Author Topic: Need help with 2D lamp + SL18w magnetic ballast  (Read 2487 times)
Naomi

View Posts
View Gallery

ad0rabelle
Need help with 2D lamp + SL18w magnetic ballast « on: October 12, 2013, 03:28:26 PM » Author: Naomi
I had these 4-pin 16w 2D lamps laying around for which I did not have a fixture or adaptor. And I also had some SL lamps with broken tubes laying around. I got the idea to combine the two, to create a 2D lamp that uses the starter and ballast of the SL lamp.

I have an 18W ballast from an SL lamp and I've wired the it and the starter to the tube from the 2D lamp. However, it's not doing anything when I turn on the power.

This is the way I've connected things. Keep in mind that I took some artistic liberties on drawing the parts:

Is there any reason this should not work? Or is there something I've done terribly wrong?

If the drawing is not clear enough, I can take a picture. I haven't done so yet because I thought a drawing would make it more clear te see.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Need help with 2D lamp + SL18w magnetic ballast « Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 03:54:46 PM » Author: Medved
What is the black thing you draw between the "ballast" and "socket"?

Otherwise it resemble the classic preheat circuit, so it should do at least something (some flashes,...)...

No more selfballasted c***

Naomi

View Posts
View Gallery

ad0rabelle
Re: Need help with 2D lamp + SL18w magnetic ballast « Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 04:07:35 PM » Author: Naomi
What is the black thing you draw between the "ballast" and "socket"?

Otherwise it resemble the classic preheat circuit, so it should do at least something (some flashes,...)...
Yes, I realised that after I posted it.

To be honest, I don't know what it is. It's a black thing that was in the base before I took it apart. I decided to leave it in.

Could it be that I need to swap around some wires at the tube side? Or doesn't it really matter how they go in?

I couldn't really see where the wires that went to the ballast needed to go, but I noticed two holes in the bottom so I figured they went there. Maybe I was wrong?
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Need help with 2D lamp + SL18w magnetic ballast « Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 11:25:49 PM » Author: Medved
In the original SL* is a fuse (if it was pressed onto the ballast, it was most likely a thermal fuse), so check, if it is still conductive. For at least some functionality it is not necessary (you may bypass it), but for the normal use it should be there, to prevent ballast destruction (thermal fuse; when the starter get stuck) and fire when something fail...

No more selfballasted c***

Naomi

View Posts
View Gallery

ad0rabelle
Re: Need help with 2D lamp + SL18w magnetic ballast « Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 09:23:52 AM » Author: Naomi
In the original SL* is a fuse (if it was pressed onto the ballast, it was most likely a thermal fuse), so check, if it is still conductive. For at least some functionality it is not necessary (you may bypass it), but for the normal use it should be there, to prevent ballast destruction (thermal fuse; when the starter get stuck) and fire when something fail...
Thanks for explaining. I think it must be a fuse then.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies