Author Topic: Designers are hoarding incandescent lightbulbs before they disappear  (Read 1507 times)
rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Designers are hoarding incandescent lightbulbs before they disappear « on: September 19, 2024, 02:29:18 PM » Author: rjluna2
Here is an article from MSN/The Washington Post about Designers are hoarding incandescent lightbulbs before they disappear.

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

Milwaukeeman2003

View Posts
View Gallery

SRX

Fat Squidward Milwaukeeman2003
Re: Designers are hoarding incandescent lightbulbs before they disappear « Reply #1 on: September 19, 2024, 09:27:23 PM » Author: Milwaukeeman2003
Never thought this would end up on the news. We need to fight for these lamps!

Screw the 2028 120 lumen per watt mandate and DeviantArt! Love old cars, cassette tapes, radios, severe weather and most of all, lighting!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Designers are hoarding incandescent lightbulbs before they disappear « Reply #2 on: September 19, 2024, 10:37:54 PM » Author: joseph_125
Reminds of of this article that showed up around this time last year. Interestingly one of the lamps shown is a BT-37 coated 400w MV or MH lamp.
Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Designers are hoarding incandescent lightbulbs before they disappear « Reply #3 on: September 20, 2024, 09:20:52 AM » Author: Laurens
Hoarding them for daily use is a bit pointless since the because you often replace a lamp in regular use every year, the hoard will run out in like 10 years or so.

I would "hoard" them for historical reasons and incidental use, not use in completely new lighting designs...

We have dim to warm LEDs here in the living room, they're pretty nice. The only thing i loathe is that they're integrated lamp+armature systems so if the driver pops in like 10 years time, i gotta throw away a perfectly good LED board unless i make my own driver for it.
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Designers are hoarding incandescent lightbulbs before they disappear « Reply #4 on: September 20, 2024, 05:08:09 PM » Author: Cole D.
Somehow I’m not that concerned about the disappearance of incandescent lamps, especially since I’d rather just use LEDs due to the energy savings. And retrofitting then into most situations is as simple as replacing the bulb.

But I am more concerned about not being able to get HID and fluorescent lamps. LEDs can’t replicate the color or behavior of HID.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2024, 12:26:26 AM by Cole D. » Logged

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID collector.

Re: Designers are hoarding incandescent lightbulbs before they disappear « Reply #5 on: September 20, 2024, 05:56:15 PM » Author: BT25
I'll buy vintage incandescent lamps if they're unique, and/or rare...otherwise it's been  LED filament bulbs for daily use simply because they're readily available and cheap to buy and use. LED doesn't do a good job replacing HID, and they don't have personality like discharge lighting.
Why do you think I've stocked up on HID lamps?

Better to be silent and thought a fool than to opens one mouth and remove all doubt.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Designers are hoarding incandescent lightbulbs before they disappear « Reply #6 on: September 21, 2024, 12:07:27 AM » Author: joseph_125
I have some incandescent lamps, but I don't use a lot of them since they are pretty power hungry. I have a couple of traffic signals with incandescents but that's because nothing really comes close to the beam pattern of a incandescent in a traffic signal and the same applies for the slight fade out incandescents have when the lights change.

I'm more annoyed at the push to discontinue fluorescent and HID, as others have said. At least those when used for long switching cycles last significantly longer than incandescent so you don't need to hoard a lot. A case of HID lamps is pretty much a lifetime supply for a fixture, same goes for a case of fluorescent. 
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Designers are hoarding incandescent lightbulbs before they disappear « Reply #7 on: September 21, 2024, 12:28:47 AM » Author: Cole D.
I'll buy vintage incandescent lamps if they're unique, and/or rare...otherwise it's been  LED filament bulbs for daily use simply because they're readily available and cheap to buy and use. LED doesn't do a good job replacing HID, and they don't have personality like discharge lighting.
Why do you think I've stocked up on HID lamps?

Same here, I like the led filament bulbs, and they at last look like classic light bulbs. I usually buy them on clearance or at Ollie’s since they’re way cheaper.

I’m pretty stocked up on 175 MV bulbs, mostly ones I’ve also gotten on clearance, and since they last a long time anyway. I would like to get more HPS bulbs, I don’t see a wide variety of wattages on clearance often.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Milwaukeeman2003

View Posts
View Gallery

SRX

Fat Squidward Milwaukeeman2003
Re: Designers are hoarding incandescent lightbulbs before they disappear « Reply #8 on: September 21, 2024, 12:13:42 PM » Author: Milwaukeeman2003
I have some incandescent lamps, but I don't use a lot of them since they are pretty power hungry. I have a couple of traffic signals with incandescents but that's because nothing really comes close to the beam pattern of a incandescent in a traffic signal and the same applies for the slight fade out incandescents have when the lights change.

I'm more annoyed at the push to discontinue fluorescent and HID, as others have said. At least those when used for long switching cycles last significantly longer than incandescent so you don't need to hoard a lot. A case of HID lamps is pretty much a lifetime supply for a fixture, same goes for a case of fluorescent.
I use them in every occasion that isn’t HID, mainly due to the fact that LED bulbs hurt my eyes and I don’t use that many anyway.

Screw the 2028 120 lumen per watt mandate and DeviantArt! Love old cars, cassette tapes, radios, severe weather and most of all, lighting!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies