Author Topic: Broke a vintage lamp...  (Read 914 times)
Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Filament LEDs. Both a blessing and a curse.

Broke a vintage lamp... « on: August 30, 2023, 01:49:10 PM » Author: Maxim
Broke my 1994 vintage Abco Smart Four-Level 100W lamp. Was unscrewing from a socket when the base came loose. Couldn't do anything about it, so I tried moving the lamp with the socket. Burst the tube that seals the gases inside. Really angry with myself. Any advice? I chucked the cracked, bent base (kept the tiny Beacon "computer" for memory) and so far still have the glass. What the ship to do? ??? :( :-\

The Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease, it's here. All ye, proceed with caution.

rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Broke a vintage lamp... « Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 03:16:22 PM » Author: rjluna2
Oh dear :(

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Broke a vintage lamp... « Reply #2 on: August 30, 2023, 03:36:33 PM » Author: RRK
Sorry to say, but once you broke the tubulation, the lamp is pretty much FUBAR, as they say in the army... You can easily attach the base back by a drop of epoxy, but strictly a display specimen from now :(
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 03:38:46 PM by RRK » Logged
RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Broke a vintage lamp... « Reply #3 on: August 30, 2023, 04:05:42 PM » Author: RRK
I would try to save that dimmer gizmo from the base and attempt to re-use it with another 100W glass...
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Broke a vintage lamp... « Reply #4 on: August 30, 2023, 06:30:07 PM » Author: joseph_125
Maybe you can refit the dimmer PCB from it into either another lamp, or as a remotely mounted inline device.

I've repaired lamps before with loose bases and short lead wires but once the glass breaks, you can't really do much about it.
Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Filament LEDs. Both a blessing and a curse.

Re: Broke a vintage lamp... « Reply #5 on: August 30, 2023, 07:09:45 PM » Author: Maxim
"Maybe you can refit the dimmer PCB from it into either another lamp, or as a remotely mounted inline device."

Hmm, how would I go about doing so? I have plenty of 100W incandescent lamps in my possession...

The Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease, it's here. All ye, proceed with caution.

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Broke a vintage lamp... « Reply #6 on: August 31, 2023, 12:38:31 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
ABCOs were cheapies back then so not a surprise.  toss it and be glad its gone. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Broke a vintage lamp... « Reply #7 on: August 31, 2023, 12:57:24 AM » Author: RRK
"Maybe you can refit the dimmer PCB from it into either another lamp, or as a remotely mounted inline device."

Hmm, how would I go about doing so? I have plenty of 100W incandescent lamps in my possession...

You need to carefully disassemble the base and remove/desolder the electronic board or integrated circuit that did the dimmer function. Carefully cutting the metal with a dremel disc helps sometimes. Note how the connections were made. By the way,teardown pictures are very welcome!
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies