Author Topic: Made in China? Mexico? USA? Canada?  (Read 5718 times)
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Made in China? Mexico? USA? Canada? « on: November 09, 2011, 11:03:47 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
Post the countries where you know certain types of bulbs are made and what type.  Thus far I've encountered:

Sylvania T8s made in Germany (early gen T-8 before Ecologic)
Sylvania T8s made in Mexico
Sylvania T8s made in USA
Sylvania T8s now made in China??? :( 
Sylvania T12 Made in USA

GE T8s Made somewhere in Europe, can't remember where.. will look again
GE T8s Made in Canada

Phillips made in??? 

I know Sylvania still makes many of their incandescent bulbs in America, and I believe so does GE? 

Thanks

Ryan

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Powell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Made in China? Mexico? USA? Canada? « Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 10:09:24 AM » Author: Powell
Add this:

GE F15T8 made in Indonesia.   Some made in Hungary

The T12 GE made in Canada by Sylvania with Sylvania date codes

Some Phillips F15T8 made in USA, some in Holland

My Phillips F8T5 K&B made in China....can't play an AM radio with it on !

NNNN!

SeanB~1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Made in China? Mexico? USA? Canada? « Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 01:01:35 PM » Author: SeanB~1
Phillips made in Poland and Indonesia are what I buy. Reflectors are Polish and flourescent are Indonesian.

A few NOS are French made.
Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Made in China? Mexico? USA? Canada? « Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 09:23:13 PM » Author: Patrick
Hmm.  I don't know if I've never seen a Sylvania T8 made in China.  Sylvania is interesting because there have been two different companies operating under the brand since 1993.  If you're in the U.S., any Sylvania lamps should be Osram Sylvania.  I actually have a Havells-Sylvania circline that probably wasn't supposed to imported into the U.S. under the Sylvania name, but got through because it was included with a fixture. 

Any idea which company produces the most bulbs in the U.S.?  Not long ago, I would have guessed GE, but with their recent plant closures, I wonder if Sylvania now makes more bulbs here.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Made in China? Mexico? USA? Canada? « Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 02:38:51 AM » Author: Silverliner
Yep Osram Sylvania makes most of their lamps in the USA. I can't think of any Sylvania fluorescent lamps made in China, save for the PLs and CFLs. Philips still makes fluorescent and HID here, and there are two small manufacturers of long life incandescents remaining here as well.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Made in China? Mexico? USA? Canada? « Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 07:03:37 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
Thanks all.  I am sure you just like me, prefer to support the companies in our home nation, when possible.  Sounds like I have been doing well with the large Sylvania purchases.  Just got a bunch of boxes of Sylvania T-8 3000k tubes to start using now that I've exhausted my surplus of mixed/matched Phillips 700 series fluorescent tubes.  The color of the 3000k is so much nicer in most of the environments I install in and already I'm getting comments from folks who notice a difference.  One of the office buildings I pass when I go into the office every now and then is a 6 story building, all with "daylight" tubes in it.  It gives me a headache just looking into the building from the outside at night, not sure how the workers could stand that. 

SOX55W

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60Hz here!

Re: Made in China? Mexico? USA? Canada? « Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 02:24:54 PM » Author: SOX55W
I've got two Sylvania Pentron 54W HO T5 lamps, one made in Germany and the other made in Italy.

And, of course there's the Hamilton factory in the UK for Philips SOX lamps.  :a_sox:

Bring SOX lamps back!!!

FYI, LED's are NOT the most efficient lighting technology available! Don't know how people keep coming to that conclusion!

My other interests: sports cars, refrigeration, microcontroller projects, computer hardware, and any sort of custom fabrication.

huffmuds9320

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Made in China? Mexico? USA? Canada? « Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 05:08:07 PM » Author: huffmuds9320
Philips T8 fluorescent tubes from what I see are made in USA. The circle fluorescents are made in Thailand or Indonesia.

Most of the Sylvania incandescents are made in USA. Philips incandescent mostly made in Mexico. GE incamdescent appears to be Mexico or China. The GE rough service bulb is made in Hungary.
Powell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Made in China? Mexico? USA? Canada? « Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 05:40:59 PM » Author: Powell
The F8T5 K&B Phillips I got was made in China. I can't have it on and listen to AM radio.....  ??? >:( >:( >:(

Powell

NNNN!

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Made in China? Mexico? USA? Canada? « Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 12:50:31 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
That is a pretty common issue with many fluorescent fixtures, the ballast causes interference on the AM dial :(  I've changed different ballast brands in the past and that has helped the issues somewhat. 

Powell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Made in China? Mexico? USA? Canada? « Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 01:40:24 PM » Author: Powell
When I changed the bulb ( F8T5 )  the noise went away. The ballast is INLINE to the power cord.....

NNNN!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Made in China? Mexico? USA? Canada? « Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 04:37:31 AM » Author: Ash
Different lamp properties (vary with manufacturer, batch, lamp life...) cause the ballast to run at different frequency
Powell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Made in China? Mexico? USA? Canada? « Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 01:17:00 PM » Author: Powell
I tried this bulb in 3 different fixtures and the same result. I will try it in the solid state one.

NNNN!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Made in China? Mexico? USA? Canada? « Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 01:43:35 PM » Author: Ash
Wait you mean the problem was with magnetic ballast ? O_o
Powell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Made in China? Mexico? USA? Canada? « Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 02:06:37 PM » Author: Powell
No. It is the fault of the lamp, but I want to see if the solid state ballast that runs 2 lamps will be HF enough to not cause that noise.

Powell

NNNN!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies