Author Topic: Fluorescent troffer hisses at start up  (Read 1703 times)
Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

GE HM1000's

Fluorescent troffer hisses at start up « on: July 03, 2024, 11:18:10 AM » Author: Burrito
Hey all, as some of you already know by now, I own a T12 U-Bend troffer made by AFX with 2000's GE Watt-Miser fluorescent tubes. Every time I turn it on, it hisses like an EOL lamp. Anyone know why it does this? There is a tiny hole at the bottom of the phosphor coating which I'll add later.

Thanks for stopping by!

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fluorescent troffer hisses at start up « Reply #1 on: July 03, 2024, 12:25:57 PM » Author: Medved
It hisses only on startup and then lights normally, orit does not light the lamp at all?
And have you localized where the hiss comes from exactly? I meanthe ballast, a socket,...
And does it exhibit some other effects, like hot lamp contact pins or even some smell?

No more selfballasted c***

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

GE HM1000's

Re: Fluorescent troffer hisses at start up « Reply #2 on: July 03, 2024, 12:28:34 PM » Author: Burrito
It sounds like it comes from the lamps. The lamps do light normally with a slight purple pulse and striation. No other effects to speak of because it only does it when powered on.

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

MikeT1982

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fluorescent troffer hisses at start up « Reply #3 on: July 03, 2024, 08:36:28 PM » Author: MikeT1982
I remember hearing the high frequency ballasts due this if I pulled out the bulb while running as a kid, it scared the heck out of me. It must drop the frequency into audible range or something.
Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

GE HM1000's

Re: Fluorescent troffer hisses at start up « Reply #4 on: July 03, 2024, 08:37:40 PM » Author: Burrito
Nope, did not pull out bulbs when it does that sound.

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: Fluorescent troffer hisses at start up « Reply #5 on: July 04, 2024, 02:40:53 AM » Author: LightsoftheWest
I also notice this. Could be an electronic instant-start ballast with a high starting voltage. I've heard it with both fluorescent and LED.

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

**If anyone wants to learn more about any company or product you've never heard of before, do please leave a comment saying so on one of my gallery pictures or by PM, and I'd be happy to give a thorough explanation.**

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

GE HM1000's

Re: Fluorescent troffer hisses at start up « Reply #6 on: July 04, 2024, 08:52:44 AM » Author: Burrito
Idk. If you look in my gallery, I have an image of the troffers ballast

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

GE HM1000's

Re: Fluorescent troffer hisses at start up « Reply #7 on: July 06, 2024, 09:51:09 AM » Author: Burrito
Wanted to mention another thing, every time I turn them off, one of the tubes flashes very quickly.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Fluorescent troffer hisses at start up « Reply #8 on: July 06, 2024, 09:43:56 PM » Author: suzukir122
That has GOT to be an electronic ballast, with that hissing noise. I'm very familiar with this phenomenon regarding electronic ballasts. Usually when
the hiss happens, one of the ends has a very quick bluish purple to it. The hiss would continue if the lamp reached EOL, and there would be violent orange
flashing and swirling, etc. I think the hiss can also worsen if one of the electrode filaments broke... I've had that happen as well. If this just recently
started happening, maybe one of the filaments broke, or lost connection with the filament holder, etc.

Electronic ballasted CFLs can also hiss during start up. I've heard it many times as a kid, and also recently as well with my Panasonic 15w CFLs.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Fluorescent troffer hisses at start up « Reply #9 on: July 06, 2024, 10:39:16 PM » Author: joseph_125
The flashing at power off is also a telltale of a electronic ballast. I have a electronically ballasted fluorescent that had the same behavior.
Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

GE HM1000's

Re: Fluorescent troffer hisses at start up « Reply #10 on: July 06, 2024, 10:41:13 PM » Author: Burrito
That has GOT to be an electronic ballast, with that hissing noise. I'm very familiar with this phenomenon regarding electronic ballasts. Usually when
the hiss happens, one of the ends has a very quick bluish purple to it. The hiss would continue if the lamp reached EOL, and there would be violent orange
flashing and swirling, etc. I think the hiss can also worsen if one of the electrode filaments broke... I've had that happen as well. If this just recently
started happening, maybe one of the filaments broke, or lost connection with the filament holder, etc.

Electronic ballasted CFLs can also hiss during start up. I've heard it many times as a kid, and also recently as well with my Panasonic 15w CFLs.
THAT'S IT! I know this is an electronic ballast but they never experience these behaviors. This one is just an interesting made ballast I guess?

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Fluorescent troffer hisses at start up « Reply #11 on: July 07, 2024, 07:55:40 AM » Author: suzukir122
They do experience these behaviors, but it's hit or miss. Some do it, while others don't. Same with broken filament in a lamp that isn't EOL... some
electronic ballasted fixtures or CFLs will hiss, while others won't.
If this recently started happening at complete random, I'd take out the lamps and inspect the ends, to try to get an image of the electrode filaments
to see if they're all intact. A good way to do this is with a flashlight or a laser. It'll be even easier to see them if the phosphorus coating is thin.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

GE HM1000's

Re: Fluorescent troffer hisses at start up « Reply #12 on: July 07, 2024, 09:08:38 AM » Author: Burrito
Only one of the tubes has a small phosphor hole at the end and the filament is intact

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies