Author Topic: What happened to lamptech.co.uk?  (Read 349 times)
LightbulbManiac

View Posts
View Gallery

LightbulbManiac

GoL
What happened to lamptech.co.uk? « on: October 06, 2024, 01:45:28 PM » Author: LightbulbManiac
So I decided to visit James' lamptech website in order to date a lamp, and all I see is "This website is no longer available. Unfortunately the site you are looking for is unavailable at this time. This is not a server error, but an intentional closure."
Is lamptech.co.uk gone for good? It was really useful, the most useful site I've stumbled upon related to lighting!
How will I date most of my lamps now? How will I spend my time scrolling through endless pdf's of old catalogs and pictures of unique lamps?
I hope that the Internet Archive's Wayback  Machine has captured everything.
Please put the site back up again.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2024, 01:47:32 PM by LightbulbManiac » Logged

If you want to see bulbs made in Greece check my Gallery.

Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What happened to lamptech.co.uk? « Reply #1 on: October 06, 2024, 03:31:23 PM » Author: Laurens
You're trying to access it via HTTPS. Try it with HTTP. Site works fine here, just not with the HTTPS security.

Though let this be a warning to always make local copies of the things you value on the internet. If you look at a catalogue, don't just view it but save it locally.
LightbulbManiac

View Posts
View Gallery

LightbulbManiac

GoL
Re: What happened to lamptech.co.uk? « Reply #2 on: October 06, 2024, 03:46:07 PM » Author: LightbulbManiac
whoops my bad

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What happened to lamptech.co.uk? « Reply #3 on: Today at 02:32:31 AM » Author: James
Thanks for the note, I really should do something about that to get it also working with https.

Some time ago I submitted the whole thing to the Internet Archive for preservation - but at the same time hope that won’t be necessary for another three or four decades!

It’s good advice to save local copies of anything of interest.  I’ve lost count of how many times other excellent web pages, PDFs, films etc disappear without any online backup.  Whereas books stay almost for ever in circulation, it’s becoming a problem in the world that more recent information is being lost rapidly.  And that’s even more a problem with AI tools due to their extremely limited information sources.  It’s quite remarkable that despite asking such sites dozens of lighting history related questions, on every single occasion it gives a false answer.  It just repeats what is popularly said in modern online platforms, often with enormous holes in its knowledge and frequently cites the wrong inventors and dates for practically anything older than a couple of decades.  Worse, it will even give apparently random names and dates if it doesn’t know, rather than stating that it doesn’t know.  So this has given me added impetus to scan and publish original historic lighting documents and accurately researched texts!
LightbulbManiac

View Posts
View Gallery

LightbulbManiac

GoL
Re: What happened to lamptech.co.uk? « Reply #4 on: Today at 01:26:41 PM » Author: LightbulbManiac
Yeah, I usually save copies of stuff that interests me, but I'm running out of storage (795GB/930GB) and I have to calm down. And also my hard disk is full of bad sectors (I know I have to replace it as fast as possible.) and I don't know how much I can trust it. I have saved important pictures and data to 3 USB sticks but I am afraid of losing them. I am thinking of buying an external 4TB SSD or something similar. As to AI, you are absolutely right, most stuff it says are random rubbish it has picked up from random sites. Although, I was quite impressed with ChatGPT 4 because it could tell if a bulb is Incandescent, Halogen, CFL, Led, HPS, LPS, Fluorescent, HID, MV , etc.. And I also taught it many things about companies making bulbs in Greece, although, I doubt it will remember them in the future. Thank you for your site, its really important to all lighting enthusiasts, as it contains crucial information. Try to archive the info as best as you can. (Also, I have a concept for a online lighting museum, that is similar to how Wikipedia works. If anyone is interested, feel free to ask.)

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies