Author Topic: Streetlight manufacturers not offering CMH?  (Read 1533 times)
CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Streetlight manufacturers not offering CMH? « on: January 27, 2021, 08:53:52 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
I find that when I scroll through spec sheets of HID street lights CMH isn't listed as an option. Is it a special order that you have to make? I'd love to get a CMH cobrahead someday.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Streetlight manufacturers not offering CMH? « Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 10:14:26 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
I find that when I scroll through spec sheets of HID street lights CMH isn't listed as an option. Is it a special order that you have to make? I'd love to get a CMH cobrahead someday.

Ceramic metal halide lamps would use the same ballast as pulse start metal halide. So if you order a pulse start metal halide you'd just buy a CMH lamp for it.
CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Streetlight manufacturers not offering CMH? « Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 10:24:37 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Ceramic metal halide lamps would use the same ballast as pulse start metal halide. So if you order a pulse start metal halide you'd just buy a CMH lamp for it.
Oh ok, I thought they only used electronic ballasts.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Streetlight manufacturers not offering CMH? « Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 10:26:30 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
Oh ok, I thought they only used electronic ballasts.

I don't think so but not sure.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Streetlight manufacturers not offering CMH? « Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 10:37:08 PM » Author: joseph_125
I believe it depends on the lamp, some low wattage sizes like 20w are pretty much only designed to be used with electronic ballasts while some are recommended to be used with electronic for better colour consistency and maintenance.

Generally the screw based equipped CMH lamps should run fine on a magnetic ballast. 
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Streetlight manufacturers not offering CMH? « Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 12:05:07 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Does anyone even list MH as an option anymore ??  I remember that GE dropped the MH options in something like 2017 I think .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Streetlight manufacturers not offering CMH? « Reply #6 on: January 28, 2021, 01:02:35 AM » Author: joseph_125
Cooper and American Electric both still list metal halide as an option on their spec sheets (all 2020 revisions) so I guess they at least still build them to order. American Electric still lists a fair range of wattages. Cooper is a bit more limited with most luminaires only available in the 250w to 400w range for metal halide.

That being said I'm sure if you're a big enough customer and are making a huge order they'll offer you a lot more options. Like the NYC special 150w S56 electronically ballasted Cooper luminaires. 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 01:08:17 AM by joseph_125 » Logged
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Streetlight manufacturers not offering CMH? « Reply #7 on: January 28, 2021, 01:03:57 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
I have lots of 50w CMH lamps, they run great on Magnetic ballasts.
HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Streetlight manufacturers not offering CMH? « Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 01:39:17 PM » Author: HPS_250
Street lighting manufacturers usually do not offer CMH fixtures separately from PSMH fixtures. I believe that Cooper Lighting is the only manufacturer left making MH cobraheads. They offer the OVX, OVY, and OVH in PSMH. If I recall correctly, the OVX is offered in 200-400w MH, and the OVY/OVH are 250w MH only.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Streetlight manufacturers not offering CMH? « Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 06:36:51 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
Street lighting manufacturers usually do not offer CMH fixtures separately from PSMH fixtures. I believe that Cooper Lighting is the only manufacturer left making MH cobraheads. They offer the OVX, OVY, and OVH in PSMH. If I recall correctly, the OVX is offered in 200-400w MH, and the OVY/OVH are 250w MH only.

As Joe mentioned American Electric Lighting still offers PSMH as well. I just recently ordered two PSMH cobraheads from AEL.
fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Streetlight manufacturers not offering CMH? « Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 06:46:41 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
I just recently ordered two PSMH cobraheads from AEL.
Cool! What wattage and model are they?
HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Streetlight manufacturers not offering CMH? « Reply #11 on: January 28, 2021, 06:48:26 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
Cool! What wattage and model are they?

Both are series 115. One is 100w PSMH with glass refractor and the other is 70w PSMH with a polycarbonate refractor.
tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Streetlight manufacturers not offering CMH? « Reply #12 on: January 29, 2021, 01:06:50 AM » Author: tolivac
At one time Philips offered 210W and 315W CMH retrofit ballast,lamp,socket,and reflector kits for 250W and 400W Mercury,HPS streetlight fixtures.The funny thing is the 210W and 315W CMH lamps were originally developed by Philips for streetlights.Now they are used in grow light fixtures!210W,315W CMH lamps use electronic LF square wave electronic/digital ballasts.They were not intended to be used on sine wave magnetic or electronic/digital HF ballasts.You can also get 1000W and 500W CMH lamps and fixtures from grow lamp suppliers.
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Streetlight manufacturers not offering CMH? « Reply #13 on: January 31, 2021, 12:46:11 AM » Author: Cole D.
Both are series 115. One is 100w PSMH with glass refractor and the other is 70w PSMH with a polycarbonate refractor.

Do mind saying the costs?

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies