Author Topic: Thorn EMI t8 ip65 starter  (Read 2973 times)
woodturner

View Posts
View Gallery

Thorn EMI t8 ip65 starter « on: April 02, 2021, 03:01:28 PM » Author: woodturner
Hello, new member here. i have recently been given some 6 foot thorn emi t8 ip65 flourescent striplights. i have had to change the starter on one but after removal of the old starter the wires came out of the push on clip. would anyone be able to help with a wiring diagram at all? on the starter there are 2 dates, 1979 and 1983 so was unsure which category this falls into.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 03:23:33 PM by woodturner » Logged
woodturner

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Thorn EMI t8 ip65 starter « Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 03:20:18 PM » Author: woodturner
Hello, new member here. i have recently been given some 6 foot thorn emi t8 ip65 flourescent striplights. i have had to change the starter on one but after removal of the old starter the wires came out of the push on clip. would anyone be able to help with a wiring diagram at all? on the starter there are 2 dates, 1979 and 1983 so was unsure which category this falls into.
LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: Thorn EMI t8 ip65 starter « Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 03:33:38 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
Welcome to Lighting-Gallery.net!

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

**If anyone wants to learn more about any company or product you've never heard of before, do please leave a comment saying so on one of my gallery pictures or by PM, and I'd be happy to give a thorough explanation.**

sox35
Re: Thorn EMI t8 ip65 starter « Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 03:36:29 PM » Author: sox35
Hi, and welcome to LG. That's not a starter, but a capacitor, and is used for power factor correction. In a UK fixture it's usually wired directly across the incoming supply. It's not absolutely essential for the fitting to operate, but it can have an effect on the power consumed in certain circumstances. The year 1979 shown in the picture is the date of the British Standard it refers to, I can't see another year figure, but that will be the year of manufacture.

Sometimes, these capacitors can lose effectiveness over time, especially if they've been unused for a few years, but 6µF is a common value, I probably have a few in my spares box, so I could let you have one if you'd like, but as I said it's not critical for the fixture's operation.

Any questions feel free to get in touch.

Ria  :love:
woodturner

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Thorn EMI t8 ip65 starter « Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 03:45:00 PM » Author: woodturner
Hi and thanks for the welcome, i appreciate your corrections, the reason i thought to change it was the light would not light. it would try to light then give up. classic symptom which requires a new starter. i think. i think, again, that other than this capacitor there are only 2 ballasts in there. would i be right and what do i need to do to rectify the problem? :love:
woodturner

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Thorn EMI t8 ip65 starter « Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 03:55:42 PM » Author: woodturner
wouldmore photos help, clearly you can see my knowledge is limited to say the least
woodturner

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Thorn EMI t8 ip65 starter « Reply #6 on: April 02, 2021, 04:08:17 PM » Author: woodturner
thanks and interesting
sox35
Re: Thorn EMI t8 ip65 starter « Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 04:08:32 PM » Author: sox35
There should be starters, they're little cylindrical devices with two pins which go into a small socket, usually through the casing of the fixture, like those here. These are dirt cheap on places like eBay, and are easily replaceable. The circuit is simple enough, incoming feed to ballast, output of ballast to one end of lamp, from the other terminal on that end to the starter, then to the other end of the tube and back to neutral. There is sometimes a diagram on the ballast, but with these older ones it's not often there.

The PFC capacitor isn't electrically necessary, but I'm a bit of an obsessive when it comes to them, so I always use them.

A couple more photos would be useful, yes.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 04:11:46 PM by sox35 » Logged
woodturner

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Thorn EMI t8 ip65 starter « Reply #8 on: April 02, 2021, 04:35:42 PM » Author: woodturner
Are these any good
woodturner

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Thorn EMI t8 ip65 starter « Reply #9 on: April 02, 2021, 04:36:33 PM » Author: woodturner
woodturner

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Thorn EMI t8 ip65 starter « Reply #10 on: April 02, 2021, 04:39:48 PM » Author: woodturner
It won’t let me post a video which would help
sox35
Re: Thorn EMI t8 ip65 starter « Reply #11 on: April 02, 2021, 04:41:18 PM » Author: sox35
No, you can't post videos, we don't have the capacity, but you can link to Youtube ones in the photo gallery. No little starters as I described..?
By the way you can upload 4 images in a post here if the sizes are small enough.
Beta 5

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Thorn EMI t8 ip65 starter « Reply #12 on: April 02, 2021, 05:38:55 PM » Author: Beta 5
That's a Thorn Vivatronic, its a built in electronic starter used in place of a standard glow starter & holder.
It may not be lighting if the capacitors terminals are broken off, as a lot of the time the live is taken from the incoming terminal block, to the capacitor then onto the ballast.

Have you got a photo of the whole gear tray?

Fluorescent Forever :lfl:

sox35
Re: Thorn EMI t8 ip65 starter « Reply #13 on: April 02, 2021, 05:46:11 PM » Author: sox35
Ah, thanks Thomas, I didn't realise that  :-[
woodturner

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Thorn EMI t8 ip65 starter « Reply #14 on: April 02, 2021, 05:47:29 PM » Author: woodturner
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies