Author Topic: Bad Ballast or Bad Bulb?  (Read 3079 times)
Mandolin Girl
Re: Bad Ballast or Bad Bulb? « Reply #15 on: April 02, 2022, 11:46:35 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
You need something like this to test discharge lamps with.  :wndr:
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Bad Ballast or Bad Bulb? « Reply #16 on: April 02, 2022, 08:41:55 PM » Author: 108CAM
I'll do a few more tests just to be sure of the issue

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 18
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 15
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Bad Ballast or Bad Bulb? « Reply #17 on: April 04, 2022, 01:22:30 AM » Author: 108CAM
First a big thanks to everyone who has helped me with this, I really appreciate it.
After doing some tests and rewiring the fixture again, I can now say that it's a bad bulb and that the ballast works fine as it didn't blow up during all the testing I did. I've done continuity checks on everything and verified no open circuits. I also recut and restripped all the wires, replaced the ground/earth wire and repositioned the terminal block so there's less strain on the wires. All that's left now is finding a new bulb and doing one final test.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

1925-2002

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Bad Ballast or Bad Bulb? « Reply #18 on: April 10, 2022, 07:42:58 AM » Author: 108CAM
I tested the fixture with a 50w MV bulb that I recently got with another fixture and it worked first try!

1925-2002

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies