Author Topic: Old electrical and lighting dealer- what should I save?  (Read 4109 times)
mainstreetprod

View Posts
View Gallery

Old electrical and lighting dealer- what should I save? « on: July 03, 2021, 07:13:57 PM » Author: mainstreetprod
I purchased an old commercial building that once housed an appliance dealer / electrical supply. Stored in the second story are volumes of "junk"- appliance parts, electrical supplies from the 30's through 50's, and lots of lighting, mainly fluorescent. My first impulse was to give it all to a metal scrapper, and I have done that with some items I feel are valueless. The rest is a mystery- I'm not sure what to toss and what to keep, just in case someone wants it. Don't really want to store it for that purpose. Here's an idea of what is there lighting wise:

1) Ordinary 8 foot ceiling fixtures with ballast,  in the box

2)  more stylish 8 foot fixtures in the box, from the 30's or 40's

3) lots of louvers for the same type of fixture

4) Tubes, tubes, and more tubes,"new" in the deteriorating box. They are mostly small diameter (hi output?) single pin 8 foot and 4 foot. I'll add "T" numbers later, not at the location right now

5) piles of larger diameter tubes, not in the box, some with complex shapes I've never seen in a fluorescent tube

6) Chrome "camper bathroom" type fluorescent fixture

7) A few Art Deco incandescent  light globes

8) Lots of incandescent ceiling fixtures, used

9) "Moe" can light lenses, new in box

10) Green porcelain shade hanging fixtures

11) Hundreds of green "holiday" bulbs in deteriorating boxes

12) The original store sign out front from the 30's- NFS, but I knew you would want to see it

13) Those 30's fluorescent fixtures that hang a couple of feet from the ceiling with two rigid downloads

What do you think needs to go right in the trash, and what should be saved for posterity?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 07:18:47 PM by mainstreetprod » Logged
vintagefluorescent

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Old electrical and lighting dealer- what should I save? « Reply #1 on: July 03, 2021, 07:34:24 PM » Author: vintagefluorescent
When You get a chance could You please post some pictures of The fluorescent light fixtures and fluorescent bulbs ,

I may be interested in making a purchase,

Fluorescent bulbs I’m looking for will Read F100T17 and F65T17 on the etches ,as well as F90T17 also looking for early fluorescent light bulbs that have brass end caps and most likely will Read Mazda on the etch,

I also collect Art Deco fluorescent light fixtures,

Also please feel free to PM me and thank You so much for giving the opportunity to post here for the possibility of getting these lights saved as I’m a vintage fluorescent bulb and fixture collector ,

Thank You !

Roger
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Old electrical and lighting dealer- what should I save? « Reply #2 on: July 03, 2021, 07:41:35 PM » Author: funkybulb
 I am also a Fluorescent collector as well

Like T17 F100 or F90T17

But also any vintage tubes as well

louvered fluorescent fixtures and any  thing that that use Canster style starter is worth savng . 

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

mainstreetprod

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Old electrical and lighting dealer- what should I save? « Reply #3 on: July 03, 2021, 07:47:16 PM » Author: mainstreetprod
By Canster type starter do you mean the small twist in silver "can" with two terminals I remember old fixtures having?
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Old electrical and lighting dealer- what should I save? « Reply #4 on: July 03, 2021, 09:03:26 PM » Author: funkybulb
Yes indeed that what  i discribed.  Those type of fluorescent
 Called preheat.  These are shermin tanks of lighting.  It known
 Go on.  They still many still working today.   It very highly sought of to lighting collectors here on LG. 

As many got scrapped  or been converted to unreliable LEDs

Far as tubes goes  any black enders westinghouse or sylvaina tubes.   Sylvania tube cross hatch style etches
  And older GE tubes worth saving.   Any tubes other than
 CW is worth saving.  But CW ( cool whites) have value too
 But they got banned up until 1995.  But now it getting scarce

« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 09:06:31 PM by funkybulb » Logged

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

mainstreetprod

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Old electrical and lighting dealer- what should I save? « Reply #5 on: July 03, 2021, 09:33:20 PM » Author: mainstreetprod
I'll take some photos Monday of what I have and post them. Hate to throw away things people like, but don't have the storage to keep it all.

There are also several electric meters, lots of fuse type panel boxes and several huge GE "fuse cutouts" in the box. And piles of old ceiling fan down rods. Lots to go through.
vintagefluorescent

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Old electrical and lighting dealer- what should I save? « Reply #6 on: July 03, 2021, 10:37:36 PM » Author: vintagefluorescent
I'll take some photos Monday of what I have and post them. Hate to throw away things people like, but don't have the storage to keep it all.

There are also several electric meters, lots of fuse type panel boxes and several huge GE "fuse cutouts" in the box. And piles of old ceiling fan down rods. Lots to go through.

Ok  Great 👍 ! Thank You !
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Old electrical and lighting dealer- what should I save? « Reply #7 on: July 04, 2021, 01:12:04 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
I too would certainly be interested in seeing more of what you have, particularly fluorescents, and (Christmas lights too)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

sox35
Re: Old electrical and lighting dealer- what should I save? « Reply #8 on: July 04, 2021, 09:19:26 AM » Author: sox35

I recommend posting photos on the gallery, see here for information on how to do this.
mainstreetprod

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Old electrical and lighting dealer- what should I save? « Reply #9 on: July 05, 2021, 06:18:47 PM » Author: mainstreetprod
Looks like all my photos are too large to post, will try to resize them. Here are some numbers:

GE F48PG17CW "Power Groove" (strange indentations down the tube)

"Duro Test" 48" (can't read rest)

GE 96" T8 white

Ken-Rad 40W Warm White Standard

48" Sylvania with black ends "White"
sox35
Re: Old electrical and lighting dealer- what should I save? « Reply #10 on: July 05, 2021, 06:21:01 PM » Author: sox35
I find this site to be good for resizing pictures.
mainstreetprod

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Old electrical and lighting dealer- what should I save? « Reply #11 on: July 05, 2021, 06:27:47 PM » Author: mainstreetprod
Thanks, that worked great! Here are some photos:
sox35
Re: Old electrical and lighting dealer- what should I save? « Reply #12 on: July 05, 2021, 06:28:52 PM » Author: sox35
That's good, upload some to the gallery  8)
mainstreetprod

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Old electrical and lighting dealer- what should I save? « Reply #13 on: July 05, 2021, 06:29:08 PM » Author: mainstreetprod
more...
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Old electrical and lighting dealer- what should I save? « Reply #14 on: July 05, 2021, 09:39:11 PM » Author: funkybulb
U got quite lot good stuff there

I would be interested in those Sylvania  Black ender whites
  And those ken-rad standard warm whites

Those big fat tubes are GE power grooves
   They are very collectable now as they been out
Of production since 2012.

The F90T17 is 5ft long and thick as those power grooves
   Those in Lighting collector demand.  As GE just stop producing them in 2012.  And there were still 1000s fixtures in use at time and it got dried up quickly with out a warning to stock up on them.

Thing about PG tubes u can easly replace them with T12 VHO tubes. 

That fluorescent half moon shape is called half piper those are  again very collectable.  So u came to the right place.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 09:56:35 PM by funkybulb » Logged

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies