Author Topic: Why must the lighting industry be like this?  (Read 4813 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Why must the lighting industry be like this? « Reply #45 on: August 06, 2023, 07:08:09 AM » Author: dor123
Its looks to me that Israel is the world's leading in producing e-Waste from LED lighting, as most people here, preferring integrated LED fixtures over traditional fixtures with replaceable LED lamps.
And @James: I didn't know about what you said, that initially there were the HPLED Like of Lumileds, Nichia and Cree, which could last forever even if driven at high currents, and than Seoul invented the MPLED which was much cheaper but don't lasts when driven at the currents of the HPLEDs.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 08:32:02 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Rommie
Re: Why must the lighting industry be like this? « Reply #46 on: August 06, 2023, 09:32:01 AM » Author: Rommie
Sorry James, I  know I sound like a broken record on this, but I just don't want them. I did find the technology interesting at the start, and we did use a few around the place, but then things changed and they were forced on me to the extent that I finally snapped and rebelled, getting rid of all the ones we had. Sorry, but this "You WILL use LED whether you want to or not" mentality is something I just cannot and will not accept. Fortunately we have sufficient stock of traditional lamps to see us through until we shuffle off.

Just going off on a slight tangent, I wonder how many people were able to find jobs again when Hamilton closed..? How many people in the lighting industry as a whole lost out due to the onslaught of LED..?
BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why must the lighting industry be like this? « Reply #47 on: August 07, 2023, 10:35:15 AM » Author: BT25
My lighting career died due to LED... :sick: :eoled:

Vintage HID collector.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Why must the lighting industry be like this? « Reply #48 on: August 11, 2023, 06:43:53 AM » Author: AngryHorse
That sounds awful?, how do you mean though?, from a collection perspective or career one?
With street lighting and LED, I am surprised now, after what James points out, why street lighting didn’t immediately go to the age old ‘lamp and lantern’ set up?  :wndr:

Not so much for the existing SOX lanterns, (although it would have been cool to utilise the same lanterns with LED tech), but more for the hundreds of ‘new’ HPS lanterns that only lasted a couple of years on our streets before being completely removed!

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 55,394 hrs @ 1/6/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

kai

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why must the lighting industry be like this? « Reply #49 on: August 12, 2023, 07:47:58 PM » Author: kai
Cutting corners on quality is nothing new.
A bit older example are the older AC/DC radios, the topology design originates from 1930's but were made till 1970's.
TLDR: To save few cents on manufacture it costs user more than a dollar extra (abou 1940's one, not today's) to fix or to replace the radio once simple dial lamp burns out.

The whole story:
... which I strongly suspect to be rather much distorted. If the matter is of interest although being off topic:

These AC/DC radios had no transformers whatsoever, simply because they do not work on DC. Thus the mains power was through a rectifier (also on DC mains needed to eliminate hum) directly fed to the plates while the heaters of the tubes were connected in series, with the dial lamps acting as resistors, plus additional resistors for the still necessary amount of further voltage drop. The method was calculated for currents of either 100 mA ("U" tubes) or 300 mA ("P" tubes).

So these radios needed the dial lamps to work, and popular literature strongly advised that the correct type must be used, else you risk to probably even find that "it works better than before" until suddenly it falls quite again because the heater of a tube was killed by this carelessness. The lamps themselves were prone to early failure due to the inrush at switch-on, making such fatal mistakes pretty likely. And the story presumably refers to a certain kind of mechanism that was meant to prevent this.

The AC-only design avoided all this hassle. Such radios had a transformer, providing both a slightly stepped up plate current (about 300 V) for best performance of the tubes and 6.3 V for the heaters ("E" type tubes) plus dial lamps, all run in parallel, so no inrush for the lamps which at the same time could fail without affecting the electronics in any way.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Why must the lighting industry be like this? « Reply #50 on: August 26, 2023, 07:46:42 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
One of my biggest fears as a younger 23 year old collector is not being able to have enough money or storage space to be able to establish a lifetime supply of traditional light sources and that as my stock of traditional lamps runs low, I will eventually have an extremely difficult time being able to find a large supply of traditional lamps anywhere in the world since they are likely to become extremely RARE and EXPENSIVE by the time I have a fully established career in the next several years and have a decent income and that would still force me to use LED lighting, use dim fire-based light sources, or remain in the dark whether I like it or not as I have many years still left to live since many new old stock lamps, ballasts and fixtures would likely get DESTROYED to the point of going from COMMON to RARE in a very short amount of time due to the extremely low demand and due to the fact that the lamps are not allowed to be SOLD anymore due to legislation by many governments around the world.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2023, 07:56:16 AM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why must the lighting industry be like this? « Reply #51 on: August 26, 2023, 08:03:48 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Sometimes, our fears of once common lamps becoming rare and expensive has driven some of us like myself into financial debt and led some of us to live in cluttered houses because of our storage spaces overflowing with lamps, ballasts, and fixtures.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Mandolin Girl
Re: Why must the lighting industry be like this? « Reply #52 on: August 26, 2023, 08:50:12 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
The current legislation where there are lighting bans refers to placing new lamps on the market, ones that are already on the market can continue to be sold.  :bulbman:
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why must the lighting industry be like this? « Reply #53 on: August 26, 2023, 08:51:10 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
One of the things I mainly worry about is new old stock lamps getting destroyed due to low demand.

Mandolin Girl
Re: Why must the lighting industry be like this? « Reply #54 on: August 26, 2023, 10:05:44 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Yes, some will be, that's inevitable.  :'(
But there are lamps available today for us, as collectors to buy that haven't been retailed for more than fifty years.  8)
Better yet, some sellers don't know what gems they've got so you can get some real bargains.  :bulbman: :wndr:
Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Stop replacing fixtures that can be retrofitted.

Re: Why must the lighting industry be like this? « Reply #55 on: August 26, 2023, 01:06:34 PM » Author: Maxim
I have two parents that completely do not understand when I say I want to go to Lowes to get some F20s to F40s because they wont be there forever-

It's the exact same for me. I'm 16, though I don't currently have my driver's license. Any time we visit the hardware store and I ask to purchase a few lamps that will soon be obsolete, I get a deer in headlights look. My mom understands a little more; she was always the one changing light bulbs and such when I was a small child; but my dad, he really couldn't care less. If I weren't here to maintain our installs (my mom has health complications), we'd probably be living in total darkness.

I really need to get to Lowes or Home Depot and pick up a few cases of F96T12s before they're gone off of store shelves... :-\ :(

Collector of all kinds of lamps, gear, and fixtures.
My favorite lighting technologies at the moment are incandescent and mercury vapor, and my favorite Big 3 lighting brand of the late 20th century is GTE Sylvania.

About that Westinghouse Lifeguard disease, I think I've caught it. Thanks Eric! 8)

Mandolin Girl
Re: Why must the lighting industry be like this? « Reply #56 on: August 26, 2023, 02:29:34 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
You have to remember that shops are there to make money for the owners, and they're only going to stock what's going to sell, whether there are lighting bans or not.  :wndr:
There could well be a darkened corner of the stock room that has old lamps in it, and one day they might get found and hopefully sold.  :bulbman:
So there's always a chance for us collectors.  8)
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why must the lighting industry be like this? « Reply #57 on: August 26, 2023, 08:29:45 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
Just my thoughts-  As someone who was obsessed with fluorescent and incandescent lighting starting at about 10-11 years old, I wanted to collect and learn about how they worked.  I did for awhile, but as life moved on, things became more important for me.  The same will most likely happen for you.  I realized that much in my collection was really not all that important or special.  I enjoyed running the lamps I collected to EoL and then throwing them away.  Light collections is really not of all that interest to the majority of people out there and that is why trying to hold onto "special" lighting collections will not pay off in the long run.  50 - 100 years from now, people (if we survive) will not be interested in this stuff for the most part.  There will be much more interesting things out there and our collections will not be worth anything.  So don't go overboard with collecting.  I have a few items I will hang onto, but I don't have shelves full of stuff. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Stop replacing fixtures that can be retrofitted.

Re: Why must the lighting industry be like this? « Reply #58 on: August 26, 2023, 10:28:21 PM » Author: Maxim
Well stated, Ryan. To be perfectly honest, I don't "collect" much that won't be used. 95% of the things that I purchss wind up being used in some way or another; and as you said, it's thrown out upon hitting EOL, unless it holds some sentimental value in my heart. I try not to collect for the sake of it, especially lamps. Fixture I understand; you'd want to use an OV-25 daily, but lamps that aren't needed for that fixture? Nah.

Just my .02 also. I think it helps with storage space!!

Collector of all kinds of lamps, gear, and fixtures.
My favorite lighting technologies at the moment are incandescent and mercury vapor, and my favorite Big 3 lighting brand of the late 20th century is GTE Sylvania.

About that Westinghouse Lifeguard disease, I think I've caught it. Thanks Eric! 8)

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Why must the lighting industry be like this? « Reply #59 on: August 27, 2023, 03:06:46 AM » Author: AngryHorse
I do feel bad for lighting collectors today, as sadly the younger members on here missed the heyday of lighting!
I was fortunate to have grown up in the 70s and 80s when everything was common place.

As Ryan says, it was the fluorescent batten we had in our kitchen at home back in the late 70s, (something I’m so glad I saved before my parents sold the house, and still have today), that sparked my interest in lighting.
I was also fortunate to have our town lit with SOX and linear sodium lamps as well as the remaining mercury that I just remember lighting the streets.

The sad thing is today, all what has been said above with stocks and sales must put a big obstacle in the way of today’s collectors?
When I started working in the early 90s, and earning my own money, every lighting tech was still wildly available off the shelves so collectors had no problems in getting anything!
But as Ryan says, as you get older you will move onto other things and lighting will become a distant memory.

My interest in lighting is just a glowing ember now to the raging fire that it was in the 90s, but even with a fair collection of LED lamps at my disposal, I still run the traditional CFLs for all my lighting at home!  8)

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 55,394 hrs @ 1/6/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies