Author Topic: My little thing fell off  (Read 2170 times)
Larry

View Posts
View Gallery

Rated PG 17

My little thing fell off « on: April 17, 2014, 07:08:27 AM » Author: Larry
Today I received the F90T17CW GE bulb I ordered and it arrived safely, but there was a rattle in the bulb and small interior scratches to the coating where something was rattling around.

I checked the continuity of the filaments and they looked ok so I connected it up to the ballast and it worked just fine.
But after hanging the fixture and operating it I noticed that there were two little square things laying at the bottom of the tube at one end.

Are these the electrodes?
The bulb works fine, will this cause the bulb to have a shortened life? ???
The bulb looks good and has no exterior damage.
How could these fall off?
Should I be concerned or just forget about it since I can't fix it anyway? ::)

« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 06:17:44 PM by Larry » Logged

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's GE Power Groove

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: My little thing fell off « Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 05:46:00 PM » Author: Medved
On some lamps are used cathode guard frames intended to protect the cathodes from ion bombardment (or in some designs act as the primary anodes, so the filament isn't loaded by anode current). These are then usually spot welded and it could be those welds, what gave up. Some designs use metal frames to prevent the electrode sputtering from reaching the tube wall, so cause blackening.
In any case I would expect the performance of that lamp (life, and/or lumen maintenance) will become eventually worse. But you indeed can not do anything about that anymore...

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies