Author Topic: The gases and halides of Philips Cosmopolis CMH lamps  (Read 3084 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

The gases and halides of Philips Cosmopolis CMH lamps « on: August 01, 2012, 05:16:28 PM » Author: dor123
I asked in Philips Lightcommunity, what are the starting gas and the halide chemistry of the Cosmo CMH lamps, and they answered me that the starting gas is xenon, rather than argon, but the halide chemistry is confidential (James Hooker said that the halides are cerium and sodium).
This means that the GE Streetwise CMH lamps, have different chemistry.
Why Philips secrets the halide chemistry of their Cosmo CMH lamps?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 05:19:28 PM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The gases and halides of Philips Cosmopolis CMH lamps « Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 04:25:54 PM » Author: Ash
I think if their competitors would want, there is nothing to stop them from buying a package of Philips lamps, breaking them open and analysing the contents in a chemistry lab

So if anything, they officially dont want to provide information to whoever wants to clone the lamps. I doubt that its effective. Its just that everybody in the industry is so intellectual property concerned this days
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The gases and halides of Philips Cosmopolis CMH lamps « Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 04:42:00 PM » Author: Medved
It at least prevent from doing blind copies without knowing what the lamp design is about. And if you are able to analyze it yourself, it mean you are not the dumb, blind copyist anymore...

To analyze the halides you do not have to break the lamp - running it under different modes and carefully analyzing the spectrum is all you need...

No more selfballasted c***

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The gases and halides of Philips Cosmopolis CMH lamps « Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 05:02:04 PM » Author: Ash
This will discover the metals in the halides (which make light), but will it discover the rest of the composition ? (maybe the big secret is there ?)
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: The gases and halides of Philips Cosmopolis CMH lamps « Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 03:44:18 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Good point, Philips have used Sodium-indium-thallium for years it may be the Cosmos are no different just that the wall loading maths for the ceramic tube are different or the same halide salts in a different mix ratio?

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 56,654 hrs @ 14/9/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The gases and halides of Philips Cosmopolis CMH lamps « Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 11:06:17 PM » Author: dor123
Rich: They published their Cosmo spectra in the past. It wasn't In-Tl-Na. Also tri-band can't reach such a high lm/w.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The gases and halides of Philips Cosmopolis CMH lamps « Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 04:47:15 PM » Author: Medved
Rich: They published their Cosmo spectra in the past. It wasn't In-Tl-Na. Also tri-band can't reach such a high lm/w.

Doesn't the elevated arc loading make the difference?

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The gases and halides of Philips Cosmopolis CMH lamps « Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 01:31:54 AM » Author: dor123
The spectra that appeared on Philips website, didn't looked like tri-band at all, but rare-earths + sodium, but without thallium.

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The gases and halides of Philips Cosmopolis CMH lamps « Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 10:33:37 AM » Author: James
Its easy to find out the chemistry in these lamps.  You just have to read the Philips patents which are fully accessible online to anybody who knows where to search!
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The gases and halides of Philips Cosmopolis CMH lamps « Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 11:24:22 AM » Author: dor123
James: I don't know how to find the Philips patents about the Cosmopolis lamp.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The gases and halides of Philips Cosmopolis CMH lamps « Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 05:12:21 PM » Author: Medved
James: I don't know how to find the Philips patents about the Cosmopolis lamp.

Uncle Google could help, I believe...
But be aware, than patents are usually written in "special patent language", what is usually hard to understand (it is the intention to write them so, nobody could really understand).
From about 30 patents I have seen from different areas I haven't met a single one meeting the legal educational requirement more than only formally. The only thing, what was clear, were the claims - in the manner what to not do to not infringe that patent. But to utilize that invention, all the patents were useless (if that would be proven in court, all that patents would become invalid...).
They are only a company lawyer's weapon to attack anybody they want, nothing else...

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies