Author Topic: Can I run bare arctube MH lamps?  (Read 1334 times)
LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Can I run bare arctube MH lamps? « on: July 28, 2024, 05:30:34 AM » Author: LightsAreBright27

The lamp I am using unfortunately got broken and the outer glass envelope completely removed.The arctube still has vacuum, and I just want to run them for one cycle only. Will it be safe, if the arctube is wiped down with alcohol?

Holder of the rare and sacred :sfl: F10T12/BL :sfl: lamps here!
Also known as LAB27 for short.
One of the only Indian members here!
245v 50Hz

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can I run bare arctube MH lamps? « Reply #1 on: July 28, 2024, 06:28:59 AM » Author: James
It will probably run for a few hundred hours before its end seals oxidise, and the quartz cracks open.  Just be aware that when that happens it could shatter, and that there will be copious amounts of UV-C radiation that is dangerous to the skin and eyes.  Due to the lack of thermal insulation of the outer bulb, the arc tube will also not run up fully, and its colour may remain slightly greenish.
LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Re: Can I run bare arctube MH lamps? « Reply #2 on: August 02, 2024, 07:38:30 AM » Author: LightsAreBright27
The bulb still has vacuum now. Is it safe to run as is (i am protected behind glass and the arctube is thoroughly cleaned)?

245v 50Hz

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can I run bare arctube MH lamps? « Reply #3 on: August 02, 2024, 05:32:07 PM » Author: James
I would do it :-)
Just take some precautions in case it does shatter.  I have holes burned in the carpet of my lamp room from when that happened once!
LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Re: Can I run bare arctube MH lamps? « Reply #4 on: August 03, 2024, 09:01:46 AM » Author: LightsAreBright27
I ran it for 5 secs, the jar is filled with smoke completely. Are the dust particles burning off?
Also, are there any gallery posts, pictures or videos about this?

Update- I ran it for longer, no smoke. I didn't let it go to full power yet.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2024, 09:11:16 AM by LightsAreBright27 » Logged

245v 50Hz

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can I run bare arctube MH lamps? « Reply #5 on: August 04, 2024, 12:54:56 AM » Author: Medved
Make sure you won't touch the arctube by bare hands so it won't get contaminated by the oily fingerprints. And if yes, clean it by IPA or so.
In fact the same rules as with bare halogen capsules...

No more selfballasted c***

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Can I run bare arctube MH lamps? « Reply #6 on: August 06, 2024, 01:55:41 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
@James how much UVC does a Bare mercury or metal halide arc tube emit compared to a germicidal lamp?

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can I run bare arctube MH lamps? « Reply #7 on: August 06, 2024, 11:38:09 AM » Author: Laurens
Mercury arc tubes emit a LOT, as far as i know.
RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Can I run bare arctube MH lamps? « Reply #8 on: August 07, 2024, 01:51:25 PM » Author: RRK
Not true!

Proportionally to arc power, high pressure lamps do not emit much UVC, both MH and mercury. The reason is that cold dense vapours near the walls catch most of the shortwave radiation generated by the arc. Still some UVB/UVC power to be necessary handle open lamp with care, but nowhere near that of high-power germicidal tube, which converts up to 80% of applied power to UVC, somewhat depending on walls clarity.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2024, 01:58:10 PM by RRK » Logged
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies