Author Topic: Abandoned power poles/transformers/electric services?  (Read 1261 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Abandoned power poles/transformers/electric services? « on: August 18, 2024, 11:36:16 AM » Author: Cole D.
Are there any abandoned power poles/transformers/services in your area?

I see quite a few around here where farm lands are. I see power lines going out to old sheds where the farmland ha gone dormant. I assume these were feeding irrigation pumps at one time, but the electric service has been disconnected and meter removed.

Some of the farmland will have random “temporary poles” (I think that’s what’s called) with empty meter socket and electric panel on it just left standing and disconnected.

Sometimes I see the power lines have been cut at the street but transformers still left up abandoned.

Another property that used to have a bunch of old trailers in it that were since torn down still has power poles up too. One has a NEMA head still on it with a long arm. The line to the NEMA head is lying on the ground.

I don’t guess the power company will ever remove any of it unless somebody redevelops the land.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Abandoned power poles/transformers/electric services? « Reply #1 on: August 18, 2024, 11:57:32 AM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
Here it’s just low voltage (120-277v) secondary lines that are abandoned. And a few temporary services. Out in one of the farm areas here I’ve also seen what you have, pole mounted services abandoned, with GE M-250R2s mounted onto the poles. Makes me wonder if it’s some kind of package back in the day.
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Abandoned power poles/transformers/electric services? « Reply #2 on: August 31, 2024, 12:29:37 AM » Author: Cole D.
I haven’t seen too many with lights on them. A few setups that appear to still be in use have multiple cobra heads, most seen to be Cooper or GE while dome have been replaced with AEL LED cobras.

One abandoned temporary pole at a nearby tree farm has a AEL HPS NEMA head on it that’s having by the wires.

And of course that abandoned GE Powr/Bracket at the other abandoned service and pump barn.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

CoolBeans

View Posts
View Gallery

Say no to generic EXIT signs

UCgS0pNTqygf9BJruCGNd_yA
Re: Abandoned power poles/transformers/electric services? « Reply #3 on: September 01, 2024, 09:46:55 PM » Author: CoolBeans
I have seen some abandoned lots in chicago with the lamps posts still in place. The last time I drove down Cecero ave there were still power lines and crime fighters standing in the middle of the field where the old housing projects used to be. My town has an old strip mine turned into wildlife sanctuary and there are still a little remains of the old mining operation like ore car and rail car tracks and a few telephone poles. I wish the town kept the abandoned steam shovel for display but they needed to move it and the machine was falling apart.
CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Abandoned power poles/transformers/electric services? « Reply #4 on: September 01, 2024, 09:59:07 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Plenty of that here. Some lines that track across empty land to houses no longer inhabited with empty meter boxes on them. Some even up in maine by my grandparents with old logging operations centers and mills, lots of poles were just simply disconnected with lights, transformers and wires still attached.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Abandoned power poles/transformers/electric services? « Reply #5 on: September 10, 2024, 02:03:11 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Attach an inverter generator to the downed lines and see if the NEMA heads/ street lights turn on.

Making very sure it's not connected to the grid first in anyway of course.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID collector.

Re: Abandoned power poles/transformers/electric services? « Reply #6 on: September 11, 2024, 03:24:59 PM » Author: BT25
Not to far from my dad's house, there's three high voltage power poles in a swamp...they've been there for at least a century and they're still standing! I've been fascinated with them ever since I was a kid. From what my dad has discovered, they served early settlers in what became Joint Base Lewis-McChord...before they were kicked out.

Better to be silent and thought a fool than to opens one mouth and remove all doubt.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Abandoned power poles/transformers/electric services? « Reply #7 on: September 13, 2024, 03:35:04 PM » Author: Cole D.
I just saw another one today I’d forgotten about. Off to the side of highway 17, there’s a pole with an abandoned Cooper 100 W HPS NEMA head on it.

When that section of highway 17 was two lanes, there used to be a church where the northbound lanes now are, and I remember that NEMA head being behind it.

The church relocated to the opposite side of hwy 17 and the old building was demolished. But, that pole I guess was just out of the way of the construction that it was never removed. That was about 6 years ago.

It’s missing the reflector/refractor assembly and the lamp, but it does have a photocell.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies