Author Topic: When do you think the last HID street light will be removed from service?  (Read 1303 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
When do you think the last HID street light will be removed from service? « on: August 13, 2024, 05:01:33 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Since I have been seeing recent news of HID cobrahead luminaires being largely discontinued for the North American market, I have a feeling that within less than 5 years from now, the very last remaining HID street lighting luminaire in North America will be removed from service by then and cities around the world would probably have 100% of their street lighting converted to LED by then. Does anyone else feel like HID luminaires will completely disappear from the streets of every city in the world well before 2030 with 100% of the world’s cities using LED luminaires by then?

I also have a feeling that by the time that happens, any form of HID lighting equipment in the world will be considered extremely rare and virtually unobtainium possibly due to NOS luminaires getting scrapped to the point of nonexistence and NOS lamps getting recycled to the point of nonexistence too.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2024, 05:04:43 PM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

GE HM1000's

Re: When do you think the last HID street light will be removed from service? « Reply #1 on: August 13, 2024, 05:09:33 PM » Author: Burrito
I would agree with you. I don't think by 2030 though but it is gonna happen at some point or another.

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

Milwaukeeman2003

View Posts
View Gallery

SRX

Fat Squidward Milwaukeeman2003
Re: When do you think the last HID street light will be removed from service? « Reply #2 on: August 13, 2024, 06:23:31 PM » Author: Milwaukeeman2003
If this is the case, I hope more LED teardrops and acorns appear. IIRC, half of all street lightning was LED back in 2018 and it has sadly increased since. We need to work together to make sure that HID fixtures don’t become as rare as hens teeth.

Screw the 2028 120 lumen per watt mandate and DeviantArt! Love old cars, cassette tapes, radios, severe weather and most of all, lighting!

LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Re: When do you think the last HID street light will be removed from service? « Reply #3 on: August 14, 2024, 06:21:59 AM » Author: LightsAreBright27
We also need to make sure that HID lanterns are in good condition. Most HPS/MH lanterns here don't get replaced until major failure occurs. If there is a steady supply of lamps and sometimes ignitors (if they fail), and proper maintenance of the lantern, they could exist more longer, atleast here (the government has no problem with lanterns which are giving out light, even if all the components are barely hanging on; they only replace them when it's not working).

Holder of the rare and sacred :sfl: F10T12/BL :sfl: lamps here!
Also known as LAB27 for short.
One of the only Indian members here!
245v 50Hz

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: When do you think the last HID street light will be removed from service? « Reply #4 on: August 14, 2024, 03:11:23 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
Not for a long time. There's still MV lights from the 1950s still running in a good amount of places out there.
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: When do you think the last HID street light will be removed from service? « Reply #5 on: August 15, 2024, 10:38:48 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 As long as replacement bulbs , etc. are avail , HID will be around . There's still incandescent streetlights in use from the 20 & 30's . Underfunded communities and future historical areas will keep HID in use for as long as physically possible !!

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Baked bagel 11

View Posts
View Gallery

Factory suspended Z8420

Sulo2fan
Re: When do you think the last HID street light will be removed from service? « Reply #6 on: August 16, 2024, 09:47:03 PM » Author: Baked bagel 11
I know of carbon arc fittings still installed (albeit privately and no longer working) from the early 20th century. There will always be some remaining on private property for probably at least 75 years. As for public ones, I believe that some will be converted, and the rest (unless historical) will remain until failure.

An Aussie collector of the street lights of the world.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: When do you think the last HID street light will be removed from service? « Reply #7 on: August 18, 2024, 11:37:45 AM » Author: Cole D.
Yeah good point, there’s plenty of HID fixtures on privately property that rarely if ever get used either.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: When do you think the last HID street light will be removed from service? « Reply #8 on: August 18, 2024, 09:59:29 PM » Author: joseph_125
I wonder too. Toronto only gave up on installing new HPS this year. Even spot installs as late as last year were still HPS. I still see some MV even on publically owned roads too. Plus with the long life of HID, infrequently used fixtures will probably remain HID for years.

I know of school that still had high wattage incandescent lights in the gym, something I thought died out decades ago.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies