Author Topic: Confused as usual  (Read 2863 times)
Larry

View Posts
View Gallery

Rated PG 17

Confused as usual « on: March 01, 2014, 02:39:15 PM » Author: Larry
Double post
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 05:54:52 PM by Larry » Logged

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's GE Power Groove

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Confused as usual « Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 03:11:54 PM » Author: Medved
Normally the ballast is more a constant current source, so when you use lamp of lower arc voltage, it mean lower power transferred to the lamp, so lower power input. In fact the ballast increase the current a bit.
But some ballasts tend to increase the current more than a bit, so the elevated current can cause too much extra heat the ballast can not handle anymore.

For F40T12 preheat you may use the European F36T8, their voltage is not as low as with the F34T12.

To get the real classic F40T12 you will have problems: These do not fulfill the minimum efficacy limit for a lamp above 25W, so are effectively banned.

You may try the 4 foot F25T12. The voltage drop is the same as F40T12, but it is just rated for lower arc current (they are intended as an F40T12 replacements for low ballast factor RS residential fixtures). As the arc voltage is the same, the ballast should have no problem. And with quite a big chance you will get just an ordinary F40T12, only labeled as "25W", what was the response of many lamp makers for that ban...

No more selfballasted c***

Larry

View Posts
View Gallery

Rated PG 17

Re: Confused as usual « Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 03:40:35 PM » Author: Larry
Thanks Medved,

At least I have some options. ;)

I went to e bay and bought 2 new F40T12D bulbs for $6.90 each.
I checked and these are the real 40 watt T12 bulbs.

I also bought four new F40T12 warm white bulbs.
I checked to make sure they were the real 40 watt T12 bulbs.

They seem to be selling a lot of them and the price so far is not too high, yet anyway.
So they are still available new at e bay, but I would guess not for long.

I am surprised the energy police are not on their case. :D

« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 05:44:20 PM by Larry » Logged

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Confused as usual « Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 12:35:57 PM » Author: Medved

The ban apply only for manufacture and/or import, so units, which are already physically present in the US could be traded freely.
You only can not anymore (legally) buy that lamp in China and import. But virtually all that stuff on the e-bay is already inside the US (sitting in some warehouses,...), so the ban does not affect them.

Larry

View Posts
View Gallery

Rated PG 17

Re: Confused as usual « Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 03:29:42 PM » Author: Larry

The ban apply only for manufacture and/or import, so units, which are already physically present in the US could be traded freely.
You only can not anymore (legally) buy that lamp in China and import. But virtually all that stuff on the e-bay is already inside the US (sitting in some warehouses,...), so the ban does not affect them.

Yeah I know, but the energy police might think there is a secret factory somewhere that they have not been able to shut down yet.
I expect incandescent bulbs to become available on the black market at some point.
If the demand is there, the supply will be there also. ;)

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Confused as usual « Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 12:03:35 AM » Author: Medved
You do not need any secret "black market":
- "Bulbous heaters. Beware of the stray light"
- "Special (some purpose) lamp. Do not use for general illumination"

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies