Author Topic: GE is going the way of Westinghouse  (Read 923 times)
HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
GE is going the way of Westinghouse « on: October 24, 2023, 03:52:08 PM » Author: HIDLad001
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I have read here, and here that the original GE is going to be nothing more than a name by next year. They have already spun off their healthcare division, and in 2024, they will spin off their energy division into GE Vernova, an entirely separate company. Then what's left of GE will just be spun off into GE Aerospace.

Does this sound familiar? It's also what happened to Westinghouse in the 1990s.

RIP Edison General Electric company.
1892-2024.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 03:55:23 PM by HIDLad001 » Logged

Officially returned to Lighting-Gallery!!

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID collector.

Re: GE is going the way of Westinghouse « Reply #1 on: November 01, 2023, 05:31:09 PM » Author: BT25
Yep, its unfortunate...GE started to have issues once CEO Jack Welch left.

Westinghouse began selling off its divisions in the early 1970's...first one to go was appliances, and it only accelerated after that. Then there's the financeial/credit division scandal...that almost destroyed them for good. Somehow they survived, got into media and renamed themselves CBS Corporation.

Better to be silent and thought a fool than to opens one mouth and remove all doubt.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: GE is going the way of Westinghouse « Reply #2 on: November 01, 2023, 09:28:00 PM » Author: Cole D.
GE had already started doing so in the mid 80s, selling its small appliance division to Black and Decker for one.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Re: GE is going the way of Westinghouse « Reply #3 on: November 02, 2023, 11:22:20 AM » Author: HIDLad001
Then in 2020 they sold off their lighting division that they had since the very beginning to some no-name startup company.

GE had already started doing so in the mid 80s, selling its small appliance division to Black and Decker for one.

I believe GE Appliances is owned by Haier now.

Officially returned to Lighting-Gallery!!

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: GE is going the way of Westinghouse « Reply #4 on: November 02, 2023, 04:03:14 PM » Author: Econolite03
GE simply made poor decisions for years, especially in the last decade. Their consumer lighting division was not competitive enough and lacked true innovation when LEDs became the hot new thing. Cree / Philips blew them right out at the gate. As a result people weren’t really buying their products. I remember GE being overpriced compared to the competition.

The commercial lighting division, like the consumer, I felt had similar problems. Again, they just weren’t competitive enough. They lost significant market-share to Cree, Philips, Leotek, etc. As a desperate attempt to stay relevant, they tried going into Internet of Things (IoT) platforms. They sold that smart lighting system to the City of San Diego which ended up being a huge joke that cost the city millions and pretty much failed to deliver what was pitched to them.

GE had it coming, it was just a matter of time.

Find Lighting + More | Visit my Gallery

Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: GE is going the way of Westinghouse « Reply #5 on: November 05, 2023, 02:52:07 PM » Author: Richmond2000
Phillips is another company that "split up to unlock shareholder value" and the parts are mostly successful companies but the NAME is tarnished and mostly "worthless" compared to the "empire" they used to be
will also add any MAJOR tech change OFTEN wipes out the OLD companies
think flat televisions killing "tube" tele's as the OLD names are starting from BEHIND the NEW start brands that started with flat panel designs and the OLD brands stuck to what they do VERY WELL and built tubes till the MARKET forced there hand
we are seeing this in Lighting right now and in 5 years in CARS with the Electric "epoch"
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: GE is going the way of Westinghouse « Reply #6 on: November 05, 2023, 07:55:33 PM » Author: Cole D.
Yes GE large appliances is part of Haier now, although they do still use the Appliance Park plant in KY.

GE has recently started selling small appliances again, I don’t know who makes them though.

Their night light and wiring devices are part of a company called “By Jasco” that brands under a few different names.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

eyecandescent

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GE is going the way of Westinghouse « Reply #7 on: November 05, 2023, 10:21:47 PM » Author: eyecandescent
Most of the Jasco manufactured stuff, is absolute rubbish.

The Haier-manufactured appliances are 50/50, in terms of getting a lemon, or a quality product. It's a sad look for the once mighty brand.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies