Author Topic: Why do some 35-400w SIP ignitors have 70w double ended HPS for the lowest HPS?  (Read 979 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Why do some 35-400w SIP ignitors have 70w double ended HPS for the lowest HPS? « on: February 02, 2021, 04:46:08 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Whenever I was looking for superimposed ignitors to add to my lighting collection, I noticed that some of the ignitors had “HS *70-400w” where the asterisk next to the 70 meant to use only double ended European 70w high pressure sodium lamps for the lowest high pressure sodium wattage rating? I wonder why these ignitors are not rated for European 70w single ended E27 high pressure sodium lamps and European 35w and 50w high pressure sodium lamps while they are rated to run quartz and ceramic pulse start metal halide lamps from 35w-400w?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do some 35-400w SIP ignitors have 70w double ended HPS for the lowest HPS? « Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 05:18:03 AM » Author: Medved
Could be too high peak voltage, exceeding what the E27 are rated for? Remind in Europe are no special "pulse rated" sockets, all relies on the generic 230V installation overvoltage robustness requirement.
And these ignitors may have exceeded that voltage.

No more selfballasted c***

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Why do some 35-400w SIP ignitors have 70w double ended HPS for the lowest HPS? « Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 04:23:55 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Could be too high peak voltage, exceeding what the E27 are rated for? Remind in Europe are no special "pulse rated" sockets, all relies on the generic 230V installation overvoltage robustness requirement.
And these ignitors may have exceeded that voltage.

In addition, I frequently see that these ignitors are rated to run pulse start metal halide lamps down to 35w with E27 bases too.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Why do some 35-400w SIP ignitors have 70w double ended HPS for the lowest HPS? « Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 08:15:10 AM » Author: dor123
Ceramic E27 socket is can withstand the HV pulse of the ignitor.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

sox35
Re: Why do some 35-400w SIP ignitors have 70w double ended HPS for the lowest HPS? « Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 09:42:21 AM » Author: sox35
Ceramic E27 socket is can withstand the HV pulse of the ignitor.
But the wiring may not. You need to use cable that can withstand it also.
Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: Why do some 35-400w SIP ignitors have 70w double ended HPS for the lowest HPS? « Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 09:49:49 AM » Author: Binarix128
But the wiring may not. You need to use cable that can withstand it also.
What wiring would be suitable?
sox35
Re: Why do some 35-400w SIP ignitors have 70w double ended HPS for the lowest HPS? « Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 10:40:17 AM » Author: sox35
What wiring would be suitable?
Something like this would work  :bulbman:
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do some 35-400w SIP ignitors have 70w double ended HPS for the lowest HPS? « Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 03:32:30 AM » Author: Ash
Not all E27 sockets are made to withstand the pulse and some that are are not rated to the full >4kV pulse of higher power ignitors. In reality they withstand it well as long as the socket and lamp base are dry, but this is not allways the case in a lantern working outdoors

Why <70W halides dont have the comment ? Most E27 halides we have here (<150W) are in fact E26 American Pulse Start lamps. Which makes me think that it is just a less common lamp format in Europe. The R7s and pin base halides are designed for the full ignitor voltage

Also, the "proper" ignitors for low power lamps like VS Z70 have lower pulse voltage. This probably helps prevent trouble with E27 sockets in damp environments

The wiring that's to be used on the ignitor output (L) is a Silicone insulated wire with somewhat thicker insulation. (Near the lamp socket the N gotta be silicone too to withstand the heat). In many luminaires ordinary PVC wire is used and it appears to work ok most of the time, but occasionally it does breakdown - Most likely when combined with some other factors like moisture
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies