Author Topic: Driving with dome/map light on?  (Read 560 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Driving with dome/map light on? « on: September 30, 2024, 02:50:55 PM » Author: Cole D.
Did anyone else used to think it was illegal  to drive a vehicle with the map or dome light turned on? I used to think as a kid that you weren’t supposed to have them on while driving, or you’d get a ticket. I’m not sure where this belief came from?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2024, 06:40:14 PM by Cole D. » Logged

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Driving with dome/map light on? « Reply #1 on: September 30, 2024, 03:57:26 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
Lol yeah my parents told me that as a kid. That police will pull you over if you have the map or dome lights on while driving. Now I know it's not true. Not sure where the belief may have come from.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2024, 04:01:41 PM by fluorescent lover 40 » Logged
Milwaukeeman2003

View Posts
View Gallery

SRX

Fat Squidward Milwaukeeman2003
Re: Driving with dome/map light on? « Reply #2 on: September 30, 2024, 04:13:21 PM » Author: Milwaukeeman2003
I was riding in the back of my grandmothers Ford Explorer late at night and turned the dome light on in the rear, then my parents told me the exact same thing.

Screw the 2028 120 lumen per watt mandate and DeviantArt! Love old cars, cassette tapes, radios, severe weather and most of all, lighting!

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Driving with dome/map light on? « Reply #3 on: September 30, 2024, 06:40:36 PM » Author: Cole D.
Hmm sounds like a lot of people heard this too. lol

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Driving with dome/map light on? « Reply #4 on: October 01, 2024, 01:02:29 AM » Author: suzukir122
Yeah I've heard this as well, long ago, when I was a kid. I also thought it was illegal, and have carried that thought into my adult years.
Even if it's not illegal though, I don't particularly like turning on the dome lights unless I absolutely need to. Especially with the car I currently have.
Also, I have my dome lights off for when the car door opens as well.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Driving with dome/map light on? « Reply #5 on: October 01, 2024, 02:06:04 AM » Author: Medved
I don't know how for others, but for me it is very annoying to have light reflections when driving at night.
So I would not that much surprised many parents start to use the "Don't turn it on, cops will stop and fine us" tale to make the kids to not keep turning the annoying light on... :-D

No more selfballasted c***

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Driving with dome/map light on? « Reply #6 on: October 01, 2024, 03:03:00 AM » Author: suzukir122
@Medved, I highly agree. I absolutely hate the light reflections from the dome light while I'm driving at night, especially with my current car
for various reasons. I also agree that this tale might've been created from parents who got sick of kids turning on the dome lights during trips. lol
I'm pretty sure my dad yelled at one of us during a trip, as soon as one of us turned on one of the dome lights.
Short and quick: "TURN THAT OFF!" Dome light goes off... back to silence.  :lol: :'-)

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Driving with dome/map light on? « Reply #7 on: October 05, 2024, 09:52:43 PM » Author: Cole D.
Yeah that my guess too, this story was told to get kids to turnoff the map lights. I too, don’t like the glare that they cause in windows/windshield.

Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Driving with dome/map light on? « Reply #8 on: Today at 05:26:50 AM » Author: Laurens
Nope, never got told that, only to not turn it on because of the reflections.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies