Author Topic: Zimbabwe’s jail sentences and fines for using and owning banned light bulbs  (Read 1140 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Zimbabwe’s jail sentences and fines for using and owning banned light bulbs « on: July 06, 2024, 11:37:23 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
What do you think of Zimbabwe’s harsh light bulb ban laws?

See here:

https://www.herald.co.zw/jail-term-for-using-banned-light-bulbs-minister/amp/

https://nehandaradio.com/2018/11/05/jail-term-for-using-banned-light-bulbs-minister/

https://www.sundaynews.co.zw/zrp-and-zera-confiscates-banned-light-bulbs/amp/

https://www.esi-africa.com/energy-efficiency/zimbabwes-regulator-maintains-banning-incandescent-light-bulbs/?amp=1

Looks like it may be one of the worst countries to collect light bulbs in.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2024, 11:46:08 PM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Re: Zimbabwe’s jail sentences and fines for using and owning banned light bulbs « Reply #1 on: July 08, 2024, 06:48:39 AM » Author: LightsAreBright27
"$50 fine and seizure and destruction of the bulb"
All for just owning a wire in a piece of glass @-@ ?

Thank god fluorescents are not banned, since many developing countries use fluorescent more than led.

Yeah, good luck for the collectors :poof: !

Holder of the rare and sacred :sfl: F10T12/BL :sfl: lamps here!
Also known as LAB27 for short.
One of the only Indian members here!
245v 50Hz

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Zimbabwe’s jail sentences and fines for using and owning banned light bulbs « Reply #2 on: July 16, 2024, 02:26:57 PM » Author: suzukir122
Absolute stupidity. There is no way I'd ever be able to live there. It would be my number one goal to get out of that place as fast as I can.
So far the U.S is not power tripping to that extent, and I sure hope it stays that way. You will not catch me using LED's at my place, regardless
of where I live.
To freedom! 🍺 👊

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

veso266

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Zimbabwe’s jail sentences and fines for using and owning banned light bulbs « Reply #3 on: July 17, 2024, 07:00:03 AM » Author: veso266
wtf, no wonder people don't want to care about enviroment if some other people direct how they will live, what they are allowed to use

Thats not democracy, thats dictatorship, why do people have to care what bulb I use, LED is not all lollipops and sunshines... and I might prefer other lightsources, its not like I will kill milions of people if I use incondecent bulb, people behave like I own a firearm or granade

for what? do we realy help the enviroment for banning tehnology like that

lets ban fire next, its hot, and way more dangerous then a simple lightbulb (thungston wire in a vacum)
Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Zimbabwe’s jail sentences and fines for using and owning banned light bulbs « Reply #4 on: July 17, 2024, 07:23:49 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
Well, as matter of fact there are allready some requirements concerning fireplaces and their emissions and tons of regulations about fire safety in many places so yeah, it's kind of been done already.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

veso266

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Zimbabwe’s jail sentences and fines for using and owning banned light bulbs « Reply #5 on: July 17, 2024, 07:45:34 AM » Author: veso266
hmm, the worst thing about this that soon there will not even be a place on earth you could move to or import from, if the whole world decides that something is forbidden (mercury batteries come to mind, althoguh fortunately for now you can stil get them in Russia (although not sure yet how to smuggle them in EU))

its like we are going back in time to 1633 when japan closed its borders and banned playing cards: https://99percentinvisible.org/article/flower-cards-japanese-hanafuda-designed-to-circumvent-ban-on-western-decks/ that band got lifted in 1885 (thats like 7 whole generations that live without something, you cannot even hope the ban to be lifted in your lifetime)

I thought world is open now and we don't ban stuff just because we don't like it

when USA banned alcohol, you could still get it if you know where to look

sadly I don't think this will be possible for lighting sources since it seams its quite easy to wash peoples brains into thinking that LED is everything and that everything else is bad and not needed
« Last Edit: July 17, 2024, 07:48:31 AM by veso266 » Logged
Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Zimbabwe’s jail sentences and fines for using and owning banned light bulbs « Reply #6 on: July 17, 2024, 12:17:37 PM » Author: Laurens
Zimbabwe is a mess. They have much worse laws than that. I could face decades or life in prison or be executed for being... me.
LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Re: Zimbabwe’s jail sentences and fines for using and owning banned light bulbs « Reply #7 on: July 17, 2024, 12:43:28 PM » Author: LightsAreBright27
No wonder the country which once had a trillion dollar note (due to hyperinflation) hates incandescents.

Holder of the rare and sacred :sfl: F10T12/BL :sfl: lamps here!
Also known as LAB27 for short.
One of the only Indian members here!
245v 50Hz

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Zimbabwe’s jail sentences and fines for using and owning banned light bulbs « Reply #8 on: July 26, 2024, 01:56:58 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Here is the law in PDF form. There is an exemption list.

ZERA Inefficient Lighting Products Ban Regulations 2017

:colorbulb:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2024, 01:59:21 AM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: Zimbabwe’s jail sentences and fines for using and owning banned light bulbs « Reply #9 on: July 30, 2024, 03:02:24 AM » Author: Richmond2000
first page these rules apply to IMPORTERS wholesalers and other people involved in selling OR installing of lighting products so it does NOT sound like it applies to owners using stock in the country and * sounds * a lot like every other version of this law
and the standards that have to be met are actually quite LOW
with "modern" florescent and HID all being in compliance
80 watt/LM being the HIGHEST standard requirement I saw on the list
« Last Edit: July 30, 2024, 03:08:19 AM by Richmond2000 » Logged
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies