Author Topic: Newest incandescent traffic signal installation  (Read 5353 times)
Milwaukeeman2003

View Posts
View Gallery

SRX

Fat Squidward Milwaukeeman2003
Newest incandescent traffic signal installation « on: June 19, 2024, 01:05:26 PM » Author: Milwaukeeman2003
Does anyone know any incandescent traffic signal installations that were installed within the last decade? Any information would be appreciated! Thanks!

Screw the 2028 120 lumen per watt mandate and DeviantArt! Love old cars, cassette tapes, radios, severe weather and most of all, lighting!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Newest incandescent traffic signal installation « Reply #1 on: June 28, 2024, 10:11:58 PM » Author: joseph_125
I wonder too. I thought most of the signal manufacturers discontinued incandescent signals around the mid 2010s but Oriux and McCain still mention incandescent being an option on their spec sheets.

The last incandescent signals I saw were installed in 2012-2013. By then the reds and greens used LED modules but the amber lights were incandescent. Some are still in service as incandescent.

As for the newest full RYG incandescent install, I think around 2004-2005 for my area.
Milwaukeeman2003

View Posts
View Gallery

SRX

Re: Newest incandescent traffic signal installation « Reply #2 on: June 28, 2024, 11:49:32 PM » Author: Milwaukeeman2003
A vast majority of signals in my area were LED by the late 2000’s. Today, there is only one city that is within 100 miles of my city that has a high number of incandescent installations, with only a few dotted around elsewhere.

I saw it and McCain’s website but never heard about Oriux.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2024, 11:53:34 PM by Milwaukeeman2003 » Logged

Screw the 2028 120 lumen per watt mandate and DeviantArt! Love old cars, cassette tapes, radios, severe weather and most of all, lighting!

Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Filament LEDs. Both a blessing and a curse.

Re: Newest incandescent traffic signal installation « Reply #3 on: June 30, 2024, 02:45:02 PM » Author: Maxim
The intersection by my old home held and still holds incandescent traffic signals. They are gradually replaced with LED as the lamps go out. In the late evenings, the signal is disconnected and it flashes yellow / red depending on the street, and from what I remember as a kid, they were 100% incandescent without a single one of those of crappy, flickering, early gen panels. This was back in 2016, and the signals were put up sometime around 2007-08.

Unrelated, but my old street was (unknowingly) lit by an OV-15! Back in 2013, they changed out the dayburning photocontroller, replaced the lamp, and replaced the refractor with a glass 4215. Still in service to this day. :)

The Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease, it's here. All ye, proceed with caution.

Milwaukeeman2003

View Posts
View Gallery

SRX

Re: Newest incandescent traffic signal installation « Reply #4 on: June 30, 2024, 07:54:24 PM » Author: Milwaukeeman2003
Cool! For my area, the WIDOT signals had those early modules and most of the signals owned by the city I lived in had ether incandescent lamps or later LED modules as they were doing the conversion at the time. Btw, is the OV-15 MV?

Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Filament LEDs. Both a blessing and a curse.

Re: Newest incandescent traffic signal installation « Reply #5 on: June 30, 2024, 09:35:49 PM » Author: Maxim
Yep...

The Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease, it's here. All ye, proceed with caution.

Milwaukeeman2003

View Posts
View Gallery

SRX

Re: Newest incandescent traffic signal installation « Reply #6 on: July 01, 2024, 02:38:09 AM » Author: Milwaukeeman2003
Cool!

jrmcferren

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Newest incandescent traffic signal installation « Reply #7 on: July 09, 2024, 07:57:40 PM » Author: jrmcferren
Ambers are usually the last ones retrofitted. There is also an intersection near my house that has four flashing red aspects in every direction, that was still at least somewhat incandescent when I passed through last time. I've also seen some warning signs where it looks like someone screwed in standard LED bulbs because the color is wrong. As late as a few months ago I know a private college that has a flashing warning light that still uses incandescent, of course they recently relamped a mercury fixture as well.
Milwaukeeman2003

View Posts
View Gallery

SRX

Re: Newest incandescent traffic signal installation « Reply #8 on: July 09, 2024, 09:25:32 PM » Author: Milwaukeeman2003
I figured that yellow lights get retrofitted last. But how would the warning signs be back lit?

Baked bagel 11

View Posts
View Gallery

Factory suspended Z8420

Sulo2fan
Re: Newest incandescent traffic signal installation « Reply #9 on: July 13, 2024, 01:53:11 AM » Author: Baked bagel 11
Basically no incandescent signals in Australia, none where I live in Canberra, and probably no quatz halogen signals left in Canberrs, very few in Australia.

An Aussie collector of the street lights of the world.

Milwaukeeman2003

View Posts
View Gallery

SRX

Re: Newest incandescent traffic signal installation « Reply #10 on: July 13, 2024, 02:09:30 AM » Author: Milwaukeeman2003
Oddly enough, there were never any halogen traffic signals here in North America.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Newest incandescent traffic signal installation « Reply #11 on: July 13, 2024, 09:17:28 AM » Author: joseph_125
I think the closest ones were those halogen fibre optic signals for arrows and walk signals.
Milwaukeeman2003

View Posts
View Gallery

SRX

Re: Newest incandescent traffic signal installation « Reply #12 on: July 13, 2024, 07:52:14 PM » Author: Milwaukeeman2003
I forgot about those.

boiler1011

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Newest incandescent traffic signal installation « Reply #13 on: July 16, 2024, 08:50:10 AM » Author: boiler1011
I think the closest ones were those halogen fibre optic signals for arrows and walk signals.

I always thought those turn arrows were cool but not sure how they were helpful to people suffering color blindness as the arrow didn't change positions on the signal going from green to yellow.
Baked bagel 11

View Posts
View Gallery

Factory suspended Z8420

Sulo2fan
Re: Newest incandescent traffic signal installation « Reply #14 on: July 27, 2024, 12:33:54 AM » Author: Baked bagel 11
Speaking of quatz halogen signals, I just bought an early 1990s quatz halogen Aldridge Electrical pedestrian signal ;D can't wait for it to arrive!

An Aussie collector of the street lights of the world.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies