Author Topic: Popularity of 3 way bulbs?  (Read 156 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Popularity of 3 way bulbs? « on: October 13, 2024, 10:10:22 PM » Author: Cole D.
Do you think 3 way bulbs are as popular as they used to be?

Sometimes I wonder, since I sometimes notice lamps in thrift stores having 3 way sockets but just regular 1 way bulbs in them.

Personally, to me I’m. But ocd so using a non 3 way bulb in a 3 way socket bothers me that it doesn’t work right. Although I know some don’t care.

I just wonder if 3 way bulbs are something that younger people don’t know about.

I know that most larger lamps and especially floor lamps still come with 3 way sockets… but the led 3 way bulbs tend to cost quite a bit, unless you get them at Dollar Tree.

My dad never liked the 3 way bulbs, he said the higher wattage always burned out quickly so it acted like a regular bulb anyway. Plus he said the sockets would wear out fast. I do remember the socket in one lamp having to be replaced 2 or 3 times. Now he just puts a regular led bulb in that lamp. But if that led burns out I may give him a 3 way one to use.

I do have some 30-70-100 and 50-100-150 W incandescent 3 ways in my collection (primarily newer ones I bought right before the ban) and others I’ve gotten in lamps I bought.

But mostly I don’t use them because I feel like I’m wasting electricity due to the higher wattages.

The 3 way CFLs didn’t seem to catch on as well, but I have seen one or two lamps with them… I’ve yet to see a used lamp with a proper 3 way led in it through.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Popularity of 3 way bulbs? « Reply #1 on: October 15, 2024, 10:57:48 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 I have 1 of the 3-way CFLS and it SUCKS ! It's really dim on start-up . I also have a couple of the LED 3-ways and they're actually not too bad .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies