Author Topic: Why E27 led lamps kept traditional shape?  (Read 127 times)
Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Why E27 led lamps kept traditional shape? « on: October 17, 2024, 01:31:16 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
I was wondering why most E27 base LED lamps kept the traditional shape of incandescent lamp? Wouldn't like tubular shape use less material in production and on the otherhand in most fixture it would not matter what shape the lamp has unless it's too bog.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Why E27 led lamps kept traditional shape? « Reply #1 on: October 17, 2024, 02:07:51 PM » Author: dor123
This is the shape people used to see the lamp.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why E27 led lamps kept traditional shape? « Reply #2 on: October 17, 2024, 03:28:02 PM » Author: Laurens
Yup. Many fixtures are made with exposed lamps, so changing the lamp shape radically changes appereance. It's one of the reasons why people didn't really like CFLs.
Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Why E27 led lamps kept traditional shape? « Reply #3 on: October 17, 2024, 08:13:53 PM » Author: Foxtronix
This is even more true with so-called "LED filaments" lamps. Much of the manufacturing process of classic incandescent lamps can probably be carried over directly to that kind of LED lamp, notably the glasswork.

However in non-consumer applications the hassle or mimicking the old-school lamps is rarely justified, except maybe where it kind of happens anyway, say with LED retrofit tubes.

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Why E27 led lamps kept traditional shape? « Reply #4 on: Today at 02:04:05 AM » Author: RRK
People were 'imprinted' by a classical pear shape for years, sure. But many led lamps can be sourced with cylindrical bulbs today, no problem.

Philips tried pretty radical design with their early remote phosphor lamps some ~15 years ago, but this line pretty much died out. Remember these?
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why E27 led lamps kept traditional shape? « Reply #5 on: Today at 02:13:59 AM » Author: Medved
In lighting you can not just change the shape of the light source, you need to change the fixtures also to match them, otherwise the combination as a system won't work.
And there comes the power of "set standard": The lamps got that shape century and half ago, because that was the shape to be the most performing and easiest to make at that time.
Then fixture makers incorporated that shape into their fixture designs.
More than century passes and even when the shape is not the best suited anymore for the lamp technology, all the common fixtures in use are designed for that shape, so if you want to make the lamp working there, it has to have that shape also. Even when bare lamp may perform better with a different one (e.g. the narrow tubular, flat in case of LEDs,...), the combination of such lamp with "standard" fixture would perfom way worse than the lamp that is by itself way worse.

It is not only about the lamp shape, it is also about e.g. the electrical connection: The Edison screw (and/or even the British bayonet style) are everything but a safe electrical connector design even in the "century ago perspective", but because it was such strong and difficult to change standard even then, people get used to its dangers and live with that. Don't forget the same Edison screw was working as a standard connector not only for light bulbs, but also as a generic electrical socket, for fuses (there it lasted way into the 20'th century), but because there was not such tight tie to match the other equipment (what connector is on a power cord does not influences nearly anything, you just need to have matching equipment cords), its use for that died quite long time ago (late 19'th century for electrical sockets, mid 20'th century for fuses,...).

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies