Author Topic: Philips Halogena Energy Saver Lamps - They might be junk...  (Read 6680 times)
Semi-Comma

View Posts
View Gallery

Philips Halogena Energy Saver Lamps - They might be junk... « on: January 10, 2008, 12:38:58 AM » Author: Semi-Comma
Silverliner/Dave posted a pic a while back: http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-16592

I like the idea of these (and the shape!) but I'm not too thrilled with them having just bought a two pack. Had one running, dimmed to about 40%, and tapped (tapped) it, it got really bright for a second and died. The lamp lived for maybe a minute and died from a... finger tap? Either I got a bad one or they're NOT lamps you'd want in a ceiling fan. And for $5 each, they should be suitable for anything.

Also, anyone know what rattles in these things? Both of mine have something that rattles softly in them. Really curious about that.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 12:40:51 AM by Semi-Comma » Logged
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Philips Halogena Energy Saver Lamps - They might be junk... « Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 01:18:02 AM » Author: Silverliner
Hmmm I have not seen a problem with these lamps so far, the ones I have seen in the downlights on display at Home Depot seem to keep going on and on. None of mine failed so far. They do seem to be pretty touchy to vibrations, they flickered a little when I accidentally bumped them in the lamps. The rattles are from the capsules having a little free play in the brackets that hold them into place. How hard did you hit yours?

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Semi-Comma

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips Halogena Energy Saver Lamps - They might be junk... « Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 02:35:44 AM » Author: Semi-Comma
Tap on your desk as if you were.. tapping on your desk. There's a 9 out of 10 chance it'll be identical to what I did. Wasn't hard at all. I'll never give a lamp a good smack unless it's cheap and somewhat important that it can handle some vibration. Actually tried it with the other one in the two pack, and sure enough, it got brighter. Not quite as bright as the first one though.

Also, just looking into the lamp while flipping it over, I can see something moving inside of the stem through the clear spot above the base. Looks kinda like a piece of woven fiberglass. Now I'm wondering what that thing is for.
SeanB~1

View Posts
View Gallery

Philips Halogena Energy Saver Lamps - They might be junk... « Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 01:54:56 PM » Author: SeanB~1
Most likely the coiled filament partially shorted out, probably because the lamp is run so hot to get the efficiency up.
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Philips Halogena Energy Saver Lamps - They might be junk... « Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 08:15:19 PM » Author: Silverliner
This evening I kinda did a little test. The floor lamp in the living room downstairs has a 40w energy saver lamp, so while it was lit I tapped the lamp just below the bulb, enough to make the socket move in the air a little. The lamp went a little dimmer. Turned it off then back on, it was back to normal brightness. Could be that shaking the filament causes it to lose efficiency temporarily because filaments must be precisely centered to get all the IR rays reflected directly back on the filament. Remember the energy saver lamps have unsupported filaments, so be careful!

Electrician.

Semi-Comma

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips Halogena Energy Saver Lamps - They might be junk... « Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 12:21:42 AM » Author: Semi-Comma
Yeah, except mine got really bright for a second and immediately burned out. I'm thinking somehow the filament shorted, which is more logical in my case. Especially since I've had the same thing happen with other lamps with badly supported or unsupported filaments. I'm thinking it'd be best to keep them out of ceiling fans and fixtures that aren't hard mounted.

I actually tapped mine as a test, because I was considering using it in the clamp lamp in my room . That one that had the Feit "Original" 1910 replical lamp in it. That thing is often subjected to random shock. I actually broke the glass stem in one of my 1910 replicas, as a result of, well, not looking where I was throwing my hand.. yeah shut up... I've actually smacked that Feit "Original" lamp several times, and it survived all but.. one of them.  :-\

Really liked the shape of the Halogena Energy Savers and that's why I was thinking of using them in place of the 1910 replica lamps. Gonna wind up using a Duro-Test ATC Wattsaver, as I have somewhere in the ballpark of 80 of them, a mix of 54 and 90 watt. And I personally KNOW those things can take a beating, and they look pretty. I'd be using one of my other Feit "Originals" but they discontinued them, and I only have three left.
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Philips Halogena Energy Saver Lamps - They might be junk... « Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 04:08:22 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
I actually did the test on a flood light version that was in the kitchen eyeball fixtures....I tapped 2 of them (we put 2 lamps to replace 2 burnt out 2005 Philips lamps) And I tapped both of them by the face of the lamp......the first one seems more sensitive than the other one....it just flashed dimmer for just a second and went back to normal brightness but not badly at all, the other one did it too but not as obvious that some people wouldn't really notice the dimming flash....

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

mr_big
Re: Philips Halogena Energy Saver Lamps - They might be junk... « Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 12:37:00 AM » Author: mr_big
Semi comma, my guess as for why your's burnt out was maybe you got a defective one ???
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Philips Halogena Energy Saver Lamps - They might be junk... « Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 03:50:09 AM » Author: Silverliner
There's a 40w R-20 Halogena Energy Saver lamp at the local Home Cheapo that has been still going strong since early October in a small recessed can on display. That's 2500 hours so far on the lamp. Not bad!

Electrician.

lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Zero 88 Lighting Controls Rule!

Re: Philips Halogena Energy Saver Lamps - They might be junk... « Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 10:26:13 AM » Author: lightman64
i hate those things! i tried them a year ago as a better light than a cfl. they don't give off as much light and they say they do. and when i dimmed one it went out. don't waste your money on these!

The future of street lighting is Induction, not nasty HPS lights or cr@ppy LED lights!
Preheat CFL's should make a comeback!

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Philips Halogena Energy Saver Lamps - They might be junk... « Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 11:05:03 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
I installed those a year ago, they both just work perfectly fine and still bright and well! ...when the other incandescents blows out, we will replace them with those halogens most likely since they give off much better light than the CFL we have in the same room!.....so I can't say I hate them since I am not having any problems with those energy saver halogens.....

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Philips Halogena Energy Saver Lamps - They might be junk... « Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 12:54:26 PM » Author: Foxtronix
In 2012 if incandescents disapear completly I'll buy these halogens big time over CFLs for most applications.

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Philips Halogena Energy Saver Lamps - They might be junk... « Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 12:34:21 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
Agreed  :) but the law actually does not say to ban incandescent 100%... they want to ban ones that do not meet the standards...

but watch out for one group I'll rather not say the name......who wants to ban EVERY kind of lamps and only use nothing but LEDs.....ask Dave (Silverliner) about it!

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Philips Halogena Energy Saver Lamps - They might be junk... « Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 12:58:17 AM » Author: FGS
I was almost their unofficial member (shared the same feeling about LEDs). (PM me the name.) In late 2005 early 2006 I did a school presentation promoting LEDs and burning other type of lamps. :o When I found LG I changed in a HUGE way. Still got that ppt file somewhere on my HDD. Gotta find it first.

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Philips Halogena Energy Saver Lamps - They might be junk... « Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 01:04:12 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
FGS I'll like to see it, no matter what it says, I say its a great effort!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies