Author Topic: Crompton Halophosphate - update, Little Garden Spectrometer  (Read 685 times)
Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Crompton Halophosphate - update, Little Garden Spectrometer « on: September 27, 2024, 01:18:08 PM » Author: Laurens
A while back i bought some 530 halophosphate 8w fluorescents from CP Lighting. When looking at them through a spectroscope, i noticed the spectrum wasn't quite like i'm used to with color 29 (530) halophosphates.

Now i have the spectrometer, we can see that the phospor is... Weird. It is a mixture of triphosphor AND halophopshate it seems. It has the big yellowish bulge associated with halophosphate lamps, but also the red, green and teal peaks associated with triphosphor lamps.
It is in a fixture with a plastic cover, blocking the little UV peaks.

Yet, they are stamped color 530 - low CRI. I wonder, why would they mix these two, and not choose one or the other? Is it like... Recycled phosphor?
If no one here knows, i'll send an e-mail to CP lighting. I wonder if they even know, heh. I still have to figure out the procedure to measure CRI with the Little Garden spectrometer. Perhaps they'll have to bump up the 530 rating to 630 or 730. I'm now also gonna get the 630 'Furniture White' flurorescent lamp that was sitting at a thrift shop. Might be the same phosphor blend, who knows. Hope it didn't get sold...

2nd attachment: 33 (640) actual halophosphate, for comparison. Has more blue colors of course. Lacks the extra emission in the green, the red, and maybe teal.

Second puzzling thing (3rd attachment): i bought an Osram 33/640 in the DIY store. I assumed i was buying one of the very last halophosphate lamps on our market.
Well... Seems like that's fully triphosphor! I have yet to measure the CRI, but it would be really odd if it were some highly specific low CRI triphosphor mix.

Finally, 4th attachment for comparison, an Osram 827.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2024, 01:30:34 PM by Laurens » Logged
RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Crompton Halophosphate - update, Little Garden Spectrometer « Reply #1 on: September 28, 2024, 04:11:47 PM » Author: RRK
Ha, I swallowed the hype and ordered that Chinese wonder, Little Garden spectrometer today too. Just could not resist for $62 shipped ;) Spectral resolution looks rather good at such cost! Let's see next month...

Btw, have a local brand 40W circline here, mostly halo spectrum, but showing a little peak at ~611 nm typical for rare earth red. Not sure if it was just a coating machine not cleaned well enough, or was RE phosphor deliberately added to make CRI slightly better.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Crompton Halophosphate - update, Little Garden Spectrometer « Reply #2 on: September 29, 2024, 04:28:22 AM » Author: dor123
I know about the halophosphors tube with the red line in the spectrum. I don't know what it is, but it isn't YOX, as YOX have several lines in the red in additional dimmer lines in the orange.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Crompton Halophosphate - update, Little Garden Spectrometer « Reply #3 on: September 29, 2024, 04:56:20 AM » Author: RRK
But weaker lines of YOX are swamped in halo's continuous spectrum. At ~611mn it *should* be something europium in my lamp, not much choice. YOX or vanadate. You may have seen an old-school deluxe halo mix, it has fluorogermanate, with a peak at red, but much more deeper, about 658nm.

LightBulbFun

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Crompton Halophosphate - update, Little Garden Spectrometer « Reply #4 on: October 01, 2024, 09:46:50 PM » Author: LightBulbFun
Ha, I swallowed the hype and ordered that Chinese wonder, Little Garden spectrometer today too. Just could not resist for $62 shipped ;) Spectral resolution looks rather good at such cost! Let's see next month...

Btw, have a local brand 40W circline here, mostly halo spectrum, but showing a little peak at ~611 nm typical for rare earth red. Not sure if it was just a coating machine not cleaned well enough, or was RE phosphor deliberately added to make CRI slightly better.

very interesting on that spectrometer! I just watched a couple Videos on it, and it sounds very tempting indeed, I look forward on hearing how you get on with it or anyone else for that matter, especially when it commes to CCT and CRI calculations also :)

My other hobby is buses, especially the Routemaster (formerly Bulb Freak)

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies