Author Topic: Electronic Ballast for 2x 13W GX23 lamps  (Read 2472 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Electronic Ballast for 2x 13W GX23 lamps « Reply #15 on: September 15, 2023, 09:36:43 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Here is an updated wiring diagram that looks better:

120V----------------------------switch----------------ballast 1-----------------------------------------lamp 1-------|
                                                          |                                                                                             |         
                                                          |                                                                                             |
                                                          |----------ballast 2-----------------------------------------lamp 2-------| 
                                                                                                                                                        |
                                                                                                                                                        |
N-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|         

« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 09:43:18 PM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Electronic Ballast for 2x 13W GX23 lamps « Reply #16 on: September 15, 2023, 09:43:52 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Let me know if the above diagram works well for you. It looks best when viewed on a desktop computer.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Stop replacing fixtures that can be retrofitted.

Re: Electronic Ballast for 2x 13W GX23 lamps « Reply #17 on: September 15, 2023, 09:45:18 PM » Author: Maxim
Alright. So, like this, would you say? Thanks sm.

Collector of all kinds of lamps, gear, and fixtures.
My favorite lighting technologies at the moment are incandescent and mercury vapor, and my favorite Big 3 lighting brand of the late 20th century is GTE Sylvania.

About that Westinghouse Lifeguard disease, I think I've caught it. Thanks Eric! 8)

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Electronic Ballast for 2x 13W GX23 lamps « Reply #18 on: September 15, 2023, 09:47:35 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Looks good. Do you have a standard PL13 lamp to test this setup with? If you do have a lamp, let me know what results you get. On top of that, do you have any preheat PL13 CFL fixtures in your collection?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 10:01:05 PM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Electronic Ballast for 2x 13W GX23 lamps « Reply #19 on: September 15, 2023, 10:06:56 PM » Author: Maxim
It works!! Thanks so much!!!!

My favorite lighting technologies at the moment are incandescent and mercury vapor, and my favorite Big 3 lighting brand of the late 20th century is GTE Sylvania.

About that Westinghouse Lifeguard disease, I think I've caught it. Thanks Eric! 8)

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Electronic Ballast for 2x 13W GX23 lamps « Reply #20 on: September 15, 2023, 10:07:50 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
You are welcome. Let me know when you get the second ballast.

Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Electronic Ballast for 2x 13W GX23 lamps « Reply #21 on: September 15, 2023, 10:15:59 PM » Author: Maxim
Yep, will do. Also, why can I not wire the two lamp holders in series? Just wondering.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Electronic Ballast for 2x 13W GX23 lamps « Reply #22 on: September 15, 2023, 10:21:58 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
This is because with a single choke ballast on 120V mains, the OCV is not high enough to fire up the two starters when the lamps are wired in series and the OCV of all series choke ballasts is the same as the mains.

Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Electronic Ballast for 2x 13W GX23 lamps « Reply #23 on: September 15, 2023, 10:47:07 PM » Author: Maxim
Cool, thanks! :a_pl:

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Electronic Ballast for 2x 13W GX23 lamps « Reply #24 on: September 15, 2023, 10:50:19 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Did you see the link for the other ballast I sent you?

Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Electronic Ballast for 2x 13W GX23 lamps « Reply #25 on: September 16, 2023, 12:01:27 AM » Author: Maxim
Yep, though it's a bit on the pricey side... I may just wait, or leave it as a single-lamp fixture...

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Electronic Ballast for 2x 13W GX23 lamps « Reply #26 on: September 16, 2023, 12:19:43 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I decided to post that particular link if you really did want a pair of identical and matching ballasts.

Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Electronic Ballast for 2x 13W GX23 lamps « Reply #27 on: September 16, 2023, 12:28:42 AM » Author: Maxim
Thank you. It's of a very high quality, nice and quiet, as well as compact. I might just invest in a second one...

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Electronic Ballast for 2x 13W GX23 lamps « Reply #28 on: September 16, 2023, 12:31:22 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I did recommend them because in my experience, I have used these particular ballasts with PL13 CFL lamps and they do drive them close to full power and close to their rated operating current whereas other ballasts designed for these lamps either underdrive or overdrive PL13 CFL lamps.

Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Electronic Ballast for 2x 13W GX23 lamps « Reply #29 on: September 16, 2023, 12:33:56 AM » Author: Maxim
I noticed that too! These lamps are much brighter here than they are on the electronically-ballasted fixture downstairs!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies