Author Topic: First LED street light installation (worldwide)  (Read 1324 times)
Milwaukeeman2003

View Posts
View Gallery

SRX

Fat Squidward Milwaukeeman2003
First LED street light installation (worldwide) « on: August 02, 2024, 07:12:40 PM » Author: Milwaukeeman2003
Does anyone know where or when the first LED street lights were installed? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

Screw the 2028 120 lumen per watt mandate and DeviantArt! Love old cars, cassette tapes, radios, severe weather and most of all, lighting!

Baked bagel 11

View Posts
View Gallery

Factory suspended Z8420

Sulo2fan
Re: First LED street light installation (worldwide) « Reply #1 on: August 21, 2024, 05:19:29 AM » Author: Baked bagel 11
No clue about afar, Canberra's first LEDs were installed in 2013-2014, and started being the standard for main roads in 2016, and the standard for minor roads in 2018. In 2018-2019 nearly all of Canberra's HID main road lights were replaced with LEDs making lights as common as the roadster rare!

An Aussie collector of the street lights of the world.

SeanB~1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: First LED street light installation (worldwide) « Reply #2 on: August 21, 2024, 05:59:45 AM » Author: SeanB~1
First by me would be in 2008, as a prelude to the World cup, the entire street outside was redone with suspended lamps, provided by Beka, but inside all Phillips.  Of course I have one, gotten as a non worker, and after fixing up the burnt wiring due to it being run on 400VAC, it works perfectly. The early ones almost all failed early, and were replaced under warranty, generally they took between 3 months to 2 years to fail, but the replacements now, after a decade, are proving to be quite reliable.

Thare is a small lane down the road, with an odd curved LED fixture type, that got done in 2006 IIRC, that is on 24/7, and those are still all somewhat functional, though with multiple LED units inside having failed either totally, or very low output.
Milwaukeeman2003

View Posts
View Gallery

SRX

Re: First LED street light installation (worldwide) « Reply #3 on: August 21, 2024, 01:19:23 PM » Author: Milwaukeeman2003
No clue about afar, Canberra's first LEDs were installed in 2013-2014, and started being the standard for main roads in 2016, and the standard for minor roads in 2018. In 2018-2019 nearly all of Canberra's HID main road lights were replaced with LEDs making lights as common as the roadster rare!
As far as I know, Seattle, WA installed LED luminaires back in 2007. However, as far as near where I live, I think 2009-2010 for my area.

Screw the 2028 120 lumen per watt mandate and DeviantArt! Love old cars, cassette tapes, radios, severe weather and most of all, lighting!

Milwaukeeman2003

View Posts
View Gallery

SRX

Re: First LED street light installation (worldwide) « Reply #4 on: August 21, 2024, 01:22:06 PM » Author: Milwaukeeman2003
First by me would be in 2008, as a prelude to the World cup, the entire street outside was redone with suspended lamps, provided by Beka, but inside all Phillips.  Of course I have one, gotten as a non worker, and after fixing up the burnt wiring due to it being run on 400VAC, it works perfectly. The early ones almost all failed early, and were replaced under warranty, generally they took between 3 months to 2 years to fail, but the replacements now, after a decade, are proving to be quite reliable.

Thare is a small lane down the road, with an odd curved LED fixture type, that got done in 2006 IIRC, that is on 24/7, and those are still all somewhat functional, though with multiple LED units inside having failed either totally, or very low output.
Is there any way I could see any of the fixtures you mentioned on street view?

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: First LED street light installation (worldwide) « Reply #5 on: August 21, 2024, 01:29:43 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
As far as I know, Seattle, WA installed LED luminaires back in 2007. However, as far as near where I live, I think 2009-2010 for my area.
Seattle didn't issue a full conversion until 2017 when they installed Leotek GreenCobras. But yes, they did do a trial involving RUUD/BetaLED LEDways back in 2007.

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

**If anyone wants to learn more about any company or product you've never heard of before, do please leave a comment saying so on one of my gallery pictures or by PM, and I'd be happy to give a thorough explanation.**

Milwaukeeman2003

View Posts
View Gallery

SRX

Re: First LED street light installation (worldwide) « Reply #6 on: August 21, 2024, 01:34:49 PM » Author: Milwaukeeman2003
I believe they used Leotek FX’s.

Oz Optima

View Posts
View Gallery

GEC Optima 240v 50Hz

Re: First LED street light installation (worldwide) « Reply #7 on: August 27, 2024, 10:55:48 PM » Author: Oz Optima
Melbourne it was in 2012 but 2015 for upgrades.
Adelaide was the first in Australia in 2010 as upgrades.

I support the right to repair.
Technology, lighting, Cars enthusiast.
learning to become a car mechanic.
Jujutsu Kaisen the best anime

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies