Author Topic: Free to a good home : ex-Sylvania stocks  (Read 332 times)
James

View Posts
View Gallery

Free to a good home : ex-Sylvania stocks « on: October 16, 2024, 07:04:57 PM » Author: James
After 56 years on our present site at Sylvania Tienen plant, early in the new year we will move to a new smaller building better suited to the requirements of our lighting labs following the end of production here in 2017.  We no longer need such a vast site.

Mainly it will be a good thing, but of course the company will not take the legacy items of lab equipment for HID lamps, or the store rooms of mainly redundant electrical equipment needed for running and testing traditional lamps.  We can maybe keep about 5% but the rest will go.  Instead of hundreds of spares of every rating of ballast from the smallest 4W fluorescent to the biggest 12kW metal halide we will just keep a few of each and the rest will be scrapped.  Also quite a selection of lamps of pretty much every type, nothing really old but many factory leftovers from the past 20yrs or so.

Anyone with an interest is more than welcome to call in at Tienen, Belgium, and take what you want.  I would rather see it go to a good home than the scrap metal dealer.  Same also for the production / prototyping equipment in case anyone here has interests in eg vacuum devices.

See below photos of the kind of equipment we have to clear out.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2024, 07:25:05 PM by James » Logged
James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Free to a good home : ex-Sylvania stocks « Reply #1 on: October 16, 2024, 07:21:05 PM » Author: James
FL magnetic ballasts
HID electronic ballasts 20W > 2500W
Typical HID geartrays
Short arc fixtures / ballasts
James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Free to a good home : ex-Sylvania stocks « Reply #2 on: October 16, 2024, 07:23:05 PM » Author: James
Lampholders, accessories.
More photos to follow tomorrow, already hit the daily upload limit!
Emersyn

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Free to a good home : ex-Sylvania stocks « Reply #3 on: October 16, 2024, 08:46:58 PM » Author: Emersyn
Wow that is incredible! I wish so much I could take some like the 4 watt ballasts.

I hope very much all of this great equipment can find a home!

If you have any questions regarding fluorescent lamps, feel free to ask me! I will do my best to answer it!

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Free to a good home : ex-Sylvania stocks « Reply #4 on: October 17, 2024, 01:54:33 AM » Author: James
Emersyn, where are you located?  If you can call in you are welcome to take them.

Extra photos:
Lampholders
Ignitors & Capacitors etc
James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Free to a good home : ex-Sylvania stocks « Reply #5 on: October 17, 2024, 01:56:51 AM » Author: James
Optical equipment
Thermal equipment
Power supplies
Electrical measurement
James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Free to a good home : ex-Sylvania stocks « Reply #6 on: October 17, 2024, 02:00:38 AM » Author: James
Selected lamps.  Not everything here will go but we will reduce this from 3 cabinets down to one and just keep a couple of each type for possible future measurement work.  So where duplicates are visible they can be given away.
BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID collector.

Re: Free to a good home : ex-Sylvania stocks « Reply #7 on: October 17, 2024, 02:20:57 PM » Author: BT25
Nice stuff James! Too bad I'm in NA...

Better to be silent and thought a fool than to opens one mouth and remove all doubt.

Emersyn

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Free to a good home : ex-Sylvania stocks « Reply #8 on: October 17, 2024, 02:42:54 PM » Author: Emersyn
@James I live in the USA; My mom especially likes to be in the way of me collecting lights, and posting would probably be quite a bit; So sadly I can't get any...

If you have any questions regarding fluorescent lamps, feel free to ask me! I will do my best to answer it!

Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Free to a good home : ex-Sylvania stocks « Reply #9 on: October 17, 2024, 03:54:56 PM » Author: Laurens
James, i'm asking around in my group of friends if anyone wants vacuum equipment. I absolutely want it, but i have no space to put it and that really pains me. I'd love to try making some basic neon tubes and such...
LightBulbFun

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Free to a good home : ex-Sylvania stocks « Reply #10 on: October 17, 2024, 06:46:50 PM » Author: LightBulbFun
Wow thats an impressive sight just the pictures alone! I can see so many things I would love to have in those pictures alone! :)

I really do hope it can be saved!

Specific things that I *really* would love to have, are one of those Variable inductor-ballast-chokes and the corresponding lamp chart that goes with them, and a lamp power analyser, I have quite a few lamps that I would love to know the *actual* Power of them, including their power factor, which one cant really measure with just a multi-meter alone, and even with a scope it can be tricky

are there any of those 12Kw-18kw Metal halide lamps and ballasts going spare? I certainly would not mind one of the lamps at least, and one of the ballasts!, that would be lots of fun to fire up outside  ;D

My other hobby is buses, especially the Routemaster (formerly Bulb Freak)

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies