Author Topic: A ballast that well operate a 50W mv bulb  (Read 1026 times)
Dnarb52

View Posts
View Gallery

A ballast that well operate a 50W mv bulb « on: August 22, 2022, 07:08:10 PM » Author: Dnarb52
 Would a RL-140-TP operate a 50 W MV bulb
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A ballast that well operate a 50W mv bulb « Reply #1 on: August 23, 2022, 07:07:22 AM » Author: Medved
If I'm correct, you are talking about 1xF40T12 ballast. That would deliver too low current for the 50W MV lamp.
50W MV needs 0.6A ARC (not the mains, unless it is just a simple series choke with no PFC) current, the F40T12 is designed for 0.42A.

The current on the label means MAINS current and that is not relevant (again, unless the ballast is a plain choke; but 120V mains and a 90V arc MV can not be that)

No more selfballasted c***

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A ballast that well operate a 50W mv bulb « Reply #2 on: August 23, 2022, 09:53:44 AM » Author: funkybulb
  The only alternitive balllast to replace a 50 watt MV ballast is a magnetic 39 watt MH ballast here in the US.  It will underdrive
 The lamp slightly.  But it will work better than your fluorescent
  Ballast set up. 

Prolly next best but not yet tried
 But it will need some experment by using
 A F48 HO ballast and wire a cap in series
 To reduce the lamp current but dont know
 What cap value to use.   let me get back with
  You on that one. 

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A ballast that well operate a 50W mv bulb « Reply #3 on: August 23, 2022, 10:01:50 AM » Author: Medved
But with the MH ballast you should not forget to deactivate its ignitor (cut the N wire towards the ignitor,...).

No more selfballasted c***

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: A ballast that well operate a 50W mv bulb « Reply #4 on: September 05, 2022, 06:02:07 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Another approach is to run a pair of 26w G24D3 PL-C preheat CFL ballasts in parallel because a single 26w G24D3 PL-C CFL lamp runs at around 100v 0.3a and connecting both of those ballasts in parallel should give a nearly spot on current of 0.6a. However, for a pair of HX autotransformer ballasts connected in parallel, you would need to get an identical pair of ballasts and make sure that the phasing is good between them. Alternatively, you could source a 120v to 277v step up transformer and use a pair of 277v 26w G24D3 PL-C preheat CFL series choke ballasts connected in parallel as well to give a nearly spot on lamp current of 0.6a as well.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: A ballast that well operate a 50W mv bulb « Reply #5 on: September 05, 2022, 06:12:11 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
In addition, having access to 200v-277v mains can also give you more flexibility in ballasting a 50w H46 mercury vapor lamp because you can use various combinations of incandescent lamps and/or inductor coils in series with the mercury vapor bulb to see if they deliver the correct current as well.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 06:27:29 PM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies