Author Topic: Three Seal Inner of Double Jacket Halogen G.L.S. Retrofit  (Read 2614 times)
Globe Collector

View Posts
View Gallery

Preserving the Brightest Ideas of Our Age

Three Seal Inner of Double Jacket Halogen G.L.S. Retrofit « on: June 28, 2012, 08:24:51 AM » Author: Globe Collector
   Our standard G.L.S. (General Lighting Service) lamps were banned in November 2008 and since then the Supermarkets have been selling Double Jacket Halogen Retrofit G.L.S.
We have Philips from Pabjance, south of Lodz, Poland and Osram from Nove Zamky, East of Bratislava, Slovakia and more recently a whole host of cheap Chinese junk.
   One of the earlier Philips' was rather interesting because it used a inner with three moly seals, the centre one of which was internally connected to a support wire. In  the outer bulb this central moly seal was not connected leaving the two sections of the filament in series across the 240v RMS supply.
    I'm curious to ask if any North American collectors here have ever seen one of these on the U.S. market with the two outer seals paralleled and the inner one going to the other pole of the supply, effectively placing the two filament segments in parallel for the 120v RMS supply in North America.
    These are made in Poland and marketed in a pale blue, green and white box here in Australia. Very curios to know if such a thing has been seen in the U.S. or Canada in a similarly coloured packaging. It would be from ablout three to four years back, c2008/9. It has since been replaced with inners using Osram's patented "bulb pinch" (TM), which I assume Philips purchased the rights to use.
    I have attached pictures of the B22d-2 capped version, although I have an E27 version too.
Currently I have not photographed the packet artwork, but the contemporary ones are similar and I could photograph one of those.

Manufactured articles should be made to be used, not made to be sold!

Fee, Fye, Fow, Fum, A dead man's eye and a parrot's BUM!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Three Seal Inner of Double Jacket Halogen G.L.S. Retrofit « Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 08:31:27 AM » Author: Ash
Is the support pressed to the filament in a way that would make reliable contact, to carry 2x the filament current ?
Globe Collector

View Posts
View Gallery

Preserving the Brightest Ideas of Our Age

Re: Three Seal Inner of Double Jacket Halogen G.L.S. Retrofit « Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 09:05:03 AM » Author: Globe Collector
 No Ash it isn't, the filament simply passes over the support, but it has two loops and shorts out a small section of the filament. I presume that they adjust the spacing of these hooks to tailor the voltage between 220, 230 or 240v regions. The lamp pictured is 240v marked.
   There is a possibility that the filament is deliberately not crimped so when one side fails, the whole lot falls loose. Tough Luck if it flops down and just a very short bit is right across the 120v....Arc, Zap, Boom. Or would a 120v version be fitted with fuses in the stem.
    I know that some manufacturers carefully design these lamps so that the filament tails are the fuses. James knows a fair bit about this.

Manufactured articles should be made to be used, not made to be sold!

Fee, Fye, Fow, Fum, A dead man's eye and a parrot's BUM!

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Three Seal Inner of Double Jacket Halogen G.L.S. Retrofit « Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 09:09:42 AM » Author: funkybulb
one thing those GLS started appear begining just before out 100 watt bulb ban.
it have halogen protected with outer glass. but the halogen capsule been around first before being enclose.
due to lower voltage the filiment is half the lenth oppose to 230 volts. the best halogen lamp in my experence
is those low voltage MR16 and automotive headlight as flood light as they seldom go bad. it what i use to light
my yard up at night.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Three Seal Inner of Double Jacket Halogen G.L.S. Retrofit « Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 11:31:57 AM » Author: Ash
James actually has a video of the halogen capsules with and without fuses, the one without explodes
James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Three Seal Inner of Double Jacket Halogen G.L.S. Retrofit « Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 10:50:27 AM » Author: James
I've never seen these Philips 3-wire capsules being arranged for 120V operation.  As Ash rightly says, there is no reliable electrical connection between the filament and the support wire and although the filament would probably light up, it would not be reliable.

Actually these 3-wire capsules from Philips are a diabolical design.  Their efficacy and lifetime performance is vastly inferior to Osram and others.  The problem is that Philips uses a filament that is one continuous coiled-coil, and where it drapes over the centre support, several turns are short-circuited.  Depending on the exact position of the filament, a different number of turns is shorted and this gives a variation in efficacy and of course lifetime.  Moreover the thermal gradients at this point are such that the halogen cycle is over-active in this area, which leads to premature filament failure.  I have some impressive photos taken in the electron microscope showing the excessive halogen reaction taking place here with enormous dendrites of tungsten growing on the filament support area, and thinning of the wire nearby!

Philips persevered with this design for a good decade or so (it was used first in their GU10 capsules), but its good to see that now that the importance of this capsule increased due to its use also in the GLS energysavers, they have copied the Osram approach.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Three Seal Inner of Double Jacket Halogen G.L.S. Retrofit « Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 02:38:54 AM » Author: Ash
I seen incandescents flicker (go dimmer and brighter when working) when the supply is ok, i assume this is because of the filament supports shorting out a turn of the filament, that turn cooling down, therrman contraction, it breaks contact with the support, thermal expansion and so on

Was there something like this observed with the Philips halogens ?
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies