Author Topic: Best LED Bulb Type and Brand  (Read 808 times)
flyoffacliff

View Posts
View Gallery

Best LED Bulb Type and Brand « on: September 07, 2022, 08:35:44 PM » Author: flyoffacliff
I'm trying to decide which LED bulbs to use for a whole house retrofit project. Here, Lowes sells GE, and Home Depot sell EcoSmart.

I find that at most Lowe's stores the inventory is random and sporadic. The GE bulbs are not available in a neutral color temperature of around 3500k. I don't like to use 6500k in a house, but I like a slightly cooler temperature than 2700k for kitchen food prep areas, closets, unfinished basements, etc. From what I've seen the EcoSmart bulbs seem to be a bit less reliable than the GE. The electronics in the base overheat, then the lights flicker for a while and go out.

Have there been any studies unreliability of different brands? Trying to decide where to get them from. Like I know one city that installed LED streetlights and most of them were bad within a couple years or so, and another city used a different brand and has had very few failures after many years.

I feel like LED filament lamps are the future for retrofit lamps, with traditional frosted glass, instead of the type with electronics in the base and a plastic lens.
Thoughts?
LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: Best LED Bulb Type and Brand « Reply #1 on: September 07, 2022, 10:05:09 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
Go with Philips or EcoSmart (filament only if you said the "snowcone" type aren't reliable). Both have held up well for me in the past five years  or so. Feit filament bulbs are absolutely terrible. Their "snowcones," on the other hand, are decent.

Yeah, I wish neutral color temperatures, like 3,500K, were available in stores. I guess 3,000K is okay since that's what's available. Th

I like to use 5,000K for outdoors, garages, laundry rooms, etc. For kitchens, bathrooms, and closets, I would choose 3,000K or 4,000K. Everything else should be 2,700K

I find the "snowcone" bulbs to be okay for table lamps, bathroom sconces, and two-lamp ceiling lights. Everything else should be the filament type.

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

**If anyone wants to learn more about any company or product you've never heard of before, do please leave a comment saying so on one of my gallery pictures or by PM, and I'd be happy to give a thorough explanation.**

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Best LED Bulb Type and Brand « Reply #2 on: September 08, 2022, 12:56:35 AM » Author: Econolite03
The Philips "basic bulbs" (rated at 10 years), Warm Glow series, and even the Slim Styles are pretty good. I used them throughout my house during the 2016 LED conversion I did. I had a couple "basic bulbs" go EOL after six years, but they were used way more than 3 hours a day everyday, but that's not too bad of a lifespan for their application. Philips products are sold at Kroger owned grocers and Amazon at reasonable prices depending on what you're getting.

Find Lighting + More | Visit my Gallery

Cavannus

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Best LED Bulb Type and Brand « Reply #3 on: September 08, 2022, 02:02:04 AM » Author: Cavannus
I bought several 90+ Lighting bulbs, for fixtures in which the bulb is not visible: 2700K tint, fair price, no visible flickering, very good CRI. It's been the best bulb at a good price I found so far.

These bulbs have the "traditional" led design with a frosted dome and the electronics in the base, but I'm OK with that.
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Best LED Bulb Type and Brand « Reply #4 on: September 08, 2022, 05:42:16 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
I've been installing some LEDVance/Sylvania & a few GE 3500K and 4000K.  They've done well thus far.  The Sylvania are direct drive so I remove the ballasts. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Re: Best LED Bulb Type and Brand « Reply #5 on: September 08, 2022, 08:42:28 AM » Author: HIDLad001
I would have to say the simpler bulbs that use a linear regulator or a capacitive dropper. There are more components to fail if you have a bulb with a switching mode power supply, And the bulbs with a switching mode power supply are generally more expensive. The Feit Electric floodlights in our recessed can fixtures in the kitchen use an SMPS, and have been failing a lot because we use them the most. A lot of the time we use them they are dimmed down to about 50%. The TCP made BR floodlights we use in other areas of the house have been more reliable than the Feit Electric ones. I don't know what method the cheaper TCP bulbs use for driving the LEDs, because they are dimmable.

Or it could just be a simple matter of the Feit bulbs being lower quality.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 08:46:28 AM by HIDLad001 » Logged

Officially returned to Lighting-Gallery!!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies