Author Topic: Cooper Lighting Discontinues HID Cobraheads  (Read 3208 times)
Milwaukeeman2003

View Posts
View Gallery

SRX

Fat Squidward Milwaukeeman2003
Re: Cooper Lighting Discontinues HID Cobraheads « Reply #15 on: August 13, 2024, 12:38:56 AM » Author: Milwaukeeman2003
A sad time for the roadway lighting industry. While I admittedly wasn't a fan of Cooper's HID fixtures, this still breaks my heart to hear. There were even still a very small number of utilities/municipalities around the country that were still installing brand new ones, too. I guess this marks the end of more than an era. 1957-2024 - 67 years of HID cobraheads.

:'(
Very true, it is a total shame. Fortunately, the Lumec Helios is still made, so the cobrahead isn’t dead yet!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2024, 12:42:30 AM by Milwaukeeman2003 » Logged

Screw the 2028 120 lumen per watt mandate and DeviantArt! Love old cars, cassette tapes, radios, severe weather and most of all, lighting!

Milwaukeeman2003

View Posts
View Gallery

SRX

Re: Cooper Lighting Discontinues HID Cobraheads « Reply #16 on: August 13, 2024, 12:40:40 AM » Author: Milwaukeeman2003
On Facebook, I have seen some possible evidence of the Lumec Helios cobraheads still being offered in HID as of now. I will also need to see if ISB Sola is still making HID cobraheads in Mexico.
I’ve seen the same fixture on their website, so I guess the cobrahead isn’t dead yet.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2024, 01:59:51 PM by Milwaukeeman2003 » Logged

Screw the 2028 120 lumen per watt mandate and DeviantArt! Love old cars, cassette tapes, radios, severe weather and most of all, lighting!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Cooper Lighting Discontinues HID Cobraheads « Reply #17 on: August 18, 2024, 09:47:50 PM » Author: joseph_125
That's a shame to hear, even if Cooper's later fixtures weren't that well built. I suppose the writing was on the wall though. Even Toronto gave up installing new HPS luminaires this year for spot replacements, having installed them all the way until the fall of 2023. I suppose if a few other cities did the same thing, the remaining demand dropped to a low enough point. 

I'm surprised Lumec still makes cobraheads as well. I wonder if there are any other smaller brands that still make.
Molly

View Posts
View Gallery

The wild Lampent hates LEDs!

mollylovesreptiles UChSn_GuLy2eE43RAiEFyoEw mollylovesreptiles
Re: Cooper Lighting Discontinues HID Cobraheads « Reply #18 on: August 18, 2024, 09:50:56 PM » Author: Molly
@joesph_125: Boston gave up installing HPS cobras for spot replacments.

If you want to use any of my photos, please ask me for permission, and make sure to add credit. Thank you! :love:

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Cooper Lighting Discontinues HID Cobraheads « Reply #19 on: August 18, 2024, 09:56:29 PM » Author: joseph_125
Interesting. I suppose a few cities switching would crater the demand.

A few of the Toronto outer suburbs have a small number (less than 10%) of HPS cobraheads still in use as well. However those municipalities have a mostly LED system so I'm guessing they probably just switch the remaining HPS over to LED as they need replacement. That said I've seen them using Cooper luminaires in more recent years.
Milwaukeeman2003

View Posts
View Gallery

SRX

Re: Cooper Lighting Discontinues HID Cobraheads « Reply #20 on: August 19, 2024, 12:00:43 PM » Author: Milwaukeeman2003
Milwaukee stopped installing HPS cobras in 2022 when the 115 was discontinued.

CooperOVZ

View Posts
View Gallery

OVZ

Re: Cooper Lighting Discontinues HID Cobraheads « Reply #21 on: August 19, 2024, 11:15:42 PM » Author: CooperOVZ
That's a shame to hear, even if Cooper's later fixtures weren't that well built. I suppose the writing was on the wall though. Even Toronto gave up installing new HPS luminaires this year for spot replacements, having installed them all the way until the fall of 2023. I suppose if a few other cities did the same thing, the remaining demand dropped to a low enough point. 

I'm surprised Lumec still makes cobraheads as well. I wonder if there are any other smaller brands that still make.
New Cooper OVFs, OVXs, OVHs, and OVZs were being used by Brampton for spot replacements around the city, but just on the roads that weren't converted to LED yet last month.

Greetings, I'm CooperOVZ. Since I was nine years old, I have had a broad interest in lighting.

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Cooper Lighting Discontinues HID Cobraheads « Reply #22 on: August 19, 2024, 11:20:04 PM » Author: Econolite03
I’m sure some places will continue installing Cooper HID stuff until stock runs out. I’ll miss the OVZ, but not the OVH.

Find Lighting + More | Visit my Gallery

Milwaukeeman2003

View Posts
View Gallery

SRX

Re: Cooper Lighting Discontinues HID Cobraheads « Reply #23 on: August 19, 2024, 11:34:15 PM » Author: Milwaukeeman2003
I’ll also miss the OVZ. But why won’t you miss the OVH?

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: Cooper Lighting Discontinues HID Cobraheads « Reply #24 on: August 19, 2024, 11:38:32 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
I'll also miss the OVZ, but not the OVF.

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

**If anyone wants to learn more about any company or product you've never heard of before, do please leave a comment saying so on one of my gallery pictures or by PM, and I'd be happy to give a thorough explanation.**

Baked bagel 11

View Posts
View Gallery

Factory suspended Z8420

Sulo2fan
Re: Cooper Lighting Discontinues HID Cobraheads « Reply #25 on: August 20, 2024, 02:51:19 AM » Author: Baked bagel 11
Honestly, I actually rather liked coopers HID line up, most of the leds f****d though. Although, I don't mind the archeon contemporary.

An Aussie collector of the street lights of the world.

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Cooper Lighting Discontinues HID Cobraheads « Reply #26 on: August 20, 2024, 03:35:28 AM » Author: Econolite03
But why won’t you miss the OVH?
They’re unattractive, replaced most of the “classic” cobras out here.

Find Lighting + More | Visit my Gallery

Milwaukeeman2003

View Posts
View Gallery

SRX

Re: Cooper Lighting Discontinues HID Cobraheads « Reply #27 on: August 20, 2024, 04:11:16 AM » Author: Milwaukeeman2003
Oh okay! I understand.

Lcubed3

View Posts
View Gallery

MAXIMUM LUMENS!!!

Re: Cooper Lighting Discontinues HID Cobraheads « Reply #28 on: August 20, 2024, 11:11:30 PM » Author: Lcubed3
They had their time to shine. Think of when the NEXT type of lighting comes out and starts replacing everything! Then everyone will be collecting LEDs.

Portland General Electric: 120/240VAC @ 60Hz
Bringer of Light

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Cooper Lighting Discontinues HID Cobraheads « Reply #29 on: August 20, 2024, 11:41:58 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Not shocked at all...if anything I'd surprised they hung on this long.
Simple fact is HID has been a 'dead' technology for years now.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies