Author Topic: LED Streetlighting Conversion Question  (Read 906 times)
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

LED Streetlighting Conversion Question « on: September 03, 2022, 08:13:01 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Now that LED has taken over the roadways with a choke hold  I was wondering . Since LEDs draw significantly less amperage that the previous HID fixtures did are utilities/municipalities changing the circuit protection ratings accordingly after the conversions ?? I'd assume with a complete new system install the needed changes are made by the lighting designer/engineer ?

Honestly , the same question would have applied in the past when going from Incandescent or MV to HPS .

Any thoughts ?

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED Streetlighting Conversion Question « Reply #1 on: September 03, 2022, 11:58:07 PM » Author: Medved
If only fixtures are being replaced, there is no need to change the protrction.
The reason is, the protrction only task is to protect the wiring. And as the wires remained, so their assumed robustness (assume tgere is no degradation affecting that, like a corrosion or so), and assume the design was correct the first time, the original protection rating should provide the same level of protection as it was designed for.

One may say when the fixtures draw less current, lowering the trip currents may provide an additional margin for safety, but as it was the case many times before, any efficiency improvement led to just more lights being installed for the same area, so rather increasing and not decreasing the loading and energy demand, so the installation will likely get loaded fully again...

No more selfballasted c***

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED Streetlighting Conversion Question « Reply #2 on: September 05, 2022, 12:33:54 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 Thanks !! I also asked my brother today who is an electrical engineer and he said the same thing .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: LED Streetlighting Conversion Question « Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 03:55:14 PM » Author: AngryHorse
I’d guess no, as Medved says, the circuit protection was there to protect the cables, and as far as I know, our LED changeover was just columns and lanterns, the cables were never changed?

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 56,654 hrs @ 14/9/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

flyoffacliff

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED Streetlighting Conversion Question « Reply #4 on: September 07, 2022, 08:38:48 PM » Author: flyoffacliff
I have seen conversions where they combine 3 circuits into 1 at the panel because of the drop in amps. Reduces space needed by the panels. But the oversized wires are left in place unless they are bad.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies