Author Topic: NEW GE F40 lamps at WaMart  (Read 7985 times)
Powell

View Posts
View Gallery

NEW GE F40 lamps at WaMart « on: August 12, 2012, 07:52:12 PM » Author: Powell
New packaging with Active Spaces on the side. 2 40 watt lamps in package

Bulb says F40 CX65
Active Spaces 6500K
Starcoat

2900 lumens but NO mention of CRI.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 02:19:43 PM by Powell » Logged

NNNN!

Powell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: NEW GE F40 lamps at WaMart « Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 12:52:58 PM » Author: Powell
Anyone know the CRI of these ?

NNNN!

arcblue

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: NEW GE F40 lamps at WaMart « Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 03:44:51 PM » Author: arcblue
I'm thinking they're not "new" but just GE relabeling their lamps but there may be some changes (higher CRI, or perhaps shorter life) so they can meet the new U.S. efficacy standards.

Reveal: 2600K (replaces old Warm White)
Kitchen & Bath: 3000K (replaces old Soft White)
Work Spaces: 3500K (replaces old White)
GE Garage & Basement: 4100K (replaces old Cool White/Residential Light/Shoplite)
GE Closet & Laundry: 5000K (replaces old Sunshine)
GE Active Spaces: 6500K (replaces old Daylight)

I've used almost exclusively GE lamps in the past, but have also noticed quality go downhill - poor etches, loose endcaps or pins, splotchy phosphor, mercury starvation and vacuum loss (early failure). Nothing like the old "Mainlighter" days. Sylvania has better residential-quality lamps now, or get NOS lamps.

I'm lampin...

Powell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: NEW GE F40 lamps at WaMart « Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 05:13:25 PM » Author: Powell
The Active Spaces does not look like SP65.  I will try it with a Sylvania DX.

Reveal at 2600K is much warmer than Warm White.  Unfortunately it has a 60 CRI. And it isn't nearly as bright as the old Kitchen and Bath which is 3000K, it's CRI is better than the old 52 of Warm White, but it doesn't remotely come close to 90.  K+B is really SP-30. I have some USA made T8 (old end caps and logo ) SPX-30 lamps and they ARE BRIGHT.   

Powell

NNNN!

Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: NEW GE F40 lamps at WaMart « Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 11:01:43 PM » Author: Patrick
Yep, the lamps have been rebranded.  I don't really get their reasoning.  What makes a 5000K lamp best for clothes and a 3000K lamp best for food?  Why would I want to use a warmer lamp in a "work space" and a cooler lamp in something called an "active space"?  I'd think people would be most concerned with understand how the lamp will make their surroundings appear and whether or not it matches their existing lamps.  The best way to accomplish this is to standardize naming across manufactures and not vary the names over time.  Back when just about everything was halophosphate, they did a pretty good job, but not so much with the triphosphor lamps.  Even the commercial ordering codes are not entirely consistent across manufactures (e.g, F32T8/SP41 (GE), F32T8/TL741 (Philips), FO32/741 (Sylvania))

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

Powell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: NEW GE F40 lamps at WaMart « Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 11:48:08 AM » Author: Powell
What I am saying is, changing the names of lamps does not automatically get them past the 2012 ban. I would have thought Reveal was dead and gone due to the very low CRI of 60% and it's a lot less bright than SP30 AKA Kitchen and Bath. 

Powell

NNNN!

Powell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: NEW GE F40 lamps at WaMart « Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 10:51:11 AM » Author: Powell
I put in a Sylvania F40DX next to this GE.  The GE is  noticeably brighter and the DX had a greenish tint to it. I tried more than one DX.  The CXL / Topaz F40DX is not as bright and it is closer to the GE....made in China.

NNNN!

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: NEW GE F40 lamps at WaMart « Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 10:10:35 PM » Author: Silverliner
I got some of these too. These are 90 CRI triphosphor lamps to meet the minimum CRI rating of 87 for T-12s. According to what I saw on the spectroscope, the CX lamps have the same triphosphors as the SPX series except they have an additional broad blue-green line added.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Powell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: NEW GE F40 lamps at WaMart « Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 07:40:59 PM » Author: Powell
WalMart now has only the 3000K lamps. Lowes still has a LOT of the old stock, but in the F32T8 they had the new 4100K lamps labeled as utility but when I looked it said SP41.  I have some of those so I will see if they changed the phosphor mix.....  ???

NNNN!

Powell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: NEW GE F40 lamps at WaMart « Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 10:20:54 AM » Author: Powell
WalMart now has only the 3000K lamps. Lowes still has a LOT of the old stock, but in the F32T8 they had the new 4100K lamps labeled as utility but when I looked it said SP41.  I have some of those so I will see if they changed the phosphor mix.....  ???

I found I had T8 SPX-41 lamps not SP-41.  They matched up except the new lamps are not quite as bright as the SPX-41 lamps.  It took the new lamp 30 minutes to brighten up.

As for the comparison between the new 3000K lamp and the K&B, they were close but a bit different, but close enough for most people not to notice. It appeared the new lamp was brighter, which is strange as the K&B also was new. I also let these run at least 30 minutes.

NNNN!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies