Author Topic: What version of Windows will work on a '02-'03 Intel Pentium 4  (Read 244 times)
Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

GE HM1000's

What version of Windows will work on a '02-'03 Intel Pentium 4 « on: October 21, 2024, 07:39:50 PM » Author: Burrito
Title says it all however, I want to also mention the fact that this PC I'm asking y'all about has Windows XP Home Edition. Will I be able to upgrade it to Vista or
7? Also, not planning on using the PC as a Linux machine.

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: What version of Windows will work on a '02-'03 Intel Pentium 4 « Reply #1 on: October 21, 2024, 09:55:30 PM » Author: Patrick
It'll depend on how much disk space and RAM you have.  You can find official requirements online.  If it has enough you can probably install Windows 7.  It ran OK on a PC I had from around that time period.  You might even be able to install Windows 10, but I suspect it'll be slow if it works.  If you'd rather load something older, you might be able to go as far back as Windows 98 though it's a little new to not encounter any challenges (too much RAM can be problematic, for instance, and some hardware might not have drivers).

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

GE HM1000's

Re: What version of Windows will work on a '02-'03 Intel Pentium 4 « Reply #2 on: October 21, 2024, 09:59:20 PM » Author: Burrito
Thank you!
Also, do you know why the PC beeps twice? (It's a Dell Dimension 2400)

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: What version of Windows will work on a '02-'03 Intel Pentium 4 « Reply #3 on: October 21, 2024, 11:14:05 PM » Author: Patrick
Is there an on-screen message?  Usually it's only necessary to figure out the meaning of the beep code when there's no video.  For some PCs two is normal.

Lighting-Gallery.net

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

GE HM1000's

Re: What version of Windows will work on a '02-'03 Intel Pentium 4 « Reply #4 on: October 21, 2024, 11:15:20 PM » Author: Burrito
Idk, I'll be getting a keyboard & screen for it tomorrow

Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: What version of Windows will work on a '02-'03 Intel Pentium 4 « Reply #5 on: October 21, 2024, 11:24:06 PM » Author: Patrick
Well not having a keyboard plugged in will usually result in extra beeps.

Lighting-Gallery.net

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

GE HM1000's

Re: What version of Windows will work on a '02-'03 Intel Pentium 4 « Reply #6 on: October 21, 2024, 11:25:30 PM » Author: Burrito
True. From what I read though in the service manual, it said that two beeps meant that the microprocessor was dead.

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: What version of Windows will work on a '02-'03 Intel Pentium 4 « Reply #7 on: Today at 12:41:59 AM » Author: RRK
Well, until you have some historical or sentimental reasons, I'd recommend against using a P4 machine. Intel kinda flopped on P4 processors generation. The only thing that P4 processors are good, is turning electricity into heat, with poor performance and huge consumption. Really! ;)

If you need just a cheap PC, get something based on Core Duo or later. May be free as well today. These CPUs are much much better. Also extra memory will be easier to find.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies