Author Topic: Hanging a HID high bay fixture as a long chain swag pendant light?  (Read 536 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Hanging a HID high bay fixture as a long chain swag pendant light? « on: September 01, 2024, 12:14:36 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Since I have been thinking of collecting some high bay fixtures for the sole purpose of running certain HID lamps in a base up configuration, I am wondering if there are any ways to safely hang a HID high bay fixture to the ceiling by using a swag lamp kit or are there any heavy duty chains and swag hooks that can help support the weight of HID high bay fixtures without having to remotely ballast them? I personally enjoy the look of HID high bay fixtures whenever they are oriented properly with the lampholder mounted base up. I would like to make sure that the fixtures do not fall from the ceiling or cause any damage.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Hanging a HID high bay fixture as a long chain swag pendant light? « Reply #1 on: September 01, 2024, 04:16:18 AM » Author: dor123
In your home, I wouldn't recommend you to use a long chain, because the ceiling is much lower than in a factory, GYM, etc. Your highbay would be to close to the floor.
The gear compartment should be ceiling mounted, and I don't think it is possible to do this with a long chain.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

arcblue

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Hanging a HID high bay fixture as a long chain swag pendant light? « Reply #2 on: September 09, 2024, 03:37:27 PM » Author: arcblue
This could be done in similar fashion to a plant grow light, where the ballast is remotely connected and sits on the floor. Then the luminaire is lightweight and mounting is basically like an incandescent light. But with full-wattage HID, it may be too bright at such a low mounting height and look very disproportional in the room.

Mounting a high bay as-is with the ballast still in it would mean using heavy chains, hooks and bolts and making sure it’s fastened well into a ceiling stud. You’ll have big holes to fill when removing it later. Another thing to be concerned about is lamp heat if mounting close to the ceiling.

I'm lampin...

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Hanging a HID high bay fixture as a long chain swag pendant light? « Reply #3 on: September 12, 2024, 06:55:06 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah I'd remote mount the ballast in a suitable enclosure (you could even source a 400w MH grow light ballast and wire the socket on the highbay it) or I suppose a low wattage MH ballast such a 50w, 70w or 100w MH would give a similar effect but with a more reasonable lumen output for use in a residence.

For mounting if you're able to install a properly weight rated junction box at your location you could go with stem mounting, which would look the cleanest.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies