Author Topic: Fitzgerald 13w T5 MDP13 is it Supposed to get that HOT.  (Read 2538 times)
Fox Mantra

View Posts
View Gallery

Philips Sl Comfort best bulbs

Fitzgerald 13w T5 MDP13 is it Supposed to get that HOT. « on: June 12, 2011, 07:21:45 PM » Author: Fox Mantra
This fixture of mine , i have now got both working >> http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1420&pos=3&pid=55247

One is fixed to my shelves on my wall the other i got working today and put the Purple disco effect over the bulb and now is behind my LCD computer monitor.  

But last 15 mins ago i moved it a little to ajust the output but i touched the bottom metal with the ballast sits,  and it was RED HOT, i could not hold it for more than 3 seconds,
Was wondering is i supposed to get that hot, or there's something wrong with it , Thanks fox.

Techno, Lightning, PS3, Lights, Furry, Random bloke.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Fitzgerald 13w T5 MDP13 is it Supposed to get that HOT. « Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 11:34:34 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Some magnetic ballasts run hot, but that sounds like it might be overheating a bit (do you notice any hot/burnt-electric smell when right near it?) how hot does the 2nd one get? If it doesn't got as bad, maybe try swapping bulbs between them just for testing.

I had a 2xF40T12 ballast on my fishtank that got blazingly hot...if you held it for 3 seconds you woulda had a burn for sure (seriously could barely even touch the thing at all it got so hot. Oddly the thermal protection never tripped, i finally changed it out for a T8 electronic just to keep things cooler)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fitzgerald 13w T5 MDP13 is it Supposed to get that HOT. « Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 01:44:20 AM » Author: Ash
A ballast in preheater might get really hot if you have a shorted starter

If not, do you have a capacitor in series with the ballast (for phase shift of the flickering) ? If this is failing, it might let more current through (however isn;t the lamp supposed to get brighter then so you'll notice ?)

Maybe there is partial short across 1 - 2 turns of the coil inside, but then i think it will become a short (as a transformer with shorted secondary) and make the lamp very / bright / hot / burn the lamp and/or the starter quite quickly
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Fitzgerald 13w T5 MDP13 is it Supposed to get that HOT. « Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 06:12:20 AM » Author: dor123
Ash: i guess "Shorted starter" is the same as "Stuck starter".
Stuck starter will cause the electrodes of the lamp to preheat endlessly and to glow red, and this can cause the ballast to overheat.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Fox Mantra

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fitzgerald 13w T5 MDP13 is it Supposed to get that HOT. « Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 09:48:08 AM » Author: Fox Mantra
They both work well with a 8-20w starter, and the starters both come on withing 5 seconds. Might change them though see how it reacts :)   

SuperSix

View Posts
View Gallery

ATL P42STUFF supersix94
Re: Fitzgerald 13w T5 MDP13 is it Supposed to get that HOT. « Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 03:29:54 PM » Author: SuperSix
They do get hot after about half an hour, but not usually uncomfortably hot! Is the other one the same? The others things to look out for if the choke is failing are cathodes glowing brighter than usual during preheating, starter sticking longer than usual and obvious discolouration to the choke and the cables around it.

Atlas Lamps - Seeing Is Believing!

http://www.youtube.com/user/P42STUFF

BG101

View Posts
View Gallery

EYE H80 Mercury Vapour

Brian TheTellyman
Re: Fitzgerald 13w T5 MDP13 is it Supposed to get that HOT. « Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 03:38:54 AM » Author: BG101
I've just checked both of my MLP13 fittings in the kitchen which have been on all night (as usual) and they are pleasantly warm, but certainly not hot, to the touch. Maybe the diffusers on the MDPs trap significantly more heat :)

BG

Say NO to DICTATORSHIP in the form of bulb/tube/ballast bans !!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fitzgerald 13w T5 MDP13 is it Supposed to get that HOT. « Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 05:43:28 AM » Author: Ash
But do yours have the same ballasts ?

Fitzgerald Lightpacks (fixture made in UK, then probably imported without ballast to reduce shipping weight and ballast fitted here) contained locally-made ballasts which were overheaing badly. The ballasts are perhaps 1/2 the size of the ballasts i seen in identical Lightpacks in the gallery from UK
Fox Mantra

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fitzgerald 13w T5 MDP13 is it Supposed to get that HOT. « Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 10:22:32 AM » Author: Fox Mantra
Ive had one fitting under my bed shelf now for months since this Post has been up.  I think BG101 is right a bit as i took off the Diffuser one night and it was a lot cooler, Still hotter than normal ballasts but i cant smell any electrics or bad wires at all. Tried 4 different starters it does the same...

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fitzgerald 13w T5 MDP13 is it Supposed to get that HOT. « Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 11:33:48 AM » Author: Ash
A shorted starter (which i mentioned above) means EOL starter that won't start the lamp at all. If the lamp started then the starter is ok and won;t have any further effect as it is not active
BG101

View Posts
View Gallery

EYE H80 Mercury Vapour

Brian TheTellyman
Re: Fitzgerald 13w T5 MDP13 is it Supposed to get that HOT. « Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 10:26:49 AM » Author: BG101
There is mention in the literature for the Fitzgerald lightpacks of the 110V versions (presumably sold here for use on site transformers) and it states that these use transformer ballasts and use of diffusers is not recommended in high ambient temperatures. I'll see if I can find the leaflet, there should be one in the unopened box with twin 65W fitting (5ft T12, supplied on request with daylight tubes) I have in the loft which is presently waiting for installation in the workshop.

BG

Say NO to DICTATORSHIP in the form of bulb/tube/ballast bans !!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies