Author Topic: What happens if you turn a CDO-TT lamp on with a broken outer glass?  (Read 917 times)
Streetlightsandlamps

View Posts
View Gallery

What happens if you turn a CDO-TT lamp on with a broken outer glass? « on: August 18, 2024, 01:48:14 AM » Author: Streetlightsandlamps
I would like to know what happens if you turn a CDO-TT lamp on with a broken outer glass as I have one with a broken outer glass. I won’t turn that one on, but I would just like to know what happens.

Sox is the best
LED is the worst

If you would like to see my website, here is the link: https://free-5267354.webadorsite.com/

RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

rcm442 UC1Q-wYhi9O-1q4ugOaOZ9dA rcm442
Re: What happens if you turn a CDO-TT lamp on with a broken outer glass? « Reply #1 on: August 18, 2024, 09:50:50 AM » Author: RCM442
You'll UV damage your eyes due to the amount of shortwave UV.

LEDs need to stop taking over everything
Administrator #4
Need help with something on the site? Let me know!

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: What happens if you turn a CDO-TT lamp on with a broken outer glass? « Reply #2 on: August 18, 2024, 09:54:11 AM » Author: dor123
And the moly seals of the arctube would oxide and fail quickly.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: What happens if you turn a CDO-TT lamp on with a broken outer glass? « Reply #3 on: August 18, 2024, 02:18:53 PM » Author: RRK
I would like to know what happens if you turn a CDO-TT lamp on with a broken outer glass as I have one with a broken outer glass. I won’t turn that one on, but I would just like to know what happens.

The lamp will run for some time, may be quite long, but in sub-optimal mode. Outer bulb us usually high vacuum or nitrogen at below atmospheric pressure. So the burner will get too much cooling, will not run up to prescribed temperature/pressure and so will stay at low power, low light output, and likely greenish light. Eventually it will fail because of burner leads oxidizing. Nothing really spectacular...
Streetlightsandlamps

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What happens if you turn a CDO-TT lamp on with a broken outer glass? « Reply #4 on: August 19, 2024, 02:54:33 AM » Author: Streetlightsandlamps
I did know that you would uv damage your eyes by looking at a smashed quartz halide lamp and smashed mercury lamp if they are on, but I didn’t know about a ceramic one. I definitely wont turn this one on, here is a photo of my smashed CDO-TT  lamp: https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=search&cat=0&pos=0&pid=248139

Also, I did know that the arc tube seals would oxidise and the arc tube would get too much cooling. It is very sad that the lamp broke :sadbulb: :'(
« Last Edit: August 19, 2024, 02:57:25 AM by Streetlightsandlamps » Logged

Sox is the best
LED is the worst

If you would like to see my website, here is the link: https://free-5267354.webadorsite.com/

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: What happens if you turn a CDO-TT lamp on with a broken outer glass? « Reply #5 on: August 20, 2024, 02:13:30 PM » Author: RRK
You lamp has only the top of the outer bulb smashed, so if lighted, most of UV will still be trapped by remained glass walls. Regular glass traps all UVB and UVC too, so it would be safe to light up this lamp inside a glass jar or behind a piece of a window glass, for example.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies