Author Topic: What did you do today NOT lighting wise  (Read 81619 times)
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #405 on: July 23, 2023, 10:12:22 PM » Author: Bulbman256
@Tim: That makes sense, this is the first time my accord has been driven a lot, previous owner did 4-5 thousand miles a year while I've already put on 5,500 in 6 months. It's 12 years old too which adds to your theory. The car has been issue free otherwise and is a fun car to drive around in. The ultimate game plan is to keep it going as long as possible until the engine becomes of the external combustion variety and it needs to be changed. At that Point I'll probably get another accord and turn mine into a silly little racecar with an Acura AWD drivetrain out of an older TL. :bulbman:

@Ian: I have a 2011 J35 V6 so I should be alright, I just need to do a VCM delete at some point. I have no idea why the 2023 accord only has the 1.5L as an option now, I test drove an NA 1.5L 2014 civic and it was quite underpowered. :sick: My dad's 22' accord hybrid has a 2.0L and it works pretty well with the electric drive. My dad's old 15' accord (now my brother's) had a 2.4L K24 engine with a CVT and that thing has been consistently reliable and still could hustle. Now the 3.5L V6 in my car makes that thing a [insert expletive of choice] rocket ship! :poof: (ask me how I know! :lol: :lol: :lol: ) It's still super smooth though and can be easily driven as a non lunatic if need be.  :mrg: I'm still salty about Honda killing the K24 and the J35 in the accord though, those powerplants where very well suited for the cars and messing around with turbos isn't going to fix the power and reliability issues for a mid-full sized sedan. They should have just used the 2.0 and 2.4 and they would have been fine and still had good power. I'll stick with my older cars with LCD screens and real ratchet gear shifters, unlike those silly buttons in the newest accords. 8)

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #406 on: July 23, 2023, 10:27:03 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 Personally  , I think all of the stupid electronic gizmos , CVT , AI and all of the other crap is just killing car reliability . My Brother's 92' Civic has a LED 3rd brake light which died about 3 yrs. after he bought the car and of course  , it's integrated and obsolete !!  He spent a good bit of time figuring out how to remove it from the spoiler and disassemble it so he could replace all of the LEDs and repair it .  All this computerized crap will be un-serviceable and un-updatable a lot sooner than most will admit . Then what ?? 

I'll stick with my "old junk" At least I can fix it !!

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #407 on: July 23, 2023, 10:52:09 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Tim I Personally hate all that electronic crap so I'm right with you. The CVT is a hit and miss, Honda seems to have done well with it on their cars while Nissan fell flat on their face with it. My car has a 5 speed auto and that works well enough for me. I'm of the opinion that the 2010s was inflection point in cars where the added technology started to burden a car more then to help it. Sort of the idea that we crossed the peak of diminishing returns and things like touch screens and hyper advance engine setups that require computers to service are hurting the quality. My car is all buttons and the simple LCD screen does its job to tell me how cold the AC is and what CD I'm playing. The only non standard luxury features of this time that I like are heated seats and a kickass sound system, both of which my car does excellent at. :D I see the screens as large distractions to the driver and the other things as more breakables, kind of like the weird features of 80-90s luxury cars that never lasted. My car is thankfully all tungsten exterior lighting and the 3rd break light lamp can be easily accessed from the trunk. I do think LED exterior lights will become an issue as getting new units after 10 years would be a pain, as opposed to standardized lamps that will still be made. :wndr:

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #408 on: July 23, 2023, 11:15:48 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah, I'm a fan of the older layouts with physical controls for heat/AC, radio, etc. I suppose the screen for GPS is nice but I never really drove with GPS and instead know most of the main roads around my area. If I'm going to a new place, I'll sometimes stick a tiny post it with a hand drawn map of the area, old school but it works. I drive a fairly old vehicle, so knobs for heat/AC, window cranks, and buttons for most other features and not a single touch screen. I did take out the stock AM/FM/Cassette radio and swapped in a AM/FM/Bluetooth radio mostly for the hands free calling feature, which is the only way you can legally make calls here while driving. Still using the stock halogens for headlights and incandescent lamps for pretty much all the other lights.

I think 2010-2015 is around the sweet spot if you want a vehicle with the older style controls but relatively modern features. Most vehicles from that era also use a double DIN radio that can be replaced with a after market one so if you want the electronic stuff like Android Auto, Apple Carplay, reversing cameras, etc they can be retrofitted in by swapping the factory head unit.

TBH I think a lot of people feel that way about the amount of electronic gadgets in modern vehicles, unfortunately pretty much most modern vehicles, aside from stuff like work vans have a lot of electronics in them.   
Rommie
Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #409 on: July 24, 2023, 08:38:26 AM » Author: Rommie
And with physical controls you learn where they are by touch, whereas with a touch screen you need to take your eyes off the road to find the dratted 'button'  :poof:
Rommie
Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #410 on: July 24, 2023, 08:48:20 AM » Author: Rommie
Somehow, this thread seems to have become "What's wrong with Max's car this week..?"  :mrg:

I agree that cars are becoming ever more complicated with all the electronics and computers. Some of the Tesla models are ridiculous, with a huge 17" screen in the middle of the dash, with all the controls on it, and nothing, not even a speedo, in front of the driver, which means you have to take your eyes off the road to do just about anything. What's that all about  ???

Still, before long we'll all be walking everywhere, they're making it so you just can't have fun in cars any more. Not only do we have these ULEZ things (Ultra Low Emission Zones) in a lot of city centres over here, they now want to introduce road pricing, down to the level of how many people are in the car, so they can all be charged individually. This is only in London at the moment but how long before you have to buy "carbon credits" to leave your house..??  :curse:
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #411 on: July 24, 2023, 07:59:22 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah, the touch screen for everything model is pretty silly for a vehicle IMO. Stuff like heat/AC, defrost, and volume should be a knob or a button and not a touch screen setting so drivers don't have to take their eyes the road to adjust them. Fortunately it seems manufacturers are starting to listen as most modern vehicles have swtiched back to physical controls for those things. I noticed Teslas are pretty ridiculous for the large touch screen in the dash too.

A lot of distances here are too far to walk comfortably here even for me so I'd imagine they can't really implement stuff like that here. Plus a vast majority of people here drive so I'd imagine such a scheme here would be met with a lot of push back.

Now I don't mind walking or taking the bus/train as a alternative to driving and I do both quite frequently but stuff like that leaves a bad impression in my mind when you take away driving as a option. I think at least for my area if you want to get people to drive less, better bus and train service along widened streets for bikes etc would probably be better than some scheme to limit driving.  ::)
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #412 on: July 27, 2023, 03:07:15 AM » Author: Medved
... of course it broke when it was 95F outside and as soon as it's fixed the temps dip into the low 70s in mid july..... ::)

And now you now know why we call "the umbrella" as "the rain preventer"... :-)

No more selfballasted c***

Mandolin Girl
Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #413 on: August 08, 2023, 11:19:33 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
We were up at stupid o'clock this morning (yes, I know, the "M" word  :o) for the engineers to come and install our full fibre broadband connection, we're now getting a stonking speed, see below ;D
Rommie
Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #414 on: August 08, 2023, 08:02:08 PM » Author: Rommie
I never imagined we would end up with speeds this fast, I remember being blown away by getting 2Mbs.! :poof:
Rommie
Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #415 on: August 09, 2023, 10:06:11 AM » Author: Rommie
It slows down a bit when we use a VPN, but that's to be expected, I suppose  :-\
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #416 on: August 11, 2023, 12:54:59 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 Today's project : I replaced the A/C compressor in the SubaFord . I now have working A/C again ! I found a good used one on eBay for a fifth of what a reman would've cost .

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #417 on: August 17, 2023, 11:05:44 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Had fun chucking pieces of pews today into a dumpster as my church is renovating and they needed some help. :mrg: I also got some small steel plates from the pew's mounting brackets for turning into ballast brackets in the future.  :)

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #418 on: August 18, 2023, 12:30:05 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 I betcha they smelled funny !  :mrg: :lol:

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #419 on: August 30, 2023, 04:26:27 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Somehow, this thread seems to have become "What's wrong with Max's car this week..?"  :mrg:

I agree that cars are becoming ever more complicated with all the electronics and computers. Some of the Tesla models are ridiculous, with a huge 17" screen in the middle of the dash, with all the controls on it, and nothing, not even a speedo, in front of the driver, which means you have to take your eyes off the road to do just about anything. What's that all about  ???

Still, before long we'll all be walking everywhere, they're making it so you just can't have fun in cars any more. Not only do we have these ULEZ things (Ultra Low Emission Zones) in a lot of city centres over here, they now want to introduce road pricing, down to the level of how many people are in the car, so they can all be charged individually. This is only in London at the moment but how long before you have to buy "carbon credits" to leave your house..??  :curse:
Now Mr K has got it up and running, it’ll spread like wildfire now all over the country!
Pay per mile is next, totally agree with you on Teslas, we have many of them at work, their garbage!, still its all part of the plan, “you will own nothing an be happy”

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 55,394 hrs @ 1/6/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies