Author Topic: Discontinuation of MV Black Lights  (Read 8309 times)
BG101

View Posts
View Gallery

EYE H80 Mercury Vapour

Brian TheTellyman
Re: Discontinuation of MV Black Lights « Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 11:29:47 AM » Author: BG101
I would expect a Woods glass lamp to run much hotter than a standard clear or coated lamp due to absorption of the visible light by the glass, therefore I'll be very careful to shield this properly from the rain.

BG

Say NO to DICTATORSHIP in the form of bulb/tube/ballast bans !!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Discontinuation of MV Black Lights « Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 02:59:20 PM » Author: Ash
Or avoid running it when it rains, Or use a cover and only open it in nice weather
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Discontinuation of MV Black Lights « Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 03:40:45 PM » Author: Medved
And all the dopants afect the mechanical properties of the glass as well. And because the Wood's glass is made mainly to specifically filter out the visible part of the spectrum, I won't expect it to be as robust as the hard glass use to be...

No more selfballasted c***

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Discontinuation of MV Black Lights « Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 04:44:29 PM » Author: James
The vast majority of blacklight mercury lamps and blacklight blue fluorescents have or will be phased out in Europe.  Reason is because the Woods glass often contains lead oxide, and the EU directive on Restriction of Hazardous Substances has recently been strengthened.  Lead used to be permitted in some applications like Woods glass and fluorescent lamp stems, but that exemption has now come to an end.  Many factories are apparently unable to completely get rid of the lead, and have to stop making these lamps.  For instance the biggest supplier of blacklight mercury lamps used to be Iwasaki, but now they have had to stop for this reason.  A few companies like Sylvania and Philips have developed lead-free blacklight glass and will continue selling blacklight lamps in EU.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Discontinuation of MV Black Lights « Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 11:51:42 PM » Author: dor123
The vast majority of blacklight mercury lamps and blacklight blue fluorescents have or will be phased out in Europe.  Reason is because the Woods glass often contains lead oxide, and the EU directive on Restriction of Hazardous Substances has recently been strengthened.  Lead used to be permitted in some applications like Woods glass and fluorescent lamp stems, but that exemption has now come to an end.  Many factories are apparently unable to completely get rid of the lead, and have to stop making these lamps.  For instance the biggest supplier of blacklight mercury lamps used to be Iwasaki, but now they have had to stop for this reason.  A few companies like Sylvania and Philips have developed lead-free blacklight glass and will continue selling blacklight lamps in EU.
The EU needs to get lost. The lead oxide isn't poisoning at all, when it contained inside the glass, and it isn't dangerous. This is just an excuse of the EU, to get rid of all toxic and "Dagnerous" materials, that in use, even if in their appliactions, they aren't dangerous at all (Remember that there are UV MH lamps that uses lead as their halide [Pb-Ga UV MH lamps]).
This means that the era of the blacklight theatre and the use of blacklight effects in nightclub, stage lighting, parties and special fluorescent effects, is over.

All of these actions, is to promote the use of the UV LEDs, that aren't suitable for the appliactions, where mercury and fluorescent blacklights were used all the time (Except money checking).

Update:
Reason is because the Woods glass often contains lead oxide, and the EU directive on Restriction of Hazardous Substances has recently been strengthened.
I think that the reason of the EU plan to phase out the blacklight lamps, is actually a false conspiracy. Wood glass DON'T contains any lead. Wood glass is essentially glass, but with a higher than normal iron and nikel oxides. Nothing else.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 09:45:23 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Danny

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Discontinuation of MV Black Lights « Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 12:23:37 PM » Author: Danny
Yes the EU really are trying to limit us to what we can use, they need to back off!.. These lamps never caused Harm back in the day so why should they now...

Oh well time to stock up lads
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Discontinuation of MV Black Lights « Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 12:34:03 PM » Author: Ash
I see here a peroblem :

Current woods glass banned

Sylvania and Philips have a substitute

This will probably e patented

So prevent others from using the same materials, effectively banning them from making UV lamps....
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Discontinuation of MV Black Lights « Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 02:31:52 PM » Author: Medved
@Ash: For BLB is for quite a long time used by many makers a filtering lacquer on a regular glass in place of the real Wood's glass (mainly as a cost saving measure). The only drawback of this is the poor durability, mainly when high temperatures are involved.
Up to now the lacquer was mainly used on cheepeese lamps, but more and more brands went that way for cost reasons. And it seems there is some pressure to kill the competition still using the real Wood's glass - apparently to boost the sales of the lacquer ones...

I do not know the composition of this lacquer (vs RoHS directive requirements), but I guess that would be the way to go for most the remaining makers, who were still using Woods...

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Discontinuation of MV Black Lights « Reply #23 on: January 15, 2013, 05:42:37 AM » Author: dor123
Please!
The G.E.C. "Osira" MBW/U wood glass don't contains lead!

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

BG101

View Posts
View Gallery

EYE H80 Mercury Vapour

Brian TheTellyman
Re: Discontinuation of MV Black Lights « Reply #24 on: January 15, 2013, 03:40:11 PM » Author: BG101
I have a lead crystal chandelier in the front room. Are the EU going to ban these next? The sellers in Prague won't be very happy about that.

BG

Say NO to DICTATORSHIP in the form of bulb/tube/ballast bans !!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Discontinuation of MV Black Lights « Reply #25 on: January 15, 2013, 03:46:27 PM » Author: Ash
Yep, they are definitely into that
Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Discontinuation of MV Black Lights « Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 05:01:30 PM » Author: Michael
Question: why should these lamps made of Woodglass be banned while all the LEAD ACID batteries in our cars don't?  ??? ??? ???
Globe Collector

View Posts
View Gallery

Preserving the Brightest Ideas of Our Age

Re: Discontinuation of MV Black Lights « Reply #27 on: January 15, 2013, 06:48:57 PM » Author: Globe Collector
  Good one, Michael. This demonstrates that you are not a pencil pusher!
There is more discussion on this topic going on here...

http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-69134

What is the difference between a "pencil pusher" (Bureaucrat) and a "doer" a person who actually solves problems?

The "doer" interacts with his environment...
    The "pencil pusher" reacts to his environment....
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 07:11:16 PM by Globe Collector » Logged

Manufactured articles should be made to be used, not made to be sold!

Fee, Fye, Fow, Fum, A dead man's eye and a parrot's BUM!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Discontinuation of MV Black Lights « Reply #28 on: January 16, 2013, 12:44:58 PM » Author: Ash
Few reasons :

Lead batteries are unmatched y any other battery technology for capacity/reliability/cost. Othre batteries are either lower capacity, les reliable/forgiving to harsh environments, and hell of expensive

Lead batteries are not made bylamp manufacturers, so they were not at the subject of ban lobbyists
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Discontinuation of MV Black Lights « Reply #29 on: January 16, 2013, 04:55:16 PM » Author: Medved
For car lead acid batteries is in fact no known replacement technology usable for car engine starting. The main bottleneck is the ability to deliver usable current for car starting in cold weather: No other technology is able to function down to -40degC (the minimum temperature any modern car should work, at least when in excellent order, so include battery fully charged, good fuel,...).

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies