Author Topic: LIE!!! news about cree A-line led replacement being no compromise and flickerles  (Read 2776 times)
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
LIE!!! news about cree A-line led replacement being no compromise and flickerles « on: May 22, 2013, 05:18:41 PM » Author: Silverliner
heres the link:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/christopherhelman/2013/05/22/how-cree-perfected-the-20-year-lightbulb/

a flicker-free replacement for the CFL? a perfect color rendering? these are nothing but LIES!!! someone on candlepowerforums.com did some tests on the cree A shape LED after some complaints about flicker were reported. they tested positive for 120hz flicker. i checked out a couple on display at home depot, yes they do have a noticeable flash pattern. enough to drive the autistic crazy and give migarine suffurers a nightmare. plus the color is still a cold fluorescent hue that some people may find offensive. the cree leds also have a problem with color shift over time. in my opinion, cree really knows how to ruin leds. the ceo and the rest of the cree team are living in a DREAM!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 05:20:28 PM by Silverliner » Logged

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

DetroitTwoStroke

View Posts
View Gallery

Luke

Re: LIE!!! news about cree A-line led replacement being no compromise and flickerles « Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 12:03:36 AM » Author: DetroitTwoStroke
That is exactly why I think halogen is the future of home lighting. LEDs may take over in a commercial setting, but many people like the high quality light produced by incandescent bulbs.

Pride and quality workmanship should lie behind manufacturing, not greed.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LIE!!! news about cree A-line led replacement being no compromise and flickerles « Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 02:17:27 AM » Author: Medved
It depends.
The incandescents carry one one big problem with them: It is the heat output, capable to easily ignite something if it get the chance. So LED's are way easier to integrate into e.g. a furniture (undercabinet, mirror,... lights), they offer better flexibility, they are not limited to few spots as halogens are. And consequently they do not emit so much heat on a small space, what is quite a weak spot to cause a fire should something bad happen (something get bended and consequently the hot surface touches the wood, someone cover the fixture, so it overheat,...)
Cramping LED's into the small space originally intended for halogen is a nonsense - the heat problem is still there and moreover it wear the LED's alone.

The color quality with LED's is a matter of a compromise between the color quality and efficacy, about the same as with fluorescents.
And the halogens have one disadvantage: You are stuck with only warm color (below 3000K; unless you want to loose the output even further and reduce affect the color quality by a color filter), fluorescents or LED's offer other choices.
The LED's have the huge advantage in allowing the color to adopt toward the actual user need without the penalty of extra space needed and altering the position of the light source (the density of active LED's is usually limited by the dissipated poower and not their size, so you may place the other color chips between the first color as the total power would stay the same).
With fluorescents this is usually not possible because of their size and format: The light position would shift, when swapping the tubes.

No more selfballasted c***

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: LIE!!! news about cree A-line led replacement being no compromise and flickerles « Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 05:39:29 AM » Author: dor123
Quote from the article:
"That performance is a big reason Cree now boasts $1.3 billion in sales and $70 million in earnings. Its market cap of $7 billion has doubled in less than a year; investors foresee broad adoption of LEDs once federal lighting standards force the phaseout of 40- and 60-watt incandescents in 2014. Nationwide, of roughly 6 billion lightbulbs in American homes, 3.6 billion are incandescents. Lighting sucks up roughly 14% of America’s electricity; replacing all those Edison bulbs with LEDs could cut that demand in half."
LIE!!!!!!: The reason for the multi-billion revenue and sales, isn't because of the performance of their LED lamps and their low price, but because these lamps are as expensive as an 400W MH lamps, and aren't last for more than a few weeks. No light bulb manufacturer, had such high money values from revenue and sales. The revenue and sales value of the company, have no room here. They aren't a factor to prove an evidence for the LED efficiency, lifespan and reliability.

This is the same reason why Apple also does billions in less than a year: Their IPads/IPhones/IPods/IMacs/Macbooks, are unrepairable, and have a non replaceable batteries that designed to be shut down after a periodic number of charge (The devices have this as well). If the battery is dead, a new device is bought. Also, a new model comes every half year, rendering the former model antique and obsolete.

The same is the LEDs: All of this "green" actions, are actually planned obsolescence and product placements. These are many applications, where incandescents (and sometimes halogens as well) are the only choice (Locations where fully sealed, waterproof, enclosed fixtures with 12V-24V incandescent lamps is a must [Shalters, caves and area with 100% humidity {The caves of Rosh Hanikra}], toilets, bathrooms, staircases, motion detectors, etc...)

Also: Notice the offending and the violent nature of the writing in these articles (They offending and disregards Thomas Edison as if its first commercial mass producted incandescent lamp, was a nasty invention [Which is NOT: The lamp had a life greater than every LED in history]).

Such articles have to be taken with a caution. Such articles can be often mislead and can be a product placement.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 09:06:17 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LIE!!! news about cree A-line led replacement being no compromise and flickerles « Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 11:52:26 AM » Author: Medved
The source of the large revenue is the fact the LED's are cheap - cheap for CREE (or any other maker) to manufacture.
So when their market price is high (like e.g. the 400W MH), they make up for the high revenue...

No more selfballasted c***

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: LIE!!! news about cree A-line led replacement being no compromise and flickerles « Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 02:10:09 AM » Author: dor123
Also: Notice the offending and the violent nature of the writing in these articles (They offending and disregards Thomas Edison as if its first commercial mass producted incandescent lamp, was a nasty invention [Which is NOT: The lamp had a life greater than every LED in history]).
I have been confused. The article itself don't seems offending. They simply quotes offending, disregarding and violent texts and said words from an ad of Cree about their A-line LED lamps (Which is a typical for any ad from North America, Israel (Not sure when this was stated here), and probably other countries).

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies