Author Topic: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users.  (Read 5406 times)
VestasMan

View Posts
View Gallery

look maa, no thermal runaway!

nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « on: January 17, 2024, 11:47:28 PM » Author: VestasMan
hello. i just discovered a very interesting video on youtube about a nurse with an old cap and a very good reason why she's wearing it. (link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IDvjaYGKwA ) and it goes to show that new technology has flaws over some of the old school stuff. now i have also been to an office that still uses fluorescent troffers and CRT monitors. there reason was that the employees preferred the old equipment for it's reliability. is there anyone that has encountered similar situations?

i am a fan and light collector fro a hicktown in new zealand.  i don't mind let alone hate the people that call wifi routers "modems",LED drivers "ballasts" and LCD panels "picture tubes" because i kinda do this myself. i am a big fan of TOAST ASYLUM and more so now that i am into lighting! :a_2d: .

Rommie
Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #1 on: January 18, 2024, 05:21:12 AM » Author: Rommie
Could have done without seeing that [insert expletive of choice] face mask full screen  :'(

I always get a severe fright whenever I see one of those, most likely due to my autism, but I don't know for sure. All I do know is the last 4 years since the start of Covid have been awful for me, and every time I think I've seen the last of them, another one pops up  :'( :'( :'(

To answer the question, I do prefer old technology wherever possible. I don't use a smart phone or anything "IoT" or whatever they call it. While my car is recent enough (2014) to have some electronics in it, it doesn't track me everywhere I go. And I prefer landline phone calls to text messages or emails.
VestasMan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #2 on: January 18, 2024, 05:53:39 PM » Author: VestasMan
sorry about the face mask  :love:.
as for old technology, i like it. it's simple,easy to maintain, reliable,and just looks better.
i study under a fluorescent desk lamp,watch shows on a CRT TV,and play music on an old 4 speed record player. as for telephone, we don't have one  :(. i have seen nurses like that (without the face mask) at least a few times.

i am a fan and light collector fro a hicktown in new zealand.  i don't mind let alone hate the people that call wifi routers "modems",LED drivers "ballasts" and LCD panels "picture tubes" because i kinda do this myself. i am a big fan of TOAST ASYLUM and more so now that i am into lighting! :a_2d: .

VestasMan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #3 on: January 19, 2024, 05:49:20 AM » Author: VestasMan
sorry for flooding the thread with my own replies but i just found this about the broomfield hospital : https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/99675/Nurses-told-to-put-on-hats
what do you think the hospital should do and
cant wait when we get to fill questionnaires about  getting amber led lighting or even the return of the beloved SOX! :lol:  :lps:   
i also found 2 telephones! 8;) but nowhere to connect them. :wndr:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 05:51:52 AM by VestasMan » Logged

Lcubed3

View Posts
View Gallery

MAXIMUM LUMENS!!!

Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #4 on: January 19, 2024, 02:37:22 PM » Author: Lcubed3
I love those old things; I'm the kind of person to use a telephone (we don't have a physical landline, we use a VoIP device), CRT monitor / television, and all that jazz. My collections are as follows:

- CRT Televisions (stagnate)
 - Lighting (growing)
 - Computers made before 2010 (growing)
 - Discs (CDs, DVDs, BluRays, etc. - growing)
 - Computer peripherals/cables (growing slowly)
 - Telephones (growing)

Portland General Electric: 120/240VAC @ 60Hz
Bringer of Light

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID collector.

Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #5 on: January 19, 2024, 04:07:00 PM » Author: BT25
I used to keep up with technology, but that changed around 10 plus years ago. The only thing that changed since then was getting a smart phone.
I despise anything IoT...it started with that, and from seeing money disappear from me to the tech industry...enough. What I own currently works just fine...dont need the latest BS.

Better to be silent and thought a fool than to opens one mouth and remove all doubt.

Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #6 on: January 19, 2024, 04:27:45 PM » Author: Laurens
I like things that i own, that can't be taken away by the seller, that don't record me while i'm not asking it to record me, and that are not intentionally made hard to repair. Often, that ends up being old stuff.

As for old digital stuff - Things were going well until about 2014, after that, digital stuff got worse and worse. I was talking about a calculation while my work computer was running. Google Chrome apparently picked it up because when i typed in the first number of the calculation i was talking about into the search bar, it autofilled the entire calculation. That's just creepy. That's eavesdropping on par with East Germany.

Old youtube also was better. I didn't install an adblocker until ads became unskippable. The decline of the quality and safety of the internet is sad. The loss of forums has ruined the possibility to find and especially retain important help from people struggling with similar problems with stuff.
I know facebook groups and discords exist, but those are not searchable at all unless you're already in them, and even if you're in them, it's not easy to actually find old information from years ago. I do like discord a lot, but only as a semi-private chat box.

Imho digital technology and the internet were at their peak somewhere between 2012 and 2015. Windows 7 was rock solid and highly reliable without too much privacy invasion. Phones did all they do today. If it weren't for security updates, i'd still be running windows 7...

As for nurse's caps - that's all up to the individual imho. I think they may help a lot in calming down elderly people who grew up with them, but for the newer generations they don't represent anything and are highly likely to be interpreted as a stifling environment that forces old habits on new people who live in a completely different world.
Rommie
Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #7 on: January 19, 2024, 05:56:34 PM » Author: Rommie
Wouldn't touch Chrome or anything else Goggle with a long pole. Firefox is the browser of choice here, loaded to the brim with adblockers and other anti-tracking stuff.
VestasMan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #8 on: January 19, 2024, 08:58:38 PM » Author: VestasMan
so i'm not the only that gets the creepy search bar stuff. i was talking about TOAST ASYLUM to somebody in the same room as my computer, i then when to look it up and as soon as i hit "T", it coincidentally suggested TOAST ASYLUM. i've had this happen many times before, including just recently when i searched up the meaning of the word "questionnaire" witch i immediately searched after discovering the Broomfield hospital article. my computer is ether possessed or is just plain spying on me! while i'm writing this, an old ford pickup truck with a spot replaced black disc LED sealed beam replacement headlight just went passed, cool! ( except for ugly asymmetrical flat disc with leds on it lol  :sick:)
what do you think of the whole floppy disc means save thing?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 09:05:23 PM by VestasMan » Logged

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID collector.

Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #9 on: January 19, 2024, 09:51:43 PM » Author: BT25
Newer computers and smartphones have the ability to eavesdrop. The way to stop it is to shut off voice recognition. It makes more work for searches, but well worth it.
I use Firefox with a Duckduckgo extension...seems to work fine so far.

Better to be silent and thought a fool than to opens one mouth and remove all doubt.

Rommie
Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #10 on: January 20, 2024, 08:48:40 AM » Author: Rommie
Same here. I also have Ghostery, AdBlocker Ultimate and one or two other bits and pieces. Using Linux as an OS helps as well. No camera or microphones on desktop machines and tape over the camera on laptops. Not figured out a way to deactivate the microphone on those yet, although I think there's a BIOS option.
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #11 on: January 24, 2024, 12:15:32 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
I still have a land-line phone.
And still use older computers.
Plus prefer fluorescent & incandescent lighting over LED (with the exception being Christmas lights - I much prefer LED there for most of my decorating)
And certainly CD/DVD/Blu-Ray over any streaming crap (streaming is only ok if its FREE. Same goes for downloads)
I do have a smartphone, but mostly only use it for calls & texting (plus sometimes checking weather with one good and 'clean' app)
I have a few CRT computer monitors that still work ... those I would gladly give away free if someone wanted them .lol.

----
Chrome is malware (in the form of spyware), Edge is just Chrome under another name (with some added Microsoft modifications) .. I wouldn't touch either one of them.
A few of you have mentioned  FireFox .. um, yeah don't believe one bit of that crap on their website about it respecting your privacy! It too is malware(spyware)...and no, adding an adblock/noscript/etc doesn't stop the spying since its built into the browser, nor does going into the settings & turning it off, or even the 'hidden' "advanced settings" (ie: about:config) where you can turn off more... nope, it still will send spy data back to mozilla!
My browser of choice for most things is either PaleMoon or WaterFox.. there's a couple sites I use that won't work in either, so for those I have to use FireFox, as for the built-in spyware...

I have something called Pi-Hole that blocks it (and the spyware in windows itself.. plus a bunch of other sites because it does better blocking than adblock alone)
I eventually want to get a real firewall for even more blocking - especially when I have to eventually get Win 10 or higher ... since that is a extremely vile & dirty piece of malware, it even weasels around stuff like a Pi-Hole.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #12 on: January 24, 2024, 12:23:54 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: Rommie
Not figured out a way to deactivate the microphone on those yet
If it can't be disabled, there should be a setting to turn its input/listening volume all the way down...
And/or put a piece of tape over it (with that, yes it can still "hear" you, but the sound it hears will be muffled LOL so probably won't be able to recognize anything)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Rommie
Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #13 on: January 24, 2024, 08:23:35 AM » Author: Rommie
It's a BIOS option, done now  8)
HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #14 on: January 25, 2024, 10:37:57 AM » Author: HIDLad001
My ThinkPad has a hardware wireless (Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, cellular) disable switch that makes the BIOS completely turn off all wireless communications.
The webcam active light is also a BIOS thing, and cannot be turned off.

I use modified Windows 10 (Atlas OS) with all of the tracking and bloatware removed. I used to use Linux, but the drivers for my wireless card just wouldn’t work well, so I stopped using it.

As far as browsers go, I use Firefox with Ublock Origin.

Officially returned to Lighting-Gallery!!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies