Author Topic: Favourite wake up colour temperature  (Read 7962 times)
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Favourite wake up colour temperature « on: November 05, 2017, 09:04:18 PM » Author: sol
This thread follows a series of opinion topics in the off-topic section, but I elected to post here as it pertains explicitly to lighting.

In the morning, particularly when the sun hasn't risen yet, what is your favourite colour temperature of light ?

On the other hand, what colour temperatures do you prefer just before going to bed (say 1-2 hours before) ?

I use the same setup at night and in the morning, which is a couple of F15T8 in SP35, a CDM Elite of 930, and some Osram Lumilux 840 in kitchen under cabinet lights. I'd like to find a way to fit a 6500K halide in the decor somehow, but haven't figured it out yet. This would be a morning-only fixture (or during the day when it is very dark and grey, or in the very early evening).
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Favourite wake up colour temperature « Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 06:32:50 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
HPS, (idk what the colour temp is for HPS)

everytime i wake up i kick the desklamp on, and it stays on til i leave in the morning, then i kick it on when i get home, and it stays on til i go to bed, sometimes i fall asleep on accident without turning it off and it stays on over night, its pleasant to wake up to... I've always regretted leaving any other lamp on.... especially fluorescent.... incandescent lamps on a dimmer are also pleasant, that bird cage bulb is above my bed, not very bright (intentional).

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Favourite wake up colour temperature « Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 03:04:47 PM » Author: CEB1993
I like to wake up to a really dim incandescent glow (approx. 2200K)  My alarm clock has a small incandescent light that turns on dimly and gradually brightens 30 minutes before the alarm goes off. 

I like to either use a 3-way light bulb or a dimmer switch for my bedside lamp, so I can wake up to gentle lighting.  Once my eyes adjust to the soft incandescent light, I have no problem switching to brighter lights.  My 500 watt T3 halogen work lamp is about 2900K and does the job of warming up my bedroom and bathroom and exposing me to bright white light in order to wake me up.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Favourite wake up colour temperature « Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 07:21:09 PM » Author: Lodge
I like darkness, then SOX lighting from the window in the door followed the SOX light in the back lighting up the bathroom window then the 4 watt BL tube in the kitchen bug trap which is enough light to see the stove to fire up the kettle, and then I don't turn on a light until it's done and the hot drink is ready then the colors don't matter because by that time the other half is up and she will turn on every light in the house, except the 3000K metal halide in the living room because it takes to long to warm up... 

But I was playing with a 55 watt SOX the other day and they are pretty nice to wake up to, as they take several minutes to warm up so your eyes have time to catch up nicely...
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Favourite wake up colour temperature « Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 01:23:50 PM » Author: CEB1993
I just got some Philips Softone bulbs (Philips version of Soft Pink).  I think these would be nice to put on a dimmer to simulate a natural pink and orange sunrise.  Just a gentle wake up for now.  Once I turn the pink bulbs on full brightness, I'll crank up my bright white Hungarian GE T3 halogen in my work lamp, grab a cup of black coffee, and get a jumpstart to my day  8)

The bright light and the heat from my halogen lamp is really nice on these dark and cold autumn mornings, especially now that it's Daylight Savings.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Favourite wake up colour temperature « Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 02:31:47 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I just got some Philips Softone bulbs (Philips version of Soft Pink).  I think these would be nice to put on a dimmer to simulate a natural pink and orange sunrise.  Just a gentle wake up for now.  Once I turn the pink bulbs on full brightness, I'll crank up my bright white Hungarian GE T3 halogen in my work lamp, grab a cup of black coffee, and get a jumpstart to my day  8)

The bright light and the heat from my halogen lamp is really nice on these dark and cold autumn mornings, especially now that it's Daylight Savings.

you could use an LPS lamp if you want something that warms up slowly and comes up (sorta) like the sun... it'd take less energy and it'd require no handling of a dimmer.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Favourite wake up colour temperature « Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 12:36:47 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
I have some houseplants in my bedroom, one of the lights for them is 4 F54T5's : 6400k, 3000k, Red, Blue.
That's what I wake up to in the morning.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Favourite wake up colour temperature « Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 08:15:40 PM » Author: takemorepills
I have RGBWW lighting in my bedroom, and I have tinkered with the cool temps and warm temps with no discernible difference for me.

I can even do the purple/orange/pink sunset effect as I have 4 separate RGBWW lamps that can be independently controlled. I will admit I like this effect, but it doesn't seem to do much more than look great.

I generally just turn on my warm white room lights if I want to jolt myself out of bed in the morning.

Not saying colour temp isn't useful for most people, but I am one who doesn't respond to it.
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Favourite wake up colour temperature « Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 08:32:18 PM » Author: sol
Wow, very interesting and personalised setups you have here. If I ever build a very large floor lamp, for example, I would try to have two colour temperatures of halides, one for the evening (lower K) and one for the morning (higher K).

I always wanted to try the sunrise simulators. I might try to find one, an incandescent would be my preference, though.
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Favourite wake up colour temperature « Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 08:36:41 PM » Author: CEB1993
I am considering a pair of GE Align LED bulbs for my bedroom.  One is 2200K and intended to replicate warm candlelight or a soft sunrise or sunset.  The other is 7000K and intended to replicate bright, pure sunlight.  I would start out with the warm 2200K lamp and ease my way up to the crisp, bright 7000K lamp to let my eyes and body know that it's time to wake up and start the day. 8)

Stop the lamp bans!

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Favourite wake up colour temperature « Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 08:46:16 PM » Author: sol
I am considering a pair of GE Align LED bulbs for my bedroom.  One is 2200K and intended to replicate warm candlelight or a soft sunrise or sunset.  The other is 7000K and intended to replicate bright, pure sunlight.  I would start out with the warm 2200K lamp and ease my way up to the crisp, bright 7000K lamp to let my eyes and body know that it's time to wake up and start the day. 8)

Now, that is a great idea !
F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
Re: Favourite wake up colour temperature « Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 11:59:06 AM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
6500K, 7000K, 7500K counting by 5s until 13000K

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Favourite wake up colour temperature « Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 01:28:32 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
lol my eyes would self destruct....

~Owen

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Favourite wake up colour temperature « Reply #13 on: December 31, 2017, 02:29:52 PM » Author: Medved

Above 7000K it can not be called wite anymore...

No more selfballasted c***

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Favourite wake up colour temperature « Reply #14 on: December 31, 2017, 02:37:54 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Aren't mercury lamps around 8000K? (the clear ones)

~Owen

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies