Author Topic: Cooper discontinues the RMA  (Read 1041 times)
Milwaukeeman2003

View Posts
View Gallery

SRX

Fat Squidward Milwaukeeman2003
Cooper discontinues the RMA « on: October 17, 2024, 09:45:20 PM » Author: Milwaukeeman2003
As of today, I just found that the RMA no longer appears in Cooper’s website, so that means it’s probably been discontinued.

Screw the 2028 120 lumen per watt mandate and DeviantArt! Love old cars, cassette tapes, radios, severe weather and most of all, lighting!

Molly

View Posts
View Gallery

The wild Lampent hates LEDs!

mollylovesreptiles UChSn_GuLy2eE43RAiEFyoEw mollylovesreptiles
Re: Cooper discontinues the RMA « Reply #1 on: October 17, 2024, 11:23:05 PM » Author: Molly
The two left are the floodlights. CFB and GPF. Eventually, those will be discontinued as well.

If you want to use any of my photos, please ask me for permission, and make sure to add credit. Thank you! :love:

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Cooper discontinues the RMA « Reply #2 on: October 18, 2024, 05:05:32 AM » Author: Econolite03
Curious if the NEMA style bucket attachments from the RMA independently will still be sold since IIRC Cooper’s LED area offering is supposed to accept them assuming spec of certain customers.

Find Lighting + More | Visit my Gallery

Milwaukeeman2003

View Posts
View Gallery

SRX

Re: Cooper discontinues the RMA « Reply #3 on: October 18, 2024, 11:42:29 AM » Author: Milwaukeeman2003
The two left are the floodlights. CFB and GPF. Eventually, those will be discontinued as well.

Cooper also still makes the WR Warrior and the NK Nighthawk III.

Screw the 2028 120 lumen per watt mandate and DeviantArt! Love old cars, cassette tapes, radios, severe weather and most of all, lighting!

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Cooper discontinues the RMA « Reply #4 on: October 19, 2024, 04:47:58 PM » Author: Cole D.
Curious if the NEMA style bucket attachments from the RMA independently will still be sold since IIRC Cooper’s LED area offering is supposed to accept them assuming spec of certain customers.

Hmm I wonder that too, there used to be some sold on the Econolight site for those Cree fixtures with the ears for them. But they don’t have them anymore.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Emersyn

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Cooper discontinues the RMA « Reply #5 on: October 19, 2024, 06:09:23 PM » Author: Emersyn
I don't know very much about streetlights; Is the Cooper RMA and the Westinghouse RMA related?

If you have any questions regarding fluorescent lamps, feel free to ask me! I will do my best to answer it!

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Cooper discontinues the RMA « Reply #6 on: October 19, 2024, 06:26:41 PM » Author: Cole D.
Yes, the Cooper RMA is the same thing as the Westinghouse, they got it when Cooper bought out Westinghouse streetlight division.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Cooper discontinues the RMA « Reply #7 on: October 19, 2024, 08:23:09 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
I have a friend who works for Cooper Lighting. Technically all of their HID fixtures are discontinued. They are just slow to get them all removed from the website. So any HID's that are currently still listed on the website are also discontinued. However, Cooper is still manufacturing HID lights for large customers as special order. So while they are all "discontinued" for ordering for the general public, they are not discontinued for large customers. If you wanted to place an order for a large quantity of fixtures they would likely still make them for you. I have asked my contact who works there about this for myself.
Emersyn

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Cooper discontinues the RMA « Reply #8 on: October 19, 2024, 08:48:16 PM » Author: Emersyn
Ah okay-

That is a shame, the RMA is one of my favorite NEMA heads...

If you have any questions regarding fluorescent lamps, feel free to ask me! I will do my best to answer it!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Cooper discontinues the RMA « Reply #9 on: October 19, 2024, 09:59:11 PM » Author: joseph_125
Interesting, I guess they still have the tooling to make them but not enough demand for them to make and store them in commonly ordered "ready to ship" configs like how they used to.

I wonder who these large customers are, Toronto already gave up on installing new HID lights, they kinda stopped new installs and spot replacements at around the same time, in late fall of 2023.
HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Cooper discontinues the RMA « Reply #10 on: October 19, 2024, 11:35:07 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
I don't know who the customers are but apparently they still sell enough HID fixtures to justify continuing to manufacture them. However from what I was told they are not going to repair or replace any tooling if it breaks. So they are continuing to manufacture them for a little bit longer but as soon as any tooling breaks it's game over. Or if parts they need to assemble the fixtures becomes unavailable that will also halt production.

I've pretty much fully accepted LED lights at this point. They aren't going anywhere and all of the manufacturers have discontinued HID except Cooper for the time being. So all we can do is just try to save as many HID lights that we can. Sitting around being sad that HID lights are gone isn't going to save anything. That's why I'm thousands of dollars in debt from my efforts to save vintage HID street lights I jump on things instead of sitting around sulking about it all day. Yeah I'm in debt but the lights are here and safe and sound in my possession. I can fix the money situation later.
Milwaukeeman2003

View Posts
View Gallery

SRX

Re: Cooper discontinues the RMA « Reply #11 on: October 19, 2024, 11:56:08 PM » Author: Milwaukeeman2003
Well, Cooper isn’t the last manufacturer to still make HID luminaries, Sentry Electric still makes them, and Lumec still makes the Helios. But I am surprised that Cooper is doing so for large customers only, unlike American Electric and General Electric which stopped making HID completely, with General Electric doing so in 2021 and American Electric in 2023.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2024, 12:04:13 AM by Milwaukeeman2003 » Logged

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Cooper discontinues the RMA « Reply #12 on: October 20, 2024, 07:07:19 AM » Author: Cole D.
I know some utility in the northeast still uses Cooper HPS cobras for replacements.

Nobody around here, as Duke went LED only for replacements around early 2020, and GEC started installing LED only around at least 2016, if not earlier.

Milwaukeeman2003

View Posts
View Gallery

SRX

Re: Cooper discontinues the RMA « Reply #13 on: October 20, 2024, 12:59:44 PM » Author: Milwaukeeman2003
In my area, WE energies started using installing LED in 2019-2020 as spot replacements as the lamps fail in existing fixtures. Another major utility company in my state, Alliant Energy, has been doing the same thing since at least 2016.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies