Author Topic: Can HID headlamps blue or green with age?  (Read 1164 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Can HID headlamps blue or green with age? « on: October 08, 2024, 09:00:01 PM » Author: Cole D.
I noticed my neighbor down the street has a 2008-10 or so Chrysler Town and Country with the factory HID low beam headlamps. They look a bit of a bluish color.

Do these types of headlamps always look this way from new, or does the color shift, similarly to how MH lamps turn greenish over time? Since I do believe that the bulbs on these are a sort of metal halide type.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Can HID headlamps blue or green with age? « Reply #1 on: October 08, 2024, 11:32:35 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I've seen them go a pink-ish color but not green

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can HID headlamps blue or green with age? « Reply #2 on: October 09, 2024, 01:25:50 AM » Author: High Intensity
I've seen them shift slightly over the span of their lives, I was just noticing recently that one of the HID headlamps in my father's car had a slight greenish hue, while the other had a slight blueish hue despite both being the same age and make. Sadly i can't get a pic since the blueish one just burnt out today.
RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Can HID headlamps blue or green with age? « Reply #3 on: October 09, 2024, 02:00:50 PM » Author: RRK
Sure they can. Legal HID lamps are sodium-scandium metal halides. So, sodium loss will shift them to blue-green, and scandium loss will shift to orange-pink. I have seen both. Aftermarket lamps may contain whatever witch brew of halides and can show different effects)

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies