Author Topic: Old four bulb floor lamps  (Read 1838 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Old four bulb floor lamps « on: September 05, 2020, 12:17:07 AM » Author: Cole D.
I've seen some of the old floor lamps that had three bare bulbs in sockets surrounding a center bulb in a white glass bowl shade. I'm assuming the center bulb was a 3 way mogul base bulb of 100w/200w/300w, which I see some of these bulbs around. What was the point of the surrounding bulbs though, and are there other lamps that used mogul base bulbs.

Here's an example of these lamps:
http://www.lampshademaker.com/images/Mogul_Reflector_Lamp.jpg

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Old four bulb floor lamps « Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 05:08:11 PM » Author: takemorepills
The 3 bulbs around the main shade were usually for decorative bulbs, like flame-shaped bulbs. When A shaped bulbs are used, it's not very decorative. The main lighting power was from the mogul 3-way.

As far as I know, the vast majority of mogul 3-way lamps were these floor-standing types. I don't recall many other uses for mogul 3 way, but my memory only goes back to the late 70's.

Lately, I've been unable to locate one of these older 3-way mogul floor lamps with the outer bulbs. Sure wouldn't mind collecting one of them!
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Old four bulb floor lamps « Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 06:29:27 PM » Author: Bulbman256
That one also looks like rounded circle of of translucent glass has a 4 watt night light bulb inside.

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Old four bulb floor lamps « Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 12:19:37 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I have 2 of these lamps in my living room. Both use med. base lamps for the 3-way . One is definitely older than the other . I'll post pics of them when I get a chance .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies