Author Topic: SBMV lamps  (Read 669 times)
Milwaukeeman2003

View Posts
View Gallery

SRX

Fat Squidward Milwaukeeman2003
SBMV lamps « on: June 29, 2024, 11:21:36 PM » Author: Milwaukeeman2003
Does anyone know if they’re still manufactured by anyone? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Screw the 2028 120 lumen per watt mandate and DeviantArt! Love old cars, cassette tapes, radios, severe weather and most of all, lighting!

Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: SBMV lamps « Reply #1 on: July 08, 2024, 11:21:19 AM » Author: Laurens
Yes, still made in China, available on Aliexpress. But you have to search for fluorescent lamp probably, they don't mention it being a mercury vapor lamp.
They appear frosted with no fluorescent coating. Production quality appears very shoddy, in one of mine the arc tube/filament assembly are so crooked, that it's really close to the outer bulb.
Mine is stamped HY-GYZ 125 (plus the chinese manufacturer symbols). They're also available in 160w and a couple more.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: SBMV lamps « Reply #2 on: July 08, 2024, 11:25:09 AM » Author: dor123
@Laurens: Searching "fluorescent lamp" at Aliexpress, resulting in 395nm LED lamps and floodlights.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: SBMV lamps « Reply #3 on: July 08, 2024, 11:56:18 AM » Author: dor123
Alibaba have even 80W SBMV lamp: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Low-Pressure-80W-100W-125W-160W_1600423915969.html
It would be as dim as a 40W incandescent lamp.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: SBMV lamps « Reply #4 on: July 08, 2024, 11:59:32 AM » Author: Laurens
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32761452139.html

Found them. The dutch title is 'Self Ballasted Fluorescent Lamp'
They're very hard to find by search, i have a hunch that they might not actually be allowed to be sold in China, even though there are still MV lamps made. It's not a fluorescent lamp, and all other HID lamps are at least somewhat correctly titled like HPS, LPS and halide.
Probably something similar going on with actual fluorescent lamps.

Alibaba have even 80W SBMV lamp: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Low-Pressure-80W-100W-125W-160W_1600423915969.html
I'd loooove one of those transparent ones. But minimum order quantity 1000pcs? Not gonna happen  :D
« Last Edit: July 08, 2024, 12:09:49 PM by Laurens » Logged
Milwaukeeman2003

View Posts
View Gallery

SRX

Re: SBMV lamps « Reply #5 on: July 08, 2024, 12:22:12 PM » Author: Milwaukeeman2003
Yes, still made in China, available on Aliexpress. But you have to search for fluorescent lamp probably, they don't mention it being a mercury vapor lamp.
They appear frosted with no fluorescent coating. Production quality appears very shoddy, in one of mine the arc tube/filament assembly are so crooked, that it's really close to the outer bulb.
Mine is stamped HY-GYZ 125 (plus the chinese manufacturer symbols). They're also available in 160w and a couple more.

Thanks for the info! Probably better than most LEDs though.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2024, 12:25:33 PM by Milwaukeeman2003 » Logged

Screw the 2028 120 lumen per watt mandate and DeviantArt! Love old cars, cassette tapes, radios, severe weather and most of all, lighting!

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: SBMV lamps « Reply #6 on: July 08, 2024, 12:27:00 PM » Author: dor123
They should have good life on base-up use.

Milwaukeeman2003

View Posts
View Gallery

SRX

Re: SBMV lamps « Reply #7 on: July 08, 2024, 12:28:11 PM » Author: Milwaukeeman2003

Thanks! Since they’re 110-130V, I should be able to run them here in the US.

Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: SBMV lamps « Reply #8 on: July 08, 2024, 03:04:06 PM » Author: Laurens

Thanks for the info! Probably better than most LEDs though.

Err... No.
I bought two of those 125w ones. One - the one i kept - has the internal assembly at an angle, but not too bad.
One other i sold to a coworker who will only very incidentally use it as a insect attractand light bulb for insect spotting. That internal assembly was angled to such a degree that it gets within one centimeter of touching the outer bulb. I reckon it will eventually die because of it, but even if it only lasts for 500 hours, it'll be enough for a life time of incidental insect spotting.

Quality is hard to judge by just two of them, but so far they are not on par with whatever bottom shelf LED lamp you get at a hardware store. Set your bar low. They're fun things anyway because they don't have a fluorescent coating, so they show much more of the mercury spectrum - especially if you dial back the voltage a bit so the filament rapidly drops in brightness. Despite their flaws i still highly recommend them for the novelty of a non-fluorescent MV lamp. They ship them in a very well protected box.

They're also not very bright once warmed up. Though i will have to compare directly between my Philips ML160 and the Chinese one which also appears to draw 160w while being a 125w specced lamp.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2024, 03:25:50 PM by Laurens » Logged
Milwaukeeman2003

View Posts
View Gallery

SRX

Re: SBMV lamp « Reply #9 on: July 08, 2024, 08:13:15 PM » Author: Milwaukeeman2003
I understand! But I am planning on getting a few 80W ones from Alibaba to light up my grandmothers back gate, but what do you mean by insect spotting? I’m confused.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2024, 08:44:25 PM by Milwaukeeman2003 » Logged

rlshieldjr

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: SBMV lamps « Reply #10 on: July 08, 2024, 11:59:33 PM » Author: rlshieldjr
I've seen SBMV reptile lamps. Wattage from 80 to 160. They are all R shape bulbs. Can check out pet stores to see what they have.
Milwaukeeman2003

View Posts
View Gallery

SRX

Re: SBMV lamps « Reply #11 on: July 09, 2024, 01:20:40 AM » Author: Milwaukeeman2003
I’ve seen those too! But they must put out a ton of UV radiation.

Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: SBMV lamp « Reply #12 on: July 09, 2024, 02:08:20 AM » Author: Laurens
I understand! But I am planning on getting a few 80W ones from Alibaba to light up my grandmothers back gate, but what do you mean by insect spotting? I’m confused.
Any mercury vapor lamp puts out a large amount of 365nm UVA light, and perhaps a trace amount of UVB (cannot measure that) - in combination with a lot of infrared from the fierce heat of the arc tube and the filament.
This works very well to attract flying insects.
IF you put a thin white fabric sheet around the lamp, the flying insects will bump onto the sheet and sit there for a while, so you can figure out which kinds of night-active insects are around in your area - like many different types of moths.

I’ve seen those too! But they must put out a ton of UV radiation.
Even coated MV lamps emit an amount much larger than fluorescent lamps. It's why i have made a glass enclosure with UV attenuating window foil on it, if i use the MV lamps within a couple of meters of myself.
Milwaukeeman2003

View Posts
View Gallery

SRX

Re: SBMV lamps « Reply #13 on: July 09, 2024, 03:27:56 AM » Author: Milwaukeeman2003
Oh ok! Thanks for the info!

Milwaukeeman2003

View Posts
View Gallery

SRX

Re: SBMV lamps « Reply #14 on: July 09, 2024, 03:29:09 AM » Author: Milwaukeeman2003
Cool! Thanks for the info!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies