Author Topic: How Much Is Too Much?  (Read 2975 times)
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
How Much Is Too Much? « on: March 24, 2022, 02:20:57 PM » Author: suzukir122
Ok so... I've got a possible incoming lighting plan for my living room. Right now I use four Sadlite desk lamps. Three of them contain two PL-L 36w lamps,
running on magnetic PL-L Rapid Start ballasts that are HPF. The fourth one contains two PL-L 18w lamps, running on two separate HPF Rapid Start ballasts
rated for 18w PL-L lamps. I also have a 9w screw in adapter, screwed into a table lamp downstairs. That one is preheat. These are all
running on one switch near the front door. That switch powers a plug outlet... and using that plug outlet, I managed to create a chain
of cords leading to power strips, for me to plug in each desk lamp. Two desk lamps downstairs, and two desk lamps upstairs in my loft...
all used as uplighting.
Now... for my next plan, I'd be purchasing seven F30T12 two lamp strip fixtures, all of which would be put on shelves and used as uplighting.
Three F30T12 fixtures for my downstairs living room, and four F30T12 fixtures for my loft.
My question is... how much is too much? In other words, would I have to worry about the circuit breaker trippin? Would I have to worry about possible
catastrophic proof that this is a bad idea? Or should that plug outlet be able to handle seven F30T12 fixtures running on it with no problem?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 02:24:12 PM by suzukir122 » Logged

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How Much Is Too Much? « Reply #1 on: March 24, 2022, 03:41:21 PM » Author: sol
I'd just add all the line input current (not lamp current) and it should not exceed about 12A for constant use (which would load the circuit to 80% of its 15A rating). If you exceed 12A, I'd consider splitting it up on two circuits. Seven 2xF30 fixtures will likely not be a problem, depending on what else you have plugged in that circuit.
Rommie
Re: How Much Is Too Much? « Reply #2 on: March 24, 2022, 03:41:50 PM » Author: Rommie
It's a bad idea to daisy-chain extension cords/strips. It's also not a good idea to rely on a single plug and socket for everything. Regardless of whether it could be an overload or not, it's a single point of failure.

If these lamps are a permanent installation, they should really be fed from permanent wiring, not a hotch-potch of extension cables.
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: How Much Is Too Much? « Reply #3 on: March 24, 2022, 04:41:51 PM » Author: suzukir122
@Rommie, that's what I've been thinking. So far, I'm using five extension cords total with four of them being single outlet cords.
Three of them are 15ft cords. This set up, at least with these PL-L desk lamps, has worked *so far* for the last three years since I've
been here. So far...
@Sol, yeah, seven two lamp F30T12 fixtures would be it for me. I wouldn't add anything else to that circuit. I'm wanting to also reduce the amount
of extension cords for this plan as well, if I follow through with it.
There is a possibility that I might reduce the fixtures down to F20T12 fixtures, or maybe find energy saver versions of the F30T12s...? Could
this be a possible solution? Maybe go with T8 3 footers instead with electronic ballasts?

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: How Much Is Too Much? « Reply #4 on: March 26, 2022, 05:57:44 PM » Author: suzukir122
I'm gonna find alternatives to my new plan in an effort to reduce the load of electricity to that single plug outlet. One alternative is
purchasing single lamp 30w strips and installing full powered single lamp HPF R.S ballasts rated for F30T12's. << Now THAT should be tough to find online.
Especially the fixtures. But I want to keep the look of 3 fixtures downstairs and 4 fixtures upstairs, all in tandem with one another.

Interests:

Rommie
Re: How Much Is Too Much? « Reply #5 on: March 26, 2022, 06:23:20 PM » Author: Rommie
If you want them all to switch on and off together, you might want to look into some form of remote control for the switches. That way it doesn't matter where any of them get their power from, just feed them from the nearest available outlet  :wndr:
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: How Much Is Too Much? « Reply #6 on: March 26, 2022, 06:33:52 PM » Author: suzukir122
@Rommie,  :o  that sounds like an awesome plan... it really does! But that's out of my forte, unfortunately. I don't know how to set up something like
that, nor do I know whether I'm allowed to do such a thing at this apartment.
Now... if I found a way to do that safely, or if there were a easy video tutorial on how to do it, this is something I might possibly look into. Especially
if I could safely run 7 two lamp F30T12 strips remotely, starting them up all at the same time.

Interests:

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: How Much Is Too Much? « Reply #7 on: March 26, 2022, 07:02:11 PM » Author: suzukir122
... @Rommie, you might've sparked another possible idea. If it were possible for me to find some sort of plug-in "power outlets" that can be
activated by a single remote, this may help me significantly, and the power to the fixtures would be from different plug outlets instead of one
single outlet. I don't know of such device, but... if anyone knows of plug in outlets that can be activated by a remote, let me know.
It sounds stupid... but.... it just might work.
I've got tons of plug outlets in my apartment, especially in the loft, that have no use to me right now.

Interests:

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: How Much Is Too Much? « Reply #8 on: March 26, 2022, 07:04:54 PM » Author: joseph_125
I have several of those remotely controlled power outlets in use. You can get them in sets of three that can all be controlled off a single hardware remote, or the WiFi connected ones that are controlled using a phone app. Those also can be programmed to serve as timers. I usually buy the TP-Link brand ones, they're around $10 each on sale at Best Buy.

I used to buy the ones with the dedicated remote but I switched to the WiFi ones, you can program them to turn on/off all at once from your phone and you can also program them to come on automatically when you get home. There's also replacement wall swtiches that work off the same phone app so you can control overhead lights too. You'll need a neutral in the wallbox though.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 07:11:46 PM by joseph_125 » Logged
Rommie
Re: How Much Is Too Much? « Reply #9 on: March 26, 2022, 07:15:16 PM » Author: Rommie
Yeah, you can get plug-in remotes, you can get them to replace standard light switches as well.
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: How Much Is Too Much? « Reply #10 on: March 26, 2022, 08:19:18 PM » Author: suzukir122
@Rommie, @Joseph_125, so I could buy remote controlled plug outlets, and activate all of them through one single remote?
If this is really the case, the seven two lamp F30T12 fixture idea just might be back in order...

Interests:

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How Much Is Too Much? « Reply #11 on: March 26, 2022, 08:59:23 PM » Author: sol
Not sure if they are still available but you might want to look into X10 modules. They typically don’t need computerized programming as they are « programmed » by turning a couple of rotary switches with a screwdriver on each module. Just be careful not to get dimming ones for fluorescent fixtures.
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: How Much Is Too Much? « Reply #12 on: March 27, 2022, 12:52:59 AM » Author: suzukir122
Yeah that's something I forgot to clarify... any dimming circuits or dimming programmed plug outlets, etc... all things I'll be avoiding.
But yeah... I think pics or maybe even videos of these plug in remote controlled outlets, modules, etc, would help me significantly, since I
don't know what to buy, or what to trust.

Interests:

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: How Much Is Too Much? « Reply #13 on: March 27, 2022, 02:19:17 AM » Author: joseph_125
In terms of the "smart home" style remote controlled outlets. I pretty much only use TP-Link's offerings. They seem to be generally decent made and decently priced. I usually get the ones with relays that are rated for 13A or 15A loads depending on which version. Those should be sufficient for most lights unless you plan to run like a 1500w MH on it. They're pretty easy to setup as long as you have a smartphone. 

X-10 is another option if you want to avoid the "smart home" style outlets. Unfortunately I have no experience with those.
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: How Much Is Too Much? « Reply #14 on: March 27, 2022, 03:01:18 AM » Author: suzukir122
@Joseph_125, yeah with my idea involving the remote controlled outlets (although I'm also gonna keep the smart home idea in mind as well) there
shouldn't be extreme amounts of amp loads used in any of those outlets, since I'll be using separate wall outlets for each portable plug in.
From what I can see, all I would need is three or four portable plug outlets, and one remote control that activates all of those portable outlets.
I have two wall outlets downstairs, and two in my loft that could be used easily for this idea. So far the best thing I've found online in terms
of what I'm looking for, is the "Indoor Wireless Remote System 3 PC." I think that remote can turn off or on all three of those portable outlets
at the same time.

Interests:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies