Author Topic: Favourite & Least Favourite Part of Being a Lighting Enthusiast  (Read 1311 times)
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Favourite & Least Favourite Part of Being a Lighting Enthusiast « on: September 04, 2022, 03:37:43 AM » Author: 108CAM
What's your favourite part about being a lighting enthusiast?
My favourite part is the feeling you get when you find that elusive lamp or fixture that you've spent years searching for.
My least favourite part is opening a fixture and finding it infested with insects and then having to spend 3 hours making sure you've gotten them all out.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 18
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 15
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Favourite & Least Favourite Part of Being a Lighting Enthusiast « Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 03:53:39 AM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
Favourite part: Finding something new, be it an interesting lamp or fixture, for the collection or in the wild.

Least favourite part: Seeing older lights replaced or just removed. Even worse if they get replaced with generic garbage, or get hacked up.
Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Favourite & Least Favourite Part of Being a Lighting Enthusiast « Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022, 04:29:44 AM » Author: Econolite03
I second that.
 8)

Find Lighting + More | Visit my Gallery

AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Favourite & Least Favourite Part of Being a Lighting Enthusiast « Reply #3 on: September 04, 2022, 06:56:07 AM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
Favourite 1: Knowing each fixture has a story to tell, and knowing what that story is :wndr:
Favourite 2: Seeing old, worn (sometimes beaten up) fixtures still working perfectly.

Least favourite 1: Noticing the absolute abomination retrofits people think they can get away with.
Least favourite 2: Space management, especially with large fixtures.
Mandolin Girl
Re: Favourite & Least Favourite Part of Being a Lighting Enthusiast « Reply #4 on: September 04, 2022, 03:28:41 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Our favourite part is getting that box containing a new lamp and unwrapping it carefully to gaze upon it.  :love: :bulbman:

The least favourite part is looking at the dwindling bank balance...  :curse:
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Favourite & Least Favourite Part of Being a Lighting Enthusiast « Reply #5 on: September 04, 2022, 03:42:48 PM » Author: joseph_125
My favourite is finding something rare or vintage still in use in the wild. Or finding that lamp/luminaire you always wanted for your collection.

My least favourite are when rare lights get removed or hacked up, the high costs of everything (ehem SOX), and finding the room to store the bulkier stuff.
Rommie
Re: Favourite & Least Favourite Part of Being a Lighting Enthusiast « Reply #6 on: September 04, 2022, 03:46:56 PM » Author: Rommie
@ Sammi - Tell me about it; if you hadn't noticed, it's usually my dwindling bank balance  :mrg:

@ Joseph - When I see on eBay that somebody has "upcycled" something old and rare by putting [insert expletive of choice] LED's in it  :curse:
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Favourite & Least Favourite Part of Being a Lighting Enthusiast « Reply #7 on: September 04, 2022, 11:48:13 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 Favorite :  Finding an extremely rare lamp or fixture !!  :love:

Least favorite :  Having said lamp or fixture arrive as CONFETTI !!  :curse:

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Cavannus

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Favourite & Least Favourite Part of Being a Lighting Enthusiast « Reply #8 on: September 05, 2022, 04:13:59 AM » Author: Cavannus
Favourite: I feel very lucky to have started my interest in the early 1990s, so I remember when the blue led was a novelty, then when the little 5mm Nichia was a revolution for cavers and hikers. I saw the evolution of led lighting and how the general public changed their use of light. I knew some rural and urban street lit by mercury or fluorescent tubes, and some incandescent lamp posts in Paris around Le Louvre.

Least favourite : I'm not a technical guy and don't feel connected with the people in forums. I'm interested in people behaviours around lighting, ambiances, or sociologic aspects, this kind of things.
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Favourite & Least Favourite Part of Being a Lighting Enthusiast « Reply #9 on: September 05, 2022, 03:46:30 PM » Author: AngryHorse
FAVOURITE: As above, being old enough to have witnessed mercury, low and high pressure sodium in street lighting as newer lighting enthusiasts today sadly haven’t had that pleasure!
Having all HID lamps and gear still wildly available when I started working and able to buy it all off the shelf!, again most people will never have that option now  :(
Being able to see and teach myself first hand with said lighting back in the day and the army of lighting catalogues that greatly helped this too!
Having fresh technologies in LED, both SMT and filament lamps now too keep the interest in lighting going today!

LEAST FAVOURITE: Collecting so much stuff that you can’t leave anything lighting alone without constantly feeling the need to mess with it all the time!  :lol: :lol:

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 56,654 hrs @ 14/9/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Re: Favourite & Least Favourite Part of Being a Lighting Enthusiast « Reply #10 on: September 05, 2022, 03:59:34 PM » Author: Rommie
Favourite - Managing to acquire an example of most varieties of LPS lamps  :lps:

Least favourite - The obsession with LED's and the removal of choice in what we can buy/use  >:(
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Favourite & Least Favourite Part of Being a Lighting Enthusiast « Reply #11 on: September 05, 2022, 06:17:46 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
My favorite part in being a lighting enthusiast is when I acquire working rare lamps, ballasts, and fixtures in my collection while my least favorite part of being a lighting enthusiast is when I see traditional lamps, ballasts, and fixtures getting discontinued and/or banned by governments in favor of LED. For example, the upcoming 2023 ban of linear fluorescent and CFL lighting in the European Union in less than one year from now makes me feel like I have no time to get a complete set of a category of European market fluorescent lamps.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies